Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

5.3 carb setup for ski boat...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 carb setup for ski boat...

I'm helping a friend come up with a simple setup that will get us on the lake next spring. He eventually wants to build a bad *** big block for it but currently doesn't have the time or money to build the engine he really wants and wants to get it on the lake asap. He has a couple 5.3's sitting in the shop. Our plan is to convert one to a carb setup that will produce as much torque as possible at as low rpm as possible.

What I'm thinking is a duel plane intake, MSD box to fire the coil on plug setup, and something like a 670 Holley street avenger carb. I can guess at the cam but will consult with a cam guru and probably have a custom cam speced for the setup. What we are looking for is something that is going to have as much torque as possible off idle and be reliable and have peak torque down low as it will need to hold 3500-4000 rpm for long periods of time. The idea is a cheap, reliable setup that will have the power to pull a tube or ski. This setup isn't about peak hp numbers. It just needs to get up and go and hold a constant fairly low rpm.

I just wanted to throw this idea out there and see what others thoughts are on this setup I have in mind. Maybe someone else has done this before and can give some input on the build and what to expect. It's a large boat and I'm pretty much expected to come up with the parts we need to reach our goal so I wanted to run the idea across you guys before parts start getting ordered. It's not my money being spent and I don't want to disappoint them.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Honestly, sounds like a stock 5.3 with the carb conversion is what will fit the bill, cam optional.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

What type of boat? Exhaust is something to think about if you need heat exchangers.

I know when I get a boat again with a cracked block I will do the same.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

21' v-hull that had a big block in it. I don't know much about boats but he has the bigblock out and is planning to rebuild it next year but wants it running by spring and we have a good 5.3 pulled out of his dads truck sitting in the shop. We have researched the exhaust setup and are undecided on ordering premade ones or custom making our own. He is a pretty good welder/fab man. I'm more into the technical side of the engines.

We will either order some premade manifolds or take some shortie or midlength headers and build a water box around them and inject water over each tube with an outlet at the bottom.

He said the boat probably weighs 4000 pounds and will be loaded down with people so I'm trying to come up with a setup that will get as much torque down low as possible. Anyone have any gustimates on what it should run mph wise?