Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need advice quickly. High oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice quickly. High oil pressure

So with just accessory on, the psi for oil is reading 70. Engine on its reading about 110 psi. Engine sounds normal. I think its electrical possibly? Anybody know what this is?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Warm or cold? Was it running recently? Ever check your engine grounds? Have your battery out lately?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

Accessory on, engine not running, it's showing 70 psi? Sounds like a faulty gauge to me.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by isis
Warm or cold? Was it running recently? Ever check your engine grounds? Have your battery out lately?
Yeah its my daily. I did not check the grounds. Its at a shop now. Havent taken the battery out recently. This was cold. Normal idle pressure for me is somewhere between 40-50psi. And like I said. It was reading 70psi with the engine off, key in acc.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Oil pressure sensors are cheap and easy enough to change out!
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SE-R Spec
Oil pressure sensors are cheap and easy enough to change out!
After doing more research i think thats the issue. But typically a bad sensor would read 0 for a broken connection, or pegged to full for a short. Mine still "reads". Do you happen to know where I can find and information on changing it out on an LS6?
Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

there are a few write ups on this if you do a quick search but the sensor is right at the back of the intake manifold right next to the cam position sensor. Its the tallest one. Unplug it, break it loose, take it out and put the new one in!

some advice from what I've learned, 1) go to carquest and invest in an LS oil pressure switch socket (i think thats what they call it) but either way, its a deepwell, the right size and fits right in there so you don't have to worry about breaking the plastic while torquing on it 2) you may have to unplug the cam position sensor to get the socket in there. you may even have to take the 10mm bolt out of the keeper and rotate the sensor a bit to get the socket in there but you will not have to take it out.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SE-R Spec
there are a few write ups on this if you do a quick search but the sensor is right at the back of the intake manifold right next to the cam position sensor. Its the tallest one. Unplug it, break it loose, take it out and put the new one in!

some advice from what I've learned, 1) go to carquest and invest in an LS oil pressure switch socket (i think thats what they call it) but either way, its a deepwell, the right size and fits right in there so you don't have to worry about breaking the plastic while torquing on it 2) you may have to unplug the cam position sensor to get the socket in there. you may even have to take the 10mm bolt out of the keeper and rotate the sensor a bit to get the socket in there but you will not have to take it out.
Thanks so much man. If the shop doesnt figure it out quickly I will be telling them to try this.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

For anyone wondering, it ended up being the oil pressure sensor / oil sending unit.

Last edited by Paul Ashley; 06-21-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine began doing the same thing in this thread as OP detailed. New switch is in the pipeline.