Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V vs. C5 FRC

Old 04-06-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V vs. C5 FRC

I am considering a few options for my next car. I have considered a C5 FRC, E46 M3, B7 S4, EVO/STi... and well, the CTS-V. Here is why I have ruled out the other options.

E46 M3: I love the look, the feel but between the weak mod response, expensive repairs and maintenance it just isn't going to work I don't think.

EVO/STi: The hot, great in bed, playful high school girlfriend/booty call when what I really want is the hot, gread in bed WOMAN to take to dinner

B7 S4: It isn't fast enough, the MPG for how fast it is just isn't on the same page, this is the same as the BMW for modability, repairs and maintenance.

So that brings me to the C5 FRC and the CTS-V...

C5 FRC:

PROS:

-Sexy
-Handles well, brakes well, responds to modification well
-20+mpg city/almost 30mpg highway !!! This is huge
-Comfortable for long drives, track ready if it needs to be, if I want to drive slow I can drive slow without it boring me to death
-$20,000-22,000 can get me a nice decent mileage FRC which allows me to be able to enjoy the car more because I don't have that "Oh crap I just spent a LOT of money didn't I" post purchase feeling
-I can buy a 1999 if I want to, which unlike the CTS-V lowers the purchase price for essentially the same car as a newer one.

CONS:

-Only one person can feel the coolness with me at a time
-If I wanted to bring the bitch to drill with all my crap... or go to the gym I can't because the cargo room is non exsistant. Yes I want to bring my sexyness everywhere
-Ughhh that's about it? OH WAIT! There are a lot of Vettes everywhere vs. CTS-V's...

OK!

CTS-V time:

PROS:

-Not many around
-Sleeper like, lots of people would say "ok, what... the hell... was THAT"
-SPACE!!!
-I think they look nice
-Cheap for what they offer? Right? I don't know what sub $25,000 will get me for a V in the next year or so for year and mileage etc.
-Just as fast as a Vette right?

CONS:

-Top gear says the gear box is "rubbish" why?
-The bonging sound whenever you so much as move
-I don't think this thing gets nearly the good gas mileage of the Vette (big problem)
-The rear end? Weak even with stock power... and probably a BAGILLION dollars to permanently fix that issue = fail
-Long term solidity/feel...

Alright well if they both had the same MPG, handled just as well, cost the same and where just as strong and long term no hassle reliable I would get the V simply because it is not as common and provides me with room, an original look and the same performance.

Would someone help me with this? Reliability, Performance and cost of ownership are the most important because I like how they both look anyways. I want the most enjoyable/compromise.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Teching In

thanks for your input on these vehicles. frc and v are not in the same class.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by superlsx
thanks for your input on these vehicles. frc and v are not in the same class.
I never said they where. I am looking for input so I can better decide which is the right car for me and to uncover things I did not know, correct misconception and rule one out.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Forget what Top Gear has to say, test drive both and then decide for yourself. Do you want a four door family sedan thats bad *** or do you want a two seater sports car thats bad ***.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Forget what Top Gear has to say, test drive both and then decide for yourself. Do you want a four door family sedan thats bad *** or do you want a two seater sports car thats bad ***.
Exactly. They say it's rubberish feeling because it is. Buy a katech or like shifter and it feels 7935027537 times better.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

It's more than just that. I know enough about the Vette that I am confident that I can drive it how I want to and not worry about it crapping out on me, breaking... etc

I do not know much about the CTS-V, what it can handle... what usually breaks and why, or how much it costs to fix or prevent entirely. What do they get for MPG compared to the Vette?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sp00led Ya
It's more than just that. I know enough about the Vette that I am confident that I can drive it how I want to and not worry about it crapping out on me, breaking... etc

I do not know much about the CTS-V, what it can handle... what usually breaks and why, or how much it costs to fix or prevent entirely. What do they get for MPG compared to the Vette?
I would have to say that they would both be very close if your comparing gas milage. Motor wise the cts-v is a four door vette in my eyes. Have you driven a cts-v yet? If not then go test drive one if you enjoy it more then driving a vette then theres your answer. If I had to choose between the two I would own the vette hands down but, thats just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

I would have to say that they would both be very close if your comparing gas milage. Motor wise the cts-v is a four door vette in my eyes. Have you driven a cts-v yet? If not then go test drive one if you enjoy it more then driving a vette then theres your answer. If I had to choose between the two I would own the vette hands down but, thats just my opinion.
What about the rear end?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Teching In

the powertrains are the same besides the transaxle for the vette. The first thing to go are the rear diff. one of the main reasons is the cheap metal they use for the diff cage and the other was the rear shocks with the wrong rebound rate producing to much wheel hop witch= broken ****. thats why they had a recall when they first came out. i replaced a grip load of shocks on those. So do you plan on a lot of mods or just a factory racer? either way do you want a 2 door vette or a 4 door vette?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by superlsx
the powertrains are the same besides the transaxle for the vette. The first thing to go are the rear diff. one of the main reasons is the cheap metal they use for the diff cage and the other was the rear shocks with the wrong rebound rate producing to much wheel hop witch= broken ****. thats why they had a recall when they first came out. i replaced a grip load of shocks on those. So do you plan on a lot of mods or just a factory racer? either way do you want a 2 door vette or a 4 door vette?
How much would this cost to correct so I could drive the car with piece of mind. I wouldn't be doing anything beyond bolt ons and cosmetics. The car would see occassional 1/4 mile, or autox and maybe a road course... nothing consistant but when I could go I would. The CTS-V is what I am leaning toward the CTS-V simple because of it's utility but not if it is the weaker car in regards to what it can handle.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 PM

im in the market to and have done a lot of research, including insurance quotes, where the CTS-V wins big over the vette no matter who you are. My quote for a CTS-V is almost 1/2 of what a vette would be.
The V is, IMO, in a class of it own. Where can u get what it offers for the price? 400 horse, 4 door, sleeper, sexy, comfy, cool and luxurious?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I had my cts-v for 2 years and put over 20k miles on top of the 10k it had when I first bought it and I drove it, well like a sleeper that had 400HP. The biggest thing I always did was baby it off the line, I wasent dropping the clutch at 4k RPM; as long as you do that your problems will be random stuff like paint coming off the nav buttons or whine from the diff. I can't speak on the C5 cause I have never owed or driven one but that CTS-V has always left me wanting another one; even though they do have some crazy depreciation.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

I have yet to see a cadilac that ages well, even ones that arent very old...
Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Just get the Vette. It doesn't sound like you're ready to handle the potential turns a relationship with a V can throw at you. Maybe you can get the Vette and pull a small trailor behind it for your stuff and a couple of friends?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Launching!

The latter two will cut your repair costs close to half. That is modifying money! Buy the Vette as those prices have stabilized. The V prices have been dropping and probably will go a little lower and you can buy it later and have both!

Norm
Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

I have a early 05 and have not had one leak on the rear! The V is a fun car. But I have to agree to each us own and you need to drive each. The vette you can find at any lot or street corner, the V on the other hand you might have to drive a 100 miles to do so.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got rid of my white 99 FRC to buy a V. I needed the room and I wanted a less conspicuous car. The caddy and the C5 are pretty close in handling, with a slight edge going to the C5. Acceleration, stock versus stock would be a toss-up. My C5 was modded slightly and ran mid 12s. I'm not going to mod the Caddy at all other than a shifter and a couple suspension pieces. My V has 27k on it, the rear is fine. No leaks, no noise, no failures. I don't launch it (whats the point?) but I do powershift it sometimes. Pretty different cars, I like both though. The FRC did get better gas mileage, but the trade off in room and comfort is worth it. I like the interior in the V a lot better. Nicer seats, more room, factory navigation, better sound system, etc. The standard C5 seats suck *** and you can't get the sport seats in an FRC. I am much happier with the V as my daily driver.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

WELL! I have had both in the past 2 years. I loved them both! The Vette handled better, faster, straight up rocket with some good tires..... The V is sick though,
BECAUSE OF THE REAR END ALONE, i would go with the Vette.

The V is WAY nicer though, the Baller factor is in the V, Girls like the V over the Vette!

Very hard to decide, I am dealing with the same thing but a C6Z and 09'CTSV.....Help me decide.....
Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilveradoSS500
WELL! I have had both in the past 2 years. I loved them both! The Vette handled better, faster, straight up rocket with some good tires..... The V is sick though,
BECAUSE OF THE REAR END ALONE, i would go with the Vette.

The V is WAY nicer though, the Baller factor is in the V, Girls like the V over the Vette!

Very hard to decide, I am dealing with the same thing but a C6Z and 09'CTSV.....Help me decide.....
09 CTS-V...
Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

2010 CTSV, I will let other people figure out the issues! In the mean time, C6Z. hahaha, the C6Z is so fast....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CTS-V vs. C5 FRC