Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

g dubz i love most cars...but i'm love my german cars. Don't ever sell your B7 S4. My B8.5 S4 6MT, i'm just starting to mod and for a DD i love it. Just got a CTS Turbo CAI installed and the supercharger whine is beyond intoxicating. Next step will be a pulley and tune pushing my car to around 450hp. Sooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I'm waiting for a quote on a Precision Turbo upgrade from our local tuning shop Performance Plus. If the price is right i'll be doing injectors, turbo and tuning with a goal of hitting 1,000 crank hp.....we'll see if it happens this year or nextl
Old 09-10-2020, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Well after 10,000kms my Spec 3+ clutch **** the bed. Springs in the clutch let loose. Symptom was a vibrating clutch pedal during normal city driving, low rpm shifting. Got 4 shifts in while vibrating before i couldn't shift any longer. Car remained running, would stop and start with clutch engaged but couldn't engage a gear. Thought it was a slave cylinder/throw out bearing.

(edit) History on the clutch/flywheel: professionally installed by our local Performance Shop who specializes in Chev LS, Ford and Mopar products in 2012 (give or take a year). It is sort of a daily driver putting on 1,000-2,500 kms each summer before being parked for the winter. I was able to get in 4-6 hard launches on slicks back in 2012-2013 before I was told i would need to install a roll cage to continue drag racing....so no roll cage, no more racing. 99.5% of my driving is low speed mix city/freeway with only occasional bursts and between 2-4 launches a year on my current tires. Clutch dumps were lower rpm to build just enough boost that there was no bogging, but never max rpm dumps. The Spec Clutch held up well from a time standpoint but was hoping to get more miles out of it. I don't want this to dissuade people from the product as it seemed solid. The clutch never slipped and pedal feel was a tad firmer than stock but less than other Muscle cars i've driven (Ford SVT Cobra).

Here are pics....i'll send to Spec to determine why this would happen on a lower mileage clutch setup.
(edit) Response from Spec (thank you for the quick response Josh): It appears that the input shaft could be misaligned causing the spring cage to come in contact with the pressure plate. There are multiple reasons why this could be but shaft play appears to be the culprit. If the dowels on the engine and transmission (or engine to bell housing) are missing that could cause the spring cage to move out of the center. I would also check your pilot and input shaft bearing to make sure everything is aligned properly. Finally, excessive wheel hop due to hard launches can also cause the disk to move and hit the pressure plate. If it had been built incorrectly the clutch would have not disengaged. If you plan on hard launches, the easiest solution is to use an unsprung disk
The rear main seal blew out a couple years ago due to a poor PCV setup which i fixed after the leak started. I'll get the rear main seal fixed. McLeod twin disc RXT clutch and light weight flywheel, new slave/throwout bearing will be installed soon to rectify the issues.....

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-e1b8bpo.jpg

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-11wria5.jpg

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-ocuxuwo.jpg

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-xfbzutl.jpg

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-fo3rmh9.jpg

Last edited by fstr n u; 09-14-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Late addition to information
Old 09-26-2020, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

I've been starting to drive on a lightweight flywheel and new McLeod dual clutch 1200hp setup. What i can say is the 1200hp clutch pedal feel is light for sure. The lighter weight flywheel makes daily driving much more difficult. It's hard to explain until you do this setup. It takes an extra 200-400 revs and holding the clutch longer to accomplish a normal city start....which is super weird when you come from a billet steel flywheel. 2 very different clutch setups and driver feels without doubt. i have 200 start stops on this setup and i feel like a new driver nearly stalling my car at times and riding the clutch to get my car going. Very weird. The LWF seems to have taken away a significant amount of rotational force. With only a little bit of throttle when driving it seems the car revs and builds boost faster. Until i can actually let loose on this setup, it will be hard to fully review. For now this setup is not a phenomenal DD. The LWF makes normal starts much more intensive with clutch riding...
The following users liked this post:
FrankieD (09-26-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Fstr, wonder what oil weight your running? I think our setups are similar enough im curious what youre at for oil pressure. I know my bearings are a bit on the loose side, but im seeing about 40psi at startup with 20psi at idle warm running Mobil1 5w30. Little worried about it being low, figured id see where youre at.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

I will check when i fire up my car next...mother nature decided it was time to dumb snow on us...so the car is immobile until streets clear up for me to drive the car again.
I'm using Castrol Edge 5w50 oil....5 weight for cooler starts and 50 weight for the higher temps achieved with boosted runs....

Once i have this reading i'll report back.

