Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ls6 Vs Ls2

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i think what all of us really thing is...

LSA FTW!
Agreed!

With the new V's LSA, the ls6 vs ls2 debate is like deciding what older fat chick to bring home from the bar, just pick one and get it over with.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Agreed!

With the new V's LSA, the ls6 vs ls2 debate is like deciding what older fat chick to bring home from the bar, just pick one and get it over with.
bahahahaha...perfect metaphor
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I would prefer the ls2 due to what happens when you throw a 4" stroker crank in each block, ones becomes a honed to a 383 and the other, well, honed to a 408.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

How about this if your car came with the LS6 then the LS6, if it came with the LS2 than the LS2. These cars like the Impala SS and are becoming collectors with low miles. If you take a LS6 up against a LS2 it will matter more the driver then anything else, 1/4 mile times show that. However if I was to Supercharge one over the other it would be the LS6 with the .5 less compression and the Sodium filled vales.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TCP1
How about this if your car came with the LS6 then the LS6, if it came with the LS2 than the LS2. These cars like the Impala SS and are becoming collectors with low miles. If you take a LS6 up against a LS2 it will matter more the driver then anything else, 1/4 mile times show that. However if I was to Supercharge one over the other it would be the LS6 with the .5 less compression and the Sodium filled vales.
ls2 will make more power with a blower.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

Disagree, the computer will pull more timing out because of the higher compression, less timing less horse power. It is amazing that I make 2 other great points and the focus goes too the LS 2 will make more horsepower with the blower. In the 1/4 mile what is the difference in time? between a .1 and .2 that is a little over a bumper. Reaction time, shifting speed, traction mean more. What is faster a LS6 with a cold air intake or a stock LS2? What worth more a 2005 CTS-V with 25,000 miles or a 2007 CTS-V with 90,000 miles? Which one of those would be faster? Why do I bring that up? The debate is which one is better? Well unless we are talking about 2 different enginess out of the car being put into a car then yes the LS2 as long as it has less miles would have a slight edge however if we are talking a numbers matching car with low to moderate miles I would never replace a LS6 with a LS2.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

V1 will not be a collector car I hate to tell you. They have dropped over 30k in value from when they were new and are still on the decline. If anyone is content on keeping there car numbers matching they lying to themselves.

Rare-yes
Collectors car-no way
Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
bahahahaha...perfect metaphor
Agreed...I literally LOL'd when I read this one......I have nothing to add, which is rare for my loud mouth and sarcastic self to be left silent..... GOOD ONE INDEED.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

In the Chicagoland Market they have not only stabilized but gone up a little and if it was not for the Recession I do not think they would have come down like they did. People said the same thing about a Impala SS and those are now considered a Collector and I believe I am not the only one who feels the CTS-V will too. To be clear, I am not saying they will be a High Desired Collector but they will be a Collector
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Agreed!

Those fat old chicks might last longer, are easier to please, and don't complain much when you wail on them. That new skinny chick costs you and arm and a leg, doesn't like to be played with and when she gets too hot she slows down when you want her most. In all seriousness though the LSA is a fantastic motor but for some guys the blower is an obstacle especially when you like the road course. I wouldn't turn one down though. The new V2 coupe SCCA World Challenge car would surprise everyone if it was LSA powered.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

The "same engine as a Z06" argument hasn't been cool for years. Try it in conversation.

"Same engine as the Corvette Z06."

"Oh the one with over 600hp? Wow!"

"No, that's the supercharged ZR1"

"Oh the one with the 7 liters and 7000rpm? That is AWESOME!"

"Nooo...the one they put in the Corvettes from 2001 to 2004"

"Oh....that's cool, I guess."

At least the LS2 was used in a more recent Corvette....I'm just saying that particular argument is dumb, and I have an 05.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kevm14
The "same engine as a Z06" argument hasn't been cool for years. Try it in conversation.

At least the LS2 was used in a more recent Corvette....I'm just saying that particular argument is dumb, and I have an 05.
Yea and that ls2 in a more recent corvette was slower then the c5 zo6 and the c5 Z beat it in just about every event they paired them up in. the LS2 C6 is a step down IMO and was a mistake on GMs part. The LS3 ***** all over the LS2 in every way just like the LSA ***** all over the ls6/ls2 in the V1s.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Yea and that ls2 in a more recent corvette was slower then the c5 zo6 and the c5 Z beat it in just about every event they paired them up in. the LS2 C6 is a step down IMO and was a mistake on GMs part. The LS3 ***** all over the LS2 in every way just like the LSA ***** all over the ls6/ls2 in the V1s.
I'm sorry, I have to take issue with this. It is such a ridiculous statement.

In 2004, the C5 Z06 started at $51,500. A 2005 C6 started at $43,700, and offered performance that was much closer to the Z06 than it was to a base C5. A C5 Z06 is slightly faster and handles better, but it's also a total stripper. You can't even get a power passenger seat. The C6 offered performance that is quite close, and a noticeable improvement over the C5 coupe. But had nice options like HUD, Nav, HID's, magnetic ride, huge trunk, etc. Or you could just get a stripper with Z51 for about $45,000 and have a car that was very close to a C5 Z but substantially cheaper.

And it was exactly one year between the C5 Z06, and the C6 Z06, which is absolutely and completely better than the C5 Z.

If you look at stock LS2 vs LS3 times for Corvettes in the 1/4, they are not far apart. The idea that the difference between the LS2 to LS3 is comparable to difference between the LSA and the LS2 is ridiculous.

Last edited by aurora40; 12-21-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevm14

LOL! That's true having a V1 period. Several people who've asked, I've had to explain it's not the 556hp supercharged car. In fact, one guy at work with a 260-hp Mustang GT was all excited: "Man, those things have like 500hp"

"No, it's not that one, the supercharged one with 556hp. It's the one before it"

"Oh... So how much horsepower does it have?"

"400"

"Oh... Hmm... Well... that's not so bad"

I really had to bite my tongue on that one.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Launching!

So, who wants to buy my Bone Stock 6,400 mile '05 LS6 collector car?

Make me a stupid-high offer(and I do mean stoooopid), otherwise I'm going to continue to rack the miles on this thing!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
So, who wants to buy my Bone Stock 6,400 mile '05 LS6 collector car?

Make me a stupid-high offer(and I do mean stoooopid), otherwise I'm going to continue to rack the miles on this thing!
What have you quadrupled the mileage on your V since you bought it? I thought I remember it having around 1,600 or something ridiculous like that? I have a friend who inherited a 79 Vette from his dad that had 16,xxx on it. His uncles raised PURE HELL because he began driving it to work every Friday and on Sat and Sun. He told me his dad's biggest regret was having a car for 30 years and never enjoying it.....If you have it drive it...There are enough garage queens in the world already....FTW
Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
What have you quadrupled the mileage on your V since you bought it? I thought I remember it having around 1,600 or something ridiculous like that? I have a friend who inherited a 79 Vette from his dad that had 16,xxx on it. His uncles raised PURE HELL because he began driving it to work every Friday and on Sat and Sun. He told me his dad's biggest regret was having a car for 30 years and never enjoying it.....If you have it drive it...There are enough garage queens in the world already....FTW
Basically, Yep!

Car had 1,380 miles back in June 2010 when I bought it. I do approx. 10,000 miles/year. So even if I keep it for the full 3 years of the warranty I purchased, it'll still only have 32,000+/- miles on it and by then be an eight year old car = still very low mileage for the year.

Who knows, if it treats me well it may stick around longer, but by then the V2's will be depreciated to a point that may be too hard to resist.

As for my Viper, it was already a year old when I bought it off the showroom floor(April '09), and now it's parked for the Winter. So by Spring when it sees daylight again it'll still only have 1,300 miles on it.

Oh yeah, Winter sucks.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Basically, Yep!

Car had 1,380 miles back in June 2010 when I bought it. I do approx. 10,000 miles/year. So even if I keep it for the full 3 years of the warranty I purchased, it'll still only have 32,000+/- miles on it and by then be an eight year old car = still very low mileage for the year.

Who knows, if it treats me well it may stick around longer, but by then the V2's will be depreciated to a point that may be too hard to resist.

As for my Viper, it was already a year old when I bought it off the showroom floor(April '09), and now it's parked for the Winter. So by Spring when it sees daylight again it'll still only have 1,300 miles on it.

Oh yeah, Winter sucks.
Well I've done about 35k on mine in the past 9 mos.....I just saw that you're in PA...I couldn't imagine those winters and the abuse it puts on cars. I did one Winter in Cincinnati and I came my big *** right back to Alabama...Anything below 40 degrees and my seat heaters are on.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
same as its always been, more displacement usally means more gains and potential and it all depends what you wanna do, stock for stock id still take the ls6 but thats my own opinion.

your beating a dead horse though really.
I agree, unfortunately I have the LS6 putting down 440 but you can bet with the LS2 I would be putting down bigger numbers due to more cubic inch. More cubes is the way to go but this is only if you plan for Mod Hell!! My 2 cents
Old 12-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Oh yeah, Winter sucks.
I've had two Vipers and one with 800 rwhp so PM me if you need Mod Hell ideas or just minor mods for better daily driver fun!

A good place to get parts from is www.partsrack.com .

Quick Reply: Ls6 Vs Ls2