Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help!

I am thinking about making my 98 trans am into a carburetor car for better consistency for racing. what do i actually have to buy and do to make this work? Also im looking to make it go 10s n/a . what would be a good set up to do this?

Thank you for you time
Old 10-04-2011, 05:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pop N Wood answers the RockHardMan. Classic.

You might start by reading through some of the build threads. Best way to get go fast ideas.

To go carb all you need is an intake, carb and MSD ignition box. The MSD box has a complete stand alone harness that makes the wiring super simple.

You will also need either a carb specific fuel pump or a regulator that lets you turn your FI pump down to 6 psi at the carb.

There are obviously a lot of small things like linkage, an air cleaner, fuel filter etc, but those are the big items.

How you will get sufficient hook clearance is different question.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Teching In

thank you and what do you mean hook clearance? I'm new at this so sorry for the questions.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The carb will not clear the stock hood, so you'll have to do it redneck style and let the breather stick through the hood so get an extended hood from VFN. You also won't be able to run the passenger side wiper and will have to rig something up for the driverside to work.

If you completely take out the PCM then the only gauge in the cluster that will work is the volt gauge. You'll have to run a new electric fan or rewire the factory setup so they work. I can go on but if you have specific questions shoot me a PM
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, the last guy got it right, hood clearance.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Teching In

oh yeah i kinda figured i had to get a extended hood. thanks for helping. also what is a good cam and heads to get alot of power. trex cam?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

better consistency out of a carb? that's a new one
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRockHardman
oh yeah i kinda figured i had to get a extended hood. thanks for helping. also what is a good cam and heads to get alot of power. trex cam?
Get a good set of heads ( worked 243s, Dart Pro 1s, AFR, ect) and have the cam spec'd to those and the motor. You'll get more power with a cam spec'd for the setup than an off the shelf cam