Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Will they "certify" it and is it worth it?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will they "certify" it and is it worth it?

Hi everyone. I just bought an '06 CTS-V w/29k miles on it and can't wait to get it (shipping). Since it's still under warranty, will a local Cadillac dealership "certify" my car to extend the warranty to 6/100 and, if so, is it worth it? I can get an aftermarket warranty for about $3k from Warranty Direct (bumper to bumper including Nav, etc.) and had one from them on a Jeep. They fixed the oil pump for me w/no issues (on the Jeep), so I've had a good experience w/them, albeit a minor one.
Any input is appreciated.
Great site, by the way!
Old 12-09-2007, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car should still have the 5yr / 75K mile factory warranty and unless you think you need that extra year and another 25K miles it might not be worth it. Save the $s for new tires, you'll need it. I'm on my 3rd set with 31K miles on the car.

Another thing to consider is if your deal isn't yet set in stone, get them to throw in the 6yr / 100K mile warranty as a condition for the sale. Check the docs you've signed to determine if there are any escape clauses for the contract - especially if this is the first time you would have ever see the car and find a few "issues" with it upon inspection.

Good luck! It's a buyers market.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Isn't the 5/75 just powertrain? Other than the possibility of the rear, I'm more concerned about electrical (window switches, computer, etc.). Other than cosmetics, I don't plan on modding it (famous last words!), and even then, not until I sell my GS400.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Banned

TMWFLA:

I doubt you'll get another dealer to "Certify" the V, but you can buy a GM extended warranty. After what I just went through with an aftermarket warranty, buy the GM one.

Feff
Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Teching In

I doubt a dealer would certify a car they did not sell. Look at the GMPP warranty. It is a factory GM so you know you won't have any problems getting service.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Isn't the warranty on the 06 4 yr/50k
Old 12-18-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The 04 is 4/50k, I'm sure the 06 is as well. I don't think they will certify it unless you buy it from there.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Yes, buy the Certified Cadillac Warranty

Tmwfla, I completely recommend either the purchase of, or the negotiation of, the Certified Cadillac Warranty. No matter who the dealer is, it is $1K period. It is not negotiable and MUST be purchased at the same time you buy your car and from the dealer whom you are buying the car from. It extends the factory warranty to a full 6 years from the cars original in service date or 100K.

My wife and I are on our third Certified Cadillac, 1st V. The CCW MORE than paid for itself on a 2001 STS. To name a few repairs: both headlamps due to blown ballasts, heated seat, instrument cluster, backglass antenna, both rear shocks, abs unit, and three engine issues that resulted in an engine replacement. The car was a one owner with 17K on the clock when we made the purchase. It currently has 51K on the odometer.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Well, I've decided, for now anyway, to forgo the warranty. I should have it in about an hour or so. It's on the truck and the guy is almost here. I didn't buy it from a GM or Cadillac dealer, so the $1k warranty thing prob wasn't avail & the purchase is already finished. I don't plan modding it much anyway, other than cosmetics, so hopefully I'll be ok. If nothing else, I can get a true b to b for about $3k from warranty direct. I've had them before and they seemed fine, but we'll see. For now, I'm going to consider warranty $ as cosmetic mod $.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a few dilemmas for you:

1) No warranty, you are on your own
2) Get a warranty, don't do performance mods or you may get denied
3) Visit this Forum and it will be hard not to mod

Good luck with your V.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will they "certify" it and is it worth it?