Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Nav warning screen pops up every startup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav warning screen pops up every startup?

So, I was finally able to get my hands on the 2013 Nissan/Infinity nav disk. In the manual it says the only the first time you start up the nav disk, you will be given a warning message and language selection, and you need to press 'agree' to continue. My problem is that every time I restart my car, I have to hit 'agree'. Is this normal? How can I make it go away? It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's annoying to have to press it every time I start my car. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummm
Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jcollege
Ummm
And hows that? This disk is the latest disk for the 1st gen CTS-V
Old 04-23-2019, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that disc supposed to work with the unit in the V? I’ve never heard that.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by isis
Correct. Its the latest US map you can get for the gen 1 V. Odd I know, but it works. If anyone needs a copy, pm me and I can help you.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Interested. I mainly use my iPhone but the last disc I have doesn’t work well. Sending PM

Originally Posted by Paul Ashley
Correct. Its the latest US map you can get for the gen 1 V. Odd I know, but it works. If anyone needs a copy, pm me and I can help you.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had ABSOLUTELY no clue on that...my bad. It is even worth using?
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Honestly, I do kinda like it. Considering the fact that I normally don't use the screen for just about anything, it at least gives it a purpose. It's not really something you would want to use for navigation over your phone, but it's nice to have a display of the streets around you if you ever need to quickly improvise a route. I find that its accurate 99% of the time. Roads haven't changed much in 6 years.

Fun fact: If you didn't know, you can send directions via infrared from your palm device to your gps.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

So, I was finally able to get my hands on the 2013 Nissan/Infinity nav disk. In the manual it says the only the first time you start up the nav disk, you will be given a warning message and language selection, and you need to press 'agree' to continue. My problem is that every time I restart my car, I have to hit 'agree'. Is this normal? How can I make it go away? It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's annoying to have to press it every time I start my car. Thanks!
I only get the nav warning screen if I press the NAV button to activate the system. It does not come on every time I start the car. When you turn off the car, do you have it on the radio screen or on the nav screen? It seems to me that the screen that comes up when you start the car is somewhat dependent on what screen you were on when you shut it off. [I say somewhat dependent, because it doesn't always seem to be the case, which has never made any sense to me. Sometimes if I'm on a road trip and stop for gas, when I start the car back up the destination comes right back up and it resumes route guidance without me having to do anything. Other times I stop for gas and when I start the car back up the route guidance has stopped, and I have to go into "recent destinations" and re-select my destination. I've never figured that **** out!]

I believe it was "heavymetals" over on CF.com that originally discovered and shared that the Nissan/Infiniti nav systems from around the same timeframe used compatible disks. The last GM update was 2009, so it's nice to have something newer than that. I still use the nav system in my V - well, I do when it's running - didn't have a smartphone until a few months ago, and even with the smartphone (and it's better nav features) it's still nice to have a larger screen to look at sometimes.

I found my Nissan/Infiniti disk by looking for an update disk for a 2005 Q45. Got it a couple/few years ago, works like a charm. The 2013 is the last update that Nissan/Infiniti did, so that's the most current disk for our system AFAIK.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I only get the nav warning screen if I press the NAV button to activate the system. It does not come on every time I start the car. When you turn off the car, do you have it on the radio screen or on the nav screen? It seems to me that the screen that comes up when you start the car is somewhat dependent on what screen you were on when you shut it off. [I say [i]somewhat dependent, because it doesn't always seem to be the case, which has never made any sense to me. Sometimes if I'm on a road trip and stop for gas, when I start the car back up the destination comes right back up and it resumes route guidance without me having to do anything. Other times I stop for gas and when I start the car back up the route guidance has stopped, and I have to go into "recent destinations" and re-select my destination. I've never figured that **** out!]
I just always have it on the nav screen and it asks for it every time the car starts. It won't ask if I'm not using the nav. So it seems like you're sharing the same experience as I am. But like I said in my original post, it say's in the manual that you will only have to acknowledge the warning once. Also, there are other people who don't get this screen every nav startup. I believe the issue points to the radio and not the disk. But I could be wrong.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you shut the car off with the nav running, the default will be to restart in nav mode, so you get the greeting and warning screen.

