Cleaning up little things - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Cleaning up little things

Old 06-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic

Default Cleaning up little things

Well I started out trying to search out a low fuel pressure problem which turned out to be nothing other then a loose clamp on the in tank pump. Really want to thank the wrench that told me it couldn't be after I put in a new pump and fuel pressure regulator. So anyways now I'm waiting for one last plug to install an external FPR. So while I was waiting I took off the Fast 102 and port matched the intake to the head. I also shaved off the logo and painted the intake, lid and lid base with a truck bed wrinkle black. Got the intake back on today. Thanks Fast for sending the gaskets by UPS. $42 in brokerage fees for $50 in gaskets.
Anyways porting the intake, I was trying to think of how I could mark out the face of the base, one side was good but the other had about an 1/8 of an inch to come off. I ended up bending a scribe tool into a "U", holding the intake base in place then reaching the tool into the port and using the head as a guide scribing the face of the intake.
I also wanted to try and wrap the tops of the headers. Under hood temps are really high and thought this would help. Talk about frustration. After doing a crappy job on one then starting on the second I realized I couldn't get the clamps tight enough to hold the wrap with out moving so I scrapped the whole idea.
Just an afternoon rant
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic

One other thing. Taking the intake on and off is a pain. I ended up cutting a 5mm allen key making it into a straight shaft and using a 5mm box end wrench to slip over the top for leverage. I also put a piece of shrink wrap on the key to make it easier to spin the key with my fingers and stop the wrench from sliding down.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice View Post
One other thing. Taking the intake on and off is a pain. I ended up cutting a 5mm allen key making it into a straight shaft and using a 5mm box end wrench to slip over the top for leverage. I also put a piece of shrink wrap on the key to make it easier to spin the key with my fingers and stop the wrench from sliding down.
You should have asked. I have quite the assortment of Allen key wrenches and ball ends etc. That is all I use on the Harrop. Not like we live far apart.

Though they are at Scott's from the race, I'd have got them for you.
RAMPANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Dale, it all worked out.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
8 Second Club

Man its those damn little things that can drive you nuts! Glad you got it sorted out buddy!!!!!
eb02z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
10 Second Club

I you have not finished the porting let me know. I have a 245 TEA port you can use when the intake is off. It needs a couple points for location though. I had it made for the flow bench.

RAMPANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic

Still waiting on one fitting to close off a port on the regulator and then run the return line.