Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Value of a 2005 with a hurt motor?

Old 05-24-2019, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of a 2005 with a hurt motor?

I have an 05 v with 250k miles. Either the timing chain broke or the cam gear came off so it does not run. It has $250k miles. It has a small ding in the door and the clear coat is peeling on the wheels. It was my daily until it broke. I am considering selling it the way it is but have no idea what it’s worth in this condition. It’s all stock besides a cai. Thanks in advance for some input
Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Dibs on it if u sell. I would be willing to buy as a roller also if u wanted to keep motor and trans for a diff project
Old 05-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put it up for sale or trade and someone offered me $4k the way it sits but of course, he won’t have the money for 2 weeks lol. I’m thinking about letting it go for $4k the way it sits.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Value of the V1 is tanking. What a shame. I want to say they will recover and go up in value but heck, who knows.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kra86
Value of the V1 is tanking. What a shame. I want to say they will recover and go up in value but heck, who knows.
Why do you say the value is tanking? The engine is blown and the chassis has 250k miles on it. 4k seems like a decent offer. A stock cts-v with the problems he listed with a WORKING motor at that mileage probably wouldn't go for over 8-9k. My cts-v, owned for 3.5 years, mileage 79k-108k, hasn't lost much value at all other than accounting for mileage. Bought for 15k and I could sell for 11-12k. If they go back up in price all depends on if they become a classic. Which def could happen, but uncertain.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Blue book values have been decreasing, since I began to search for something LS-based way back in 2015. Check them, that is why I say the value of them is tanking. Fact based observation presented even if we disagree, I cannot fight what I see.

For his particular ordeal, he should instantly sell for $4,000.00 if anyone offered him that, it is worth it to get out of it unless he has ways or even a desire to keep or repair the vehicle.

Of course I know going into the whole thing, cars are an essential "money burner". This is not my first nor will it be my last. I did not buy my car to resell it for more. I drive it often and have as much fun as the car allows.

I dunno how ya'll drive the thing on a stock ECU. I wanted to vomit when I first drove the car.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 AM
Staging Lane

Blue book values have been decreasing, since I began to search for something LS-based way back in 2015. Check them, that is why I say the value of them is tanking. Fact based observation presented even if we disagree, I cannot fight what I see.

For his particular ordeal, he should instantly sell for $4,000.00 if anyone offered him that, it is worth it to get out of it unless he has ways or even a desire to keep or repair the vehicle.

Of course I know going into the whole thing, cars are an essential "money burner". This is not my first nor will it be my last. I did not buy my car to resell it for more. I drive it often and have as much fun as the car allows.

I dunno how ya'll drive the thing on a stock ECU. I wanted to vomit when I first drove the car.
Have they dropped in price a bit since 2015? Yes. But are they tanking? I disagree. Typically when someone says the price of something is tanking, it means its had a sharp downturn in price recently. Which I simply don't believe is the case. These have held their price pretty well. Especially when compared to other 2005 models.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either your car is screwed up or you’re an idiot. Which one is it...
Old 05-29-2019, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1247
Either your car is screwed up or you’re an idiot. Which one is it...
The car has a torque limiting factor in low speed, low gear to reduce power. Your power is reduced by the ECU overriding whatever input your feet press the pedal by closing the throttle blade, hence limiting power. That is stupid. Removing it was the best thing possible so to answer your poorly phrased question, neither.

Once again, I do not know how ya'll enjoy driving around a car without all the power all the time in any gear at any speed. If you do, perhaps another idiot is .....
Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

The car has a torque limiting factor in low speed, low gear to reduce power. Your power is reduced by the ECU overriding whatever input your feet press the pedal by closing the throttle blade, hence limiting power. That is stupid. Removing it was the best thing possible so to answer your poorly phrased question, neither.

Once again, I do not know how ya'll enjoy driving around a car without all the power all the time in any gear at any speed. If you do, perhaps another idiot is .....
Yes, every time I drive my totally stock V1 I feel like vomiting. There’s no way it could be enjoyable to drive just the way it is.

So I have my answer...
Old 05-29-2019, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Pretty sure this was done by a previous owner already, as I don't sense any limiting, but how would one check for an aftermarket ecu?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t think I disabled it in my tune and don’t notice it at all. A stab of the throttle spins the tires just fine.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, every time I drive my totally stock V1 I feel like vomiting. There’s no way it could be enjoyable to drive just the way it is.

So I have my answer...
I was quite disappointed how the car was clearly removing power when I was requesting it. I guess your response is evident of the underlying problem. The second I took off from the tuner, it was a world of a different car. What made you go nasty in your first reply anyway? I am being objective in stating how a stock V1 car has torque limiting values placed upon it and you want to be mean? Very strange behavior..If you do not wish to understand anymore that is fine, but there is no reason to be nasty over the internet. I am trying to be objective and being all nasty makes it real difficult for both people to actually remain objective and either discuss the value of these cars or discuss the torque limiting values provided by GM in this car.

Originally Posted by Paul Ashley
Pretty sure this was done by a previous owner already, as I don't sense any limiting, but how would one check for an aftermarket ecu?
HP tuners was the program used, the tuner displayed to me all of the torque limiting values stored inside the main ECU. I asked him to remove them, he kindly did by unchecking all values and uploading the tune back.

Originally Posted by isis
I don’t think I disabled it in my tune and don’t notice it at all. A stab of the throttle spins the tires just fine.
There are many factors that contribute to the activation of the torque limiting features. I do not know them all. The ECU is too new for me to probably understand fully. I come from 8/16 Bit ECU mostly OBD1 vehicles.

