Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Al.

I am getting my car to a friend's house where he is going to install my 2 bar MAP sensor and a new 2 bar tune.

If the car is still hesitating afterwards, then i will start looking at what the hopefully minor issue could be.

I still have my old stock LS wires and coils, so i'll start by swapping those out before delving into plugs.

I also had a member from another forum say that a failing alternator and low voltage could do this? I am going to drive my car tomorrow at noon to drop off some car parts. I will watch the gauges and make sure nothing wonky is going on.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Well, a friend of mine saved my bacon.

He was gonna take my car to:
1. install 2 bar MAP sensor and
2. install 2 bar tune from STS

What he ended up doing because my car is a piece of sh&t, it taking the time to remove the spark plugs, and gap them accordingly (they were around 36 thou) and needed to be closer to (30 thou). What i gather from his text is that cylinder 5 was wet (unburnt fuel).

He checked wires and all was well. He then swapped in original LS1 coil packs and quote unquote "car now runs like a raped ape"

I haven't had communication with him since as i've been tied with with some extended hours at work, and he may have burnt to a crisp in my satan spawn ride.

I'll text him tomorrow and see how everything else is going on with my car. I don't know if we'll have time to slowly start dialing in a little more boost this season, if not it'll wait until next year.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

I got my car back. 2 bar MAP installed, and a few other minor issues sorted out.

As my car is running with no apparent issues, and i would like a baseline set of numbers and a graph i setup a dyno session at Peak Performance on Thursday October 11th, 2012...as long as weather cooperates.

I just want to run my car with the 5# wastegate spring in and see what the baseline is. it is pulling strong enough to spin my 305/35/18 drag radials in 1st gear and feels strong enough as a starting point.

My guess is between 400-450 crank hp currently on my 8.5-1 compression 402ci aluminum LS2 with the STS GT-67 dialed in at 5lbs with no dyno tuning.

I will post the results...good or bad once the run is done.

Following the dyno run i am going to park the car for the season as our nighttime lows are -2 to -6 degrees celsius and my drag radials don't like temps below +10 degrees.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent on the progress of your car and getting those issues with it sorted out!
So is that a mustang or dynojet dyno?

Would think that engine should pretty easily do 400 rwhp with 5psi. Or maybe even 450rwhp. But that is fairly low compression. I went with 9.5 but planned to run meth injection if did go high up on the boost.But will be anxiously waiting to see the results.

Too bad you couldn't give it a track run this year but always next year.
and yeah be careful I remember just getting my 99 running at end of season and it was scary scary was the temps dropped. Definitely keep the shiny side up on that thing! But should be some nicer days left maybe you guys will have a winter like last winter again,you never know. Global warming can be a good thing!

So how does your wife like her g35X? I just picked up a 2004 G35x sedan at auction cheap for wife and our second daily driver. Its pretty fun and the awd should come in handy and realize its only 260hp and your model is 328? hp. And of course they have upgraded quite a bit in 5 years. I will likely trade it up in year or two on newer one like yours . Just kind of bought it spur of the moment. And seems pretty nice. At least was top of line fully loaded version,nav and all that but of course the 2004 nav is not that great compared to newer ones. But have my garmin anyway no big deal.And kicking around trading up to a 2007 ML63 for good price here on lot but think maybe should wait and put money towards 2007 or so SL55 instead,have big hard on for one of those now.If the 99 sells get one of those instantly. My ML 350 is not too bad but a bit gutless with only the v6. I do like my power! At least it has manual shift option as does the g35x and that does really help them out quite a bit. Course g35x is way lighter than the super heavy like 4700 pound Merc. and they both have similar hp. So the g35 of course is way faster. and with awd of course you can just hammer it off the line.

Was thinking to get a second crossover but the car should be ok. All the hill driving have to do with clients wanted for sure awd type of vehicle.

I got kind of busy lately at work and didn't get my 99 safetied and plated might not do it now till spring time. Course longer season here so maybe still get it done.

That car of yours must already rip pretty damn good. I was driving my 99 with the 402 and similar mods and at 7.5 on the twins it ripped pretty damn good. Of course it rips better at 10psi on the bigger turbos and the 427 but we all know airflow means more than boost pressure so hard to make direct comparisons between different turbos. And bit depressed may wind up taking mine to Van,Edmonton or Calgary to get a proper dyno tune up done. You are lucky stoon has all those dyno options right there.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

Wife is enjoying her 2009 G37XS sedan fine. She is coming back from Manitoba with it in 5 hours. She has my radar detector and it has saved her "kiester" a few times

We went with a G37 vs G35 for a few reasons, most of it being the 7spd auto vs 5spd. We love the awd, and i found in our last rain storm that with the traction control "off" the system is truly "off"...so i had a bit of fun with it

My camaro is running well, and we will turn up the boost to 8lbs next year and get it dialed in, re-dyno, and see where it sits. I'm guessing we'll have to bump the camaro up to 10lbs to see any significant different with my GT-67 turbo. But i'm optimisitc it'll produce some decent numbers.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Got a few dyno runs in tonight. The motor made the hp i thought it would based on "seat of the pants" feel. The torque number was higher than i thought, but that would explain the feel somewhat too. My motor is falling on it's face just before 6,000 rpms and this is evident in the dyno graph.

We'll get some answers over the winter, but there is some room for tuning (injector, etc) to get the most out of this setup. The numbers are: 406hp and 512lb/ft torque at 4,000rpms at the wheels. This motor has a lot more in it if we can get everything sorted out.

1. Dyno Run:

2. Dyno Graph:

Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Very decent results for such low boost and like 500 engine hp..Nothing wrong with that! You should be very pleased. And turbos make such nice torque . Might as well put the dyno numbers in the sig. And of course lots more in there.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Over the winter and next year i will try and sort out what is preventing my car from spinning to redline and making it's relative amount of hp and tq.

Some of the turbo guys from locally think my turbo is the restriction in my system.

I'm wondering if some of my exhaust isn't the restriction.

I don't think anything in my intake could the the problem.

Bloody hell this is getting frustrating....being so close to finally getting this car to where it should be!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should measure back pressure to see where its at. I have hi back pressure with a smaller motor and a larger turbo. I suspect your back pressure is off the chart.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

What steps would someone like me take if the backpressure was too high?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Obviously a much larger single turbo.
You aren't running cat converters are you??
If so then they could be plugged up ???
In buddies LT1 STS car he had one cat and it was horribly clogged .It was not really revving great.We gained what felt like 100 or or more hp when we put in offroad pipe to take its place.

If fuel is good and spark is good and no boost leaks then it would seem only things left are turbo sizing or something in the exhaust like clogged up cats.
And you can also play with spark and afr. Would think 11.0 to 11.5 or so is good for afr. Too rich can make them doggy not want to rev..And timing well depends how much he took out. Too little can make things doggy. Too much and you can get doggy from knock retard.

And you should maybe check again for boost leaks. You would think should easily hold 5 psi or whatever till 6000 or 6500. What cam is in there again?
Compression is what again..8.5.if so thats pretty low more suitable for track car. I like 9.0 to 9.5 on street cars. Still can usually run decent boost on pump gas premium and reasonable timing.

That was a pretty wierd graph . I would search thru lots of older sts graphs on ls1tech and see if anyone had similar looking one and why.What does sts say about the turbo and the size of motor. What are other sts guys running with same engine for turbo?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Both CK and a local mechanic who have both tuned and worked on many impressive forced induction vehicles are taking my Camaro from me tomorrow night and working on it Wednesday night.

They are gonna start by looking at the exhaust and turbo parts, then go over the tune with a microscope, and then likely dial up the boost and do a little tuning.

I'll keep y'all posted as i learn more wednesday night or thursday.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Well the Camaro is finally running UBER strong after many years of dicking around with it and getting an unspecified amount of help from helpful peeps.

The restriction (at this point) that we've been dealing with was the nylon filter sock over the air filter. It was completely plugged after around 500kms of driving and torn from vacuum with WOT.

The filter is now directly attached to the turbo (and needs cleaning...but i'll do that this winter).

I took the car out on the highway and found my missing 100+ rwhp. Car is scary fast (partly cause tires are cool and it's not warm outside too).

There is a sporadic engine misfire (which doesn't come up with data logging or check engine light). I had it solved temporarily by finding a prong in one of the electrical connectors on ign coil #2, so i bent it back, reattached and all was good....

...until i got the restriction sorted out. Now the car has a definite shudder around 2,200 rpms. When the car is in boost it feels magical...but out of boost, not so good.

I'm gonna get one last dyno in this upcoming weekend if all works out...not sure how the tune will be with this car making more boost and power up higher in the rev band.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Good you got that stuff figured out. So should be plenty fast for sure. Just be sure to keep the shiny side up considering the time of year it is now.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Long and short of it, car made 512hp @ 5257rpm and 587lb/ft tq @ 4110 rpms with 10# boost.

One of my spark plug wires separated, so a quick fix was done to get the car running (not at 100%).

My silicone coupler blew off my turbo and ended up requiring my turbo to be re-clocked for alignment issues with boost tubing.

Car sounds good, but needs more TLC. So it is now parked and we'll get 'er going again next year.

Here is a youtube clip of the run:

Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Well the camaro has been sitting dormant since the last dyno session in October 2012. I made it out to Edmonton for 2 days this past weekend and picked up new sunvisors for my tan colored interior (as mine were fu&%ed). Got those installed and they look and work much better.

I had received some LS coils off an LS2/3? truck in 2012 and they've been collecting dust since. The coil part numbers are: 12611424 and the coil brackets are 12580353

I have got the passenger side brackets installed with coils. But my LS1/2/6 spark plug wires are too short. So i am getting ahold of truck wires vs car which add a few inches. Here are some pics:

LS1/2 car coils/brackets vs truck coils/brackets:

The driver side required some "manipulation" of the fuel rail and lines to allow the brackets and #5 coil to fit into place properly:

LS car vs truck wires:

Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Turns out 2 of my coils were pooched, so that's why I had made the swap from car to truck coils. The car fired up fine, so the true test will be getting the car under load when the snow melts. My street is still covered with 1-2 feet of snow, so my car isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It should reach a high of 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius tomorrow allowing some melting to occur. Spring won't arrive soon enough
Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Turns out 2 of my coils were pooched, so that's why I had made the swap from car to truck coils. The car fired up fine, so the true test will be getting the car under load when the snow melts. My street is still covered with 1-2 feet of snow, so my car isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It should reach a high of 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius tomorrow allowing some melting to occur. Spring won't arrive soon enough
Good to here your progressing to find all the problems.
Rob.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Rob, I can't count how many problems I've had with this car since going forced induction. What I do know is that the engine you and your crew built is the only thing not giving me a headache

Just have to get everything else cooperating and see what this car will do.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

I've posted this under the forced induction thread, but i'll do it again here in case people don't check all the threads. Does anyone know what this metal sleeve is called that would go around a relocated air filter inlet on an STS turbo for the 4th gen f-body cars? And where would a person buy it from?

Quick Reply: STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro