Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Header install question - header wrap, or wrap other components?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install question - header wrap, or wrap other components?

Been doing a lot of reading and researching on here and other sites. You always get a mixed bag with people saying wrapping is absolutely necessary (we've all seen the blown out primaries from alternator cables) and others saying "no issues". I bought some header wrap and began the voyage (what a pain in the ***!). My car will be driven weekends only, likely not in the rain, definitely not in the snow or salt, maybe ~3500 miles per season. Do I really need to wrap? If I didnt wrap the headers themselves, I'd be wrapping the individual components and cables nearby that are prone to the heat instead. My concern is mostly clearance with the steering shaft (these are the 1-7/8") being cut down even further by a wrap.

Would appreciate experience both ways - currently just a thought - I've got all the components and have already started wrapping the headers, so i may just continue down that road...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I would say it's cheaper & easier to use heat protective wrap on whatever wiring you're worried about. I used some stuff from either DEI or Thermo-tec to replace or augment some of the factory wrap that's around wiring and brake lines in proximity to the exhaust.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've wrapped the headers, but I may remove it depending on clearance. In which case I will have a bunch leftover to wrap the wires where necessary.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DO NOT WRAP HEADERS!

https://www.centuryperformance.com/e...o-not-use.html
Old 06-13-2019, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I shielded the other stuff as well. Don’t wrap headers. I bought a couple starter blankets and wrapped the starter and connector, motor mounts and added additional sheathing on the O2 sensor wires.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

I used cerrakote C7600 coating, then a layer of wrap.

I then added a layer of DEI heat shielding to all the wires in sight, near by and basically everything under the hood below the heads.

Wrap your headers, it's perfectly fine and AIDS in reduction of under hood temps. Been 2 years now and zero issues what so ever.

-Byron
Old 06-16-2019, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I hi temp coated the headers with adavance auto rattle can and wrapped them on my LS swapped Monte SS and they are doing fine