Next, my question to the OP, Kbturbo01, what are your thoughts?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

I was quite disappointed how the car was clearly removing power when I was requesting it. I guess your response is evident of the underlying problem. The second I took off from the tuner, it was a world of a different car. What made you go nasty in your first reply anyway? I am being objective in stating how a stock V1 car has torque limiting values placed upon it and you want to be mean? Very strange behavior..If you do not wish to understand anymore that is fine, but there is no reason to be nasty over the internet. I am trying to be objective and being all nasty makes it real difficult for both people to actually remain objective and either discuss the value of these cars or discuss the torque limiting values provided by GM in this car.

HP tuners was the program used, the tuner displayed to me all of the torque limiting values stored inside the main ECU. I asked him to remove them, he kindly did by unchecking all values and uploading the tune back.

There are many factors that contribute to the activation of the torque limiting features. I do not know them all. The ECU is too new for me to probably understand fully. I come from 8/16 Bit ECU mostly OBD1 vehicles.
Awesome. I'll have it looked at when I get it tuned.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

....What made you go nasty in your first reply anyway?...
Saying that you wanted to vomit when you drove your stock V1 is one of the dumbest, boy racer, spoiled brat things I've ever heard. My nastiness was only eclipsed by your lack of appreciate for what a damn decent car this really is. Your statement could send someone that doesn't know any better running out for a tune and half those guys are idiots too.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

I just get sick and tired of the boy racer crowd running this car down when I've driven 3 of these to almost 200k relatively trouble free, enjoyable miles. No, its not a drag strip terror and it was never intended to be one. If you'd drive the car for how it was intended to be used, you wouldn't want to puke when you drive it.

I challenge you to find a better driving, more useful car than this one for 10k...
Old 05-30-2019, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

I just get sick and tired of the boy racer crowd running this car down when I've driven 3 of these to almost 200k relatively trouble free, enjoyable miles. No, its not a drag strip terror and it was never intended to be one. If you'd drive the car for how it was intended to be used, you wouldn't want to puke when you drive it.

I challenge you to find a better driving, more useful car than this one for 10k...
Can't agree with you more. The only thing that compares is c5 corvettes as far as similar power/price goes. But the c5 still ain't no caddy.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you are real emotional about all this. You don't want to understand and would rather start tossing mean words around and being nasty.

This is a factual part of the ECU. I did not put that part of the ECU in nor did I have any influence upon the creation. Here is some history from myself since you know me so well.... My father worked for Chevrolet from 1964-1977 as a research engineer. After Chevrolet, the Old Man went racing in the SCCA, bought a Datsun 510 and built the engine, setup the chassis and went racing and did well. Fast forward sometime past the twenty-some odd years of his work and my Saturday trips to the Nissan dealer, we learned some stuff. I bought some Nissans in early 2000s and we learned together the new stuff. Fast forward to the V1. His first ride and first drive was underwhelming. There was nothing wrong with my car as far as I and the tuner that I used knows. After the tuning session, the Old man (and a third party friend I invited) noticed right away the car had been transformed when we compare the drive to the tuner vs back from the tuner.

I like my 1992 Sentra SE-R a tad bit more than my 2006 CTS-V and that car is vastly less money. The OEM ride is smoother, the shifter is better, the steering is precise, the car is set up right from the factory. I add sticky tires, aggressive pads, set alignment to zero toe and rear suspension bars on the top and a rear roll bar and that car is a track worthy machine that I can beat the snot out of. Sure makes a hell of a lot less power, but that thing won't break, I drove it to track days, went to drag strips, beat the snot out of it and drove it back home.

You want to toss around words when you know very little of my experiences as well. I am glad you have had three cars and a stout accumulated mileage. I have about double that mileage on two cars that i have had for sixteen plus years. Please do not get caught up in the hyperbole. I wanted a V1 ever since I saw one working at a Cadillac dealer performing trades for surrounding dealers. I had two moments of second judgements with the car. The first was on the ride home, overwhelmed!, thinking what did I get myself in to. The second was after the old man and I tried figuring out the first time why power was being delayed or taken away. After the tuner, not once second of regret towards owning, or maintaining the car. If you take everyone criticisms of something you enjoy in this way, it won't be a good time.

I do the majority of work myself. You probably at least can tell that by now since you have not taken one step to learn, meet, or communicate with me in anyway. I know you can read the posts. I have driven on race tracks in Ohio, Georgia, Florida, and New Jersey with a few different cars so I do know what I am talking about. I setup the cars, I maintain the cars, I try to do OEM plus builds. This sure ain't none of your stated "dumb, boy racer, spoiled brat" comments that clearly your emotion and not fact-based observations.

If anyone made it this far, now look at all that sharing of info I did. And I am still trying to just get on speaking terms, because there will not be any useful conversation anymore if the other forum member desires to engage in a negative fashion. If that is what ya'll want, so be it.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

You're right, I could never understand why driving this car would make me want to vomit.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbturbo01
I put it up for sale or trade and someone offered me $4k the way it sits but of course, he won’t have the money for 2 weeks lol. I’m thinking about letting it go for $4k the way it sits.

Non-running, 15 year old car, with 250,000 miles, ding and wheels with peeling clear coat for $4,000?

Take the money and run! Unless the car is special to you and you want to fix it.

One quick search turned up a 2005 CTS V with 163,000 miles for $9,995 and CarGuru's doesn't rate a good value.

Search this Thread