If you shut the car off without the nav (radio mode) then the restart should default to the radio mode.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by heavymetals
If you shut the car off with the nav running, the default will be to restart in nav mode, so you get the greeting and warning screen.

If you shut the car off without the nav (radio mode) then the restart should default to the radio mode.
Yeah, but thats not really the question I'm asking if you read my original post. My question is how to stop that warning screen every time I enter NAV regardless of if it was on startup or if I entered NAV after startup.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just always have it on the nav screen and it asks for it every time the car starts. It won't ask if I'm not using the nav. So it seems like you're sharing the same experience as I am. But like I said in my original post, it say's in the manual that you will only have to acknowledge the warning once. Also, there are other people who don't get this screen every nav startup. I believe the issue points to the radio and not the disk. But I could be wrong.
Mine behaves the same way yours does. I’d love it if it didn’t as well.

I’d like a copy of the disk if you know where to find one.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

mine behaves the same way yours does. I’d like a cooy of the disk if you know where to find one.
Good to know. Id still like input from a few more people as this isnt the case for everyone from what ive gathered. Shoot me a PM. I can help you out
Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, but thats not really the question I'm asking if you read my original post. My question is how to stop that warning screen every time I enter NAV regardless of if it was on startup or if I entered NAV after startup.
You can't. Even if you could keep power to the HU the shutoff sends a classII signal to the HU and it would shut down.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

My Honda always does the NAG screen + always starts in NAV rather than on the radio..
Its literally become the first thing I check when I buy a new car.. Its a full stop if it can't be
disabled or programmed as I like it,, since on the new cars,, swapping the head unit has
become an adventure and big $$ on many of them..
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by heavymetals
You can't. Even if you could keep power to the HU the shutoff sends a classII signal to the HU and it would shut down.
Yeah. Still not what I'm talking about. The facts are. In the manual, it specifically says "during initial setup" you will have to hit agree for the NAV. There are other users who say they don't have to hit agree every time they enter nav. I have to hit agree anytime I enter nav, others do not. Which means the data for hitting the agree button is being stored somewhere. I want to figure out why mine isnt being stored.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

The last update I got for my Honda said it was going to delete the nag screen,, they lied..
Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
The last update I got for my Honda said it was going to delete the nag screen,, they lied..
No offence, but why are you ranting about your honda on a cadillac forum?

Last edited by Paul Ashley; 04-24-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I just always have it on the nav screen and it asks for it every time the car starts. It won't ask if I'm not using the nav. So it seems like you're sharing the same experience as I am.
Now that I understand what you're asking, yes, I see the same thing you do. I interpreted your original post to mean that you were getting the prompt as soon as you turned the car on even when you weren't using the NAV.

But like I said in my original post, it say's in the manual that you will only have to acknowledge the warning once.
Yeah. Still not what I'm talking about. The facts are. In the manual, it specifically says "during initial setup" you will have to hit agree for the NAV.
Where specifically are you reading that in the manual? I don't see anything about "during initial setup".

In the 2005 Navigation System manual, it says on 1-7 "Select Navigation to display the Nav System Startup screen if you not previously accessed the Nav system since you turned on the ignition. You must press Agree in order to continue using the navigation system." Later, on 2-2, it says the Navigation System Startup screen "will appear the first time you access the navigation system. Press the Agree reconfigurable soft key to use the navigation portion of the system." Based on what it says on 1-7, the statement on 2-2 should be interpreted to mean that you must press Agree the first time you access the Nav system after you turn on the ignition.

There are other users who say they don't have to hit agree every time they enter nav.
I've read back through this thread, and the one on CF.com, and don't see anyone who has said they don't get the warning screen when they try to access the Nav system.