On a clutch/flywheel update side of things...the lighter flywheel appears to have made this car rev slightly quicker...won't be able to really run it until next year as we are in minus temps for the next couple weeks and likely will deplate and park the camaro soon. Gotta love Canadian winters and our rwd beasts....slumber time is upon us.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

My beast is parked now for the winter slumber....i fire it up every 4 weeks for 10 minutes to ensure the fuel lines, spark plugs and other bits don't give up the ghost. I'll take my car back to the track this year now it's been a couple years since i last ran. Wel'll see if things work out okay come June-Aug 2021
Old 02-19-2021, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

I love firing up my car in the middle of winter...neighbors may not love it as much...but I know we are only about 3 months away from seeing this car lay a smack down to local tarmac once the final Mcleod clutch breakin is done.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Break in is done...the lightweight flywheel on the twin disc McLeod clutch is working well. Revving the motor and accelerating is better than the old Spec 3+clutch with steel flywheel. What is different and somewhat not as pleasurable is the dead stop to accelerating feel to starting this setup at a set of lights....it takes more revs to get everything going. My car wasn't built for drag strip racing so the light weight flywheel is a little bit of a nuisance. When rolling i'm not complaining but given most of my driving is "in-city" I would NEVER do a lightweight flywheel again. For a race car, YES, for a DD, NO. Regardless I'll make the most of it in this "i want an electric car/auto car" generation. My son who is 17 has driven old muscle cars and this and loves manual transmission cars. We'll never sell it as these are becoming more rare are we move on...
The following 2 users liked this post by fstr n u:
FrankieD (02-18-2022), LaBLKv6Z (02-18-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Just read through this thread and I have to say, kudos. Build came along nicely and made some serious jam. Throw up some pics of the car. I have a red 99 SS and I always enjoy seeing other red Camaro's.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Will do...just on the hoist for winter storage...if i can get it backed out onto the driveway (still snow/ice), i'll get drag radials on and snap some pics soon. Definitely a fun ride...love fbodies Send a pic of yours as well
Old 03-24-2022, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have new wheels for mine but still waiting on the tires. Switched to 17x9.5 & 17x11 ZR1's with 275's and 315's .. can't wait! Chomping at the bit to drive it again.

Old 03-24-2022, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Love the hood...car looks clean.. Awesome ride!

I managed to get my car onto the driveway with the 16" winter rims/rubber and barely made my way back up my driveway into my 2nd bay to swap winters for summer. Took me a couple attempts to get the car back out and up the driveway into it's stall and onto the lift with the drag radials...zero traction on snow/ice. Either way got rear wheels on and torqued to spec...set inflation psi all around. Added some oil and clutch fluid/brake fluid and the car should be good for summer driving. Have to get the parking brake tension sorted out and a rear Moser axle leak but it's drivable

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-ux1lbus.jpg

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-cz7qsvo.jpg

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-wfositp.jpg

STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro-5voeweg.jpg
Old 12-31-2022, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

At our August 2022 Rock 102 FM Show N Shine Weekend I brought my Camaro out to the strip and my wife commented after my 2nd run there was white smoke coming out of my passenger side exhaust (driver side is the downpipe in a rear mount setup)....and that had me concerned as my 1/4 mile time/speed was not quite right. I am thinking my cylinder head and one of my exhaust manifold gaskets are cucked...I checked my oil add cap and it looked like caramel/cream cheese and lard!!! I have a cylinder head leak somewhere and before going on need to get this sorted out. Prior to this I learned my son had my car out with his friends and did a high speed Mexico run which likely was a contributor to this;....not a happy dad/owner...
Old 02-02-2023, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
Love the hood...car looks clean.. Awesome ride!

I managed to get my car onto the driveway with the 16" winter rims/rubber and barely made my way back up my driveway into my 2nd bay to swap winters for summer. Took me a couple attempts to get the car back out and up the driveway into it's stall and onto the lift with the drag radials...zero traction on snow/ice. Either way got rear wheels on and torqued to spec...set inflation psi all around. Added some oil and clutch fluid/brake fluid and the car should be good for summer driving. Have to get the parking brake tension sorted out and a rear Moser axle leak but it's drivable

Good job man. that should sound sweet.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Ty, i'll get an exhaust video done outside.
I'm waiting on parts (cylinder head and exhaust manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold bots, etc) then will get everything redone and then will record and post hopefully by June 2023
The following users liked this post:
LaBLKv6Z (05-15-2023)
Old 06-25-2023, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

We we're out on a family Sunday drive...and while rolling I accelerated and at the top of 1st gear while wheels spinning we heard a loud "bang' and the rear end started making angry whirring noises...we thought it was something catastrophic....but i could shift into gears and the car was still driving so we limped it home. Got it onto the lift and saw the diff/pumpkin was angled up with a "v" to the driveshaft. We then saw the UMI driveshaft and supports failed and the top of the diff failed causing the bottom mounts to take the brunt and bent. I'm ordering a new bracket for this setup hoping this UMI "C" Bracket" failure with top diff bolts were the issue. With 710hp/tq at the wheels...failures are expected I suppose. This wasn't an UMI issue..rather my ignorance to why my rear end was popping and making noise....i had bolts loosening up and now I know.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

For those looking on...the biggest thing is the rear wheels now sitting rear-ward in the fenderwell...and the diff and driveshaft being angled and an inverse "v"
Old 06-25-2023, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...acement-mount/

This is the part i'll be ordering with Moser bolt kit to sort out the rear end issues.

Looking forward to getting my Z back on the road and killing GTR and Hellcats.....haven't lost yet
Old 10-21-2023, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Here's a cold startup, quick driving and acceleration pov clip for those interested. Nice having the car working again, but just parked for it's winter slumber and will enjoy next year again.

Quick Reply: STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro