Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah once you put in a rollbar not very street friendly anymore even with swingouts. And as you said there are factory cars running low 11s, 10s out of the box.

Your goals were pretty much same as mine with the 99TT. To build a streetable ultra high hp car. And being turbo can play with the power thru our boost controllers, base spring pressure and with things like boost by rpm or by time or by gear.

I do wish could have took my car to dyno in stoon and then to track before moved out here as it was finally in basically finished form. Now have more limited options with the track only being 1/8 mile which is just not the same as a 1/4 mile. Ashcroft as said not sure whats up with them if they are even going to be open anymore and Mission an awesome track , is still pretty good drive in sometimes brutally heavy traffic. And even Mission was down most of this year with track upgrades. And no dynojet here still think no chassis dyno of any kind here. So think closest are Van, Edmonton and Calgary. Van would likely make the most sense if could dyno then run at Mission. But think Edmonton and Calgary have the better LSx specialty shops.

Anyway Kudos to you for sticking with your project and getting it to this point. Your mph is awesome and obviously the car can run some great ets and with lots of potential left there .
Old 08-26-2014, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
. And no dynojet here still think no chassis dyno of any kind here. .

Therse actually a few shops here with dynos now!
Force Fed (dont let them tune your stuff)
Classified Motorsports (dont let them tune your stuff)
Four function (great guys, but smart enough to accept they cannot tune a 1khp car)
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's a vid of my car running at the track on Cruise Weekend:

Old 09-20-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So that is on what tires? Your 60ft was like 3.0?
Is that Adams gto in the other lane?
So you were trying not to get kicked off correct? but you were still under 11.50. so did you get a warning or what?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

The 3.0 sec 60 ft was an error in their timing system.

I was told that unless i put a roll cage in the car i wouldn't be permitted to run again

If that was the case, i would've kept the throttle buried and shifted faster. There is a deep 11 sec or high 10 sec in the car with a few mph to gain with constant boost.

I am good though with how the car performs on a daily driving basis...so my car won't see anymore 1/4 mile runs...though if we ever establish an autocross track again, i'll make my way out to that
Old 10-17-2014, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the '98 ECM easy to program to handle 2Bar map. I heard for Boosted applications it is better to swap the ECM for a '99 and up version.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Frankie...the PCM wasn't super easy, tho it wasn't horrifically difficult either with my 2 bar MAP. Yes a 99+ would be the way to go if a person was in a building and designing phase

I'm done with my build for this season and the next one (2015). Now i will enjoy and beat on the car...and replace whatever breaks next.

My goal is to have 1 full season with driving enjoyment and no significant downtime/tuning/building time. Life's just wayyyy too damn short to **** around on this stuff year after year.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a tuner in the Saskatoon area. Can you recommend one?
Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Reply sent. CK is a great guy to work with.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love this build, im hoping my 402/D1 setup makes some similar numbers to this, also a t56 car.

Any updates/outlooks for the 2015 season?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

I think i may just enjoy the car for a season and clean up some of the wiring and turbo hosing in the engine bay.

I need to upgrade the fuel injectors next and look to either change out the turbo or increase the diameter of the boost tubing from turbo to intake as we've hit a wall with boost increase.

I just bought 2 vehicles (1 for the wife and 1 for me) so i think mods will wait for a full season while i simply enjoy the vehicle (no downtime with mods).

If i come across money for some strange reason, then i'll tinker with the Camaro again in 2015...otherwise it'll be a 2016 project.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great build!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks

Just got the oil change done, tires put back on after winter storage and a new battery installed.

We have a local show Draggins Rod and Custom that is being hosted locally over the Easter weekend and i'm going to attempt to drive the Camaro there (just got it plated a few hours ago) as long as mother nature cooperates.

There's still a bit of snow on the ground, but not enough to stop me yet
Old 06-12-2015, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Guys... i love modding. But i have to say i am driving my car 2-3 days a week to the hospital and am loving not tinkering on my car for a season

Car is running relatively flawlessly for a very modded ride and its awesome.

Best of luck to y'all who are modding. Try and reach an achieveable goal and enjoy your ride...life is really short!

Ryan
Old 06-13-2015, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Best of luck to y'all who are modding. Try and reach an achieveable goal and enjoy your ride...life is really short!

Ryan
Great words of wisdom/inspiration....just wish it will get through my thick skull, I have so many unfinished projects
Glad you get to finally enjoy the ride.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Guys... i love modding. But i have to say i am driving my car 2-3 days a week to the hospital and am loving not tinkering on my car for a season

Car is running relatively flawlessly for a very modded ride and its awesome.

Ryan
This is my goal this year, to finish all the mods, work out the bugs, possible dyno tune, and then enjoy it until something breaks. The white ghost needs to come back to life!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

The decision to not tinker didn't last long

My turbo hanging out the rear occasionally hits the ground when driving over big bumps or undulations in the road. I tried sticking a 2x4 underneath the turbo and couldn't make it fit.

The oil feed line/check valve going into the top of the turbo was pointing straight up in the air (approx 3" height), so i bought a 90 degree bend and installed that the other night.

I'm going to get the camaro into Competition Muffler Wednesday Sept 2nd on my way to work and get them to reweld the exhaust, pulling the turbo up closer to the underbelly of the car.

Once that's done, i'll figure out how to build a weatherproof shield so i can drive the car in the wet.

Next season i may look to purchase a bigger turbo and injectors and see where things take this car.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Got a 90 degree bend installed on the oil feed line. Car goes into Competition Muffler tomorrow morning for some modifications of the exhaust/turbo ducting. Going to raise the turbo as close to the body as is feasible and then look to build/create an all-weather shield for the air filter once the car is back in my hands.

Will post pics of the changes.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the build. definitely in for the updates!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Still haven't figured out how to build a proper shield for my air filter sitting right next to my driver side rear wheel

Just installed a Tick Master Cylinder due to loss of clutch pedal pressure when driving hard...very different feel. Will take some getting used to as the pedal movement is much shorter and firmer. Will look to see what sort of adjustability there is with this new equipment.

Quick Reply: STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro