Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Options for a new rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for a new rear diff

I blew my rear diff last night. I never really beat on it at low speeds, but I punched it at 25mph and that was that. I left a 1/2 mile trail of gear oil as I coasted to find a safe place to pull over...

My dealer once claimed they will take care of me even tough I am supercharged, but this is a stretch - I am betting they deny me. Since I am guessing this is coming out of my pocket, I want it to be the last time I lay out so much cash...

So my question is, what are my options?

Madman rear - when?? wasn't there somebody trying a supra rear setup? I think I heard about a Vette rear too??

HELP!!!

Oh yeah - Out of curiosity, does anybody happen to know the parts department cost on a rear diff?

Last edited by RAD69; 11-10-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Launching!

$3500 installed for a new '06 pumpkin and two halfshafts.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StealthV
$3500 installed for a new '06 pumpkin and two halfshafts.

Do you happen to know how much the parts are alone?

If it ain't gonna be covered under warranty - no way in hell I am paying them to install it...

I think I found the diff itself for $1996 list.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1400 + from GM parts direct + shipping
Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stkshkr
$1400 + from GM parts direct + shipping

Thanks, I just found that too. I guess that is the next best option moneywise. I sure do want the Madman rear, but I don't have the cash for it right now... I hope a new oem rear will last long enuff for me to save up...

Worst part is I was planning on going to the track tonight. I planned on getting kicked out for not having a roll cage
Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they cant legally deny you on grounds of having a supercharger Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.... check it on this site

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm
Old 11-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BaddillaK
they cant legally deny you on grounds of having a supercharger Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.... check it on this site

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Thanks for the link!

Yeah I know about Act, but they can say that this rear end was designed for less than 400whp and not meant to handle supercharged power. They can see I have a procharger, and I bet they will say that my mods directly caused the failure even though I think it would have failed anyway.

The only reaosn that I have hope is that I would try to prove that sooo many rears fail on this car, and that it would have failed anyway. Problem is that they rarely see V's at my dealer, I am thinking that CTS rear failures are mostly from leaks and whine... we will see.

Last edited by RAD69; 11-13-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Rad69 that dealer did you buy it from? I bought mine at McGuire in Woodbridge and know one of the machanics very well. I will be with him on Sunday and see what he thinks about your mods and your rear warranty. I thaught I read some were you are from Jersey?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAD69
Thanks for the link!

Yeah I know about Act, but they can say that this rear end was designed for less than 400whp and not meant to handle over 600whp. Not that they know I how much HP I have - but still. They can see I have a procharger and lots o' mods. I bet they will say that my mods directly caused the failure.

The only reaosn that I have hope is that I would try to prove that sooo many rears fail on this car, and that it would have failed anyway. Problem is that they rarely see V's at my dealer, I am thinking that CTS rear failures are mostly from leaks and whine... we will see.

heres a link to problems in the rears, just print the probs bring it to them and say your mod arent causing it, you may already have seen this but here it is

http://reardiff.jon04ctsv.com/
Old 11-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GFORRER
Rad69 that dealer did you buy it from? I bought mine at McGuire in Woodbridge and know one of the machanics very well. I will be with him on Sunday and see what he thinks about your mods and your rear warranty. I thaught I read some were you are from Jersey?
I bought my car used from Mark in Missouri - the one EPP built. But yes, I am from Jersey, I live in spotswood and I work in Edison - pretty close to McGuire. I have been going to Malouf Cadillac so far. The service manager there said as long as the mods are not the direct cause, I am fine. Let me know what your friend says...

THANKS!

Rob.

Last edited by RAD69; 11-11-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BaddillaK
heres a link to problems in the rears, just print the probs bring it to them and say your mod arent causing it, you may already have seen this but here it is

http://reardiff.jon04ctsv.com/

I have not seen that, thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yank the blower. Send it in - replace with 06 - replace blower. Look for solutions.

The rears blow when you are 100% stock...
Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
Yank the blower. Send it in - replace with 06 - replace blower. Look for solutions.

The rears blow when you are 100% stock...

Hehe - good idea, but I am way past the point of no return. I don't think that I have all the stock parts. Lots of stuff gets changed with the ProCharger...
Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Rad69, I talked to my friend he does not think they wil be to blower friendly. He said it might be worth a phone call. Bill Whale is the service consultant tell him what you have and see what he can do. 732-326-0300 Hope for the best George
Old 11-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GFORRER
Rad69, I talked to my friend he does not think they wil be to blower friendly. He said it might be worth a phone call. Bill Whale is the service consultant tell him what you have and see what he can do. 732-326-0300 Hope for the best George

Thanks a lot. I will try.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

That sucks! I don't think the Magnuson-Moss Act is going to do you any good here, unfortunately. That helps if they deny a warranty claiming some b.s. like the shifter caused the rear window defrost to stop working, but I think your interpretation is accurate - they will say that the rear was not designed to withstand that type of power.

IMO, you've got two options: Either return the car to stock and bring it in...hoping that they haven't flagged your VIN; or, shop around until you find a mod friendly dealership.

Now, if you bought it used from a Cadillac dealership with the mods on the car, and they didn't have you sign any waiver, notices or disclaimers - you may have an argument of an implied warranty of some sort.

Good luck...that really sucks.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MCasano1
That sucks! I don't think the Magnuson-Moss Act is going to do you any good here, unfortunately. That helps if they deny a warranty claiming some b.s. like the shifter caused the rear window defrost to stop working, but I think your interpretation is accurate - they will say that the rear was not designed to withstand that type of power.

IMO, you've got two options: Either return the car to stock and bring it in...hoping that they haven't flagged your VIN; or, shop around until you find a mod friendly dealership.

Now, if you bought it used from a Cadillac dealership with the mods on the car, and they didn't have you sign any waiver, notices or disclaimers - you may have an argument of an implied warranty of some sort.

Good luck...that really sucks.

Thanks. I spoke to the Service manager today. He said they want to see the car, since I already complained about the rear leaking and whining. He said they might be able to cover it. We will see...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The next years CTS-V will have a upgraded cast iron Diff. in it.
looks like a good swap!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Yank
The next years CTS-V will have a upgraded cast iron Diff. in it.
looks like a good swap!
That's what I'm talking about!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM
FormerVendor

Hey RAD did you get those 5 bolts i sent over? Let me know how this goes! Its a shame yours blew.

Did we make too much power for you?

Quick Reply: Options for a new rear diff