Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Anyone ever fight a Licence Plate Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever fight a Licence Plate Ticket?

Anyone ever fight a 'failure to show two plates' ticket and win? I didnt have a plate on the front of my car this afternoon, and got a ticket. No excuses, just wondering if this ticket can be beat. She was less then pleasant, and threatened to ticket me for my 'hollywood' muffler as well I think that is a law that needs to be modified, to say the least!
About the muffler... I have driven my car about once a week all summer long, and never had a problem. I usually go to the local cruise night, and one night passed 6 cops, and not one bothered me? What gives? I even sat at a set of lights right beside one, and nothing lol. No doubt its loud, 12:1 compression, and a solid roller valvetrain, 4" mufflex system, but seriously, I was not making noise, I was doing 10km/h looking for a house that is for sale in the area! Im kinda pissed off, and need to vent.... know what I mean ?
Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha...Im thinking about pulling my front plates off when I get the front bumper repainted....how much was the ticket for?

cop just didnt like you, or your car....prolly drove a mustang lol

did you have the front plate in your window showing atleast? you may be able to fight it if it was visible somewhere...
Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

I bought my car in the states, so its never had a plate mounted. I have no intentions of putting one on there either. Front plates in the window are illegal too, and a cop had mentioned to me at one time that in an accident, they become projectiles. He was cool, and made a good point! The ticket was good for $110! I went 5 years with no front plate before a ticket on my other car. 20000km/yr of driving time on the other car as well. Go figure!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

you can get suction cups things to hold the plates down to the dash....I don't believe that if you have a plate in the window it is illegal....but then again I have to look it up...plus I think it is one of those laws that may be open to interpretation....you may have a chance at fighting it if that is the case.....those kind of tickets do not carry demerit points do they?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn! sorry to hear,man.
just like you guys,i hate the front plate with passion,
but looks like our problem is solved!
take a look at this.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Retractable-Hidea...QQcmdZViewItem

they make universal holders too...just placed an order for one.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

here ya go: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm

"Violations as to number plates

12. (1) Every person who,

(a) defaces or alters any number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(b) uses or permits the use of a defaced or altered number plate, evidence of validation or permit;

(c) without the authority of the permit holder, removes a number plate from a motor vehicle or trailer;

(d) uses or permits the use of a number plate upon a vehicle other than a number plate authorized for use on that vehicle;

(e) uses or permits the use of evidence of validation upon a number plate displayed on a motor vehicle other than evidence of validation furnished by the Ministry in respect of that motor vehicle; or

(f) uses or permits the use of a number plate or evidence of validation other than in accordance with this Act and the regulations,

is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000 or to imprisonment for not more than thirty days, or to both, and in addition the person’s licence or permit may be suspended for not more than six months. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 12 (1).

Number plates, further violations

No other numbers to be exposed

13. (1) No number other than that upon the number plate furnished by the Ministry shall be exposed on any part of a motor vehicle or trailer in such a position or manner as to confuse the identity of the number plate. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 13 (1).

Number plate to be kept clean

(2) Every number plate shall be kept free from dirt and obstruction and shall be affixed so that the entire number plate, including the numbers, is plainly visible at all times, and the view of the number plate shall not be obscured or obstructed by spare tires, bumper bars, any part of the vehicle, any attachments to the vehicle or the load carried. 1994, c. 27, s. 138 (7).Obstruction prohibited

(3) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a photo-radar system. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5).

Same

(3.0.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being accurately photographed using a red light camera system. 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (1).

Same

(3.1) The number plates shall not be obstructed by any device or material that prevents the entire number plates including the numbers from being identified by an electronic toll system. 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (1).

Offence

(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2), (3), (3.0.1) or (3.1) is guilty of an offence. 1993, c. 31, s. 2 (5); 1996, c. 1, Sched. E, s. 2 (2); 1998, c. 38, s. 2 (2)."

I didn't see anywhere in there that it says to have 2 plates on the car by law...

out of curiousity, what section does the officer quote on the ticket?

as far as I know, I believe that as long as the plate is visible, i.e. in the front window, you should be ok. However, I believe this is a really grey area...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

I have mine in the passenger side flipdown ...when im in a heated area i'll flip it down, otherwise she stays up. If im pulled over i flip it down
Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by waltonscott
I have mine in the passenger side flipdown ...when im in a heated area i'll flip it down, otherwise she stays up. If im pulled over i flip it down
Thats a good idea...

Im likely going to pick up one of those plate mounts from Ebay, and try it out for next season.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:01 PM
SS7
Teching In

I was pulled over earlier this year, even I had my front plate on the window cop still gave me a ticket. I tried to cover it up with a story of freshly installed bumper and waiting on the bracket to ship, he just said to bring pictures of mounted plates on a car to court. Photoshop anyone?

Still waiting on a date for court appearence...
Old 10-15-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

if it the date is more then a year, I believe you can file a motion for not having a speedy trial, and just have it thrown out....could be wrong though, that is what I have heard....