Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

carb on a 5.3 DOD engine,is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb on a 5.3 DOD engine,is it possible?

I have everything from the doaner truck to wire it up,but running into a very clutterd engine bay,and alot of unshure issues,thinking of trying to take the easy way out with a carb,not really concerned about fuel mileage,or the DOD to work,just wanting to try and make this thing come back to life in my S-10.
Does anyone know if i dont change the DOD internals of the engine,will it operate as if it just didnt have it with a carb intake?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you replace the DOD lifters with regular ls lifters, and plug the DOD ports under the valley cover , you should be good to go.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

And throw a decent cam in there while you are at it! LOL. Would be worth it.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Well i was wondering if its possible to leave the DOD lifters,and passages alone for the time being,would it work as a regular engine,the same as my Diablosport programmer turning it off,im looking at $2000 more by the time i get a TCI trans controller for 4l60 E,and im really not looking forward of pulling this thing back out right away,stock will be better than it just setting here,while my past year of saveing for just one more part never ends LOL!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know the answer to that exactly.
I have read that the DOD lifters are rpm sensitive, so dont rev it past the factory shift rpm to be safe. If you are not signalling the DOD solenoids, it should run on 8 just as if the the dod was not activated, and it should run just fine. BUT I am not 100% positive about it, so keep researching before trying it.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Ive asked local tech. and got the same answer about the lifters not being for high performance,going from a 2.2 to the stock 315 hp 5.3 will be fine for the time being,after getting this thing going im shure then i will get bord and want a big bump stick.
Hopefully this is gonna work for now,THANKS
Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S-10 money pit
Ive asked local tech. and got the same answer about the lifters not being for high performance,going from a 2.2 to the stock 315 hp 5.3 will be fine for the time being,after getting this thing going im shure then i will get bord and want a big bump stick.
Hopefully this is gonna work for now,THANKS
I am certainly no expert on this, because I don't know what oil pan you use on an LS engine in an S-10, but if you have to replace the original pan on the DOD engine, you may have a problem. The DOD motors have a high pressure oil pump, and when the solenoids are activated, this HIGH pressure is what de-activates the lifters. The oil pan has a regulator built in which controls this pressure under normal running. Without this, you will have high pressure all the time, which may (or may not) cause the lifters to partially activate. The solenoids may prevent it. There was an old thread on here by *geezer* I think , that talked about this problem. Personally, I would plug the passages in the block, (easy to do) put a set of regular lifters in it and change the oil pump. We recently did this on a '05 Gen IV 5.3. We originally left the DOD oil pump in it to see what it would do, but in our case it would peg a 100lb pressure gauge with 10-30 oil, so we also changed it. Also, and again, just me...rather than buy that expensive trans controller, I would trade that 4l60-e for a 700r4 or a 200R4 and be on the road driving and having fun. Just my .02 cents worth. Try typing in DOD delete in the search box and do some reading before you do anything.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Teching In

WOW! not what i wanted to find out,rojs234.But your right i did some reserch,and have to thank you for letting me know about the oilpump,thats one thing i would have never realized,and might of overlooked that part of a reserch or thinking it would of been good to have a better pump.
Looks as if i bombed on my choice of wrecked truck ,owell atleast i got a start with LH6's LS6 (243)heads and a decent 9 9.1 compression and aluminum block i spent all winter polishing.My parts list keeps growing.beginning to think the dude passed on that owned(wrecked) my doaner truck LOL!!he's haunting me.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't give up on that LH6......that's a fine little engine. The one we got came out of a '05 Tahoe and like your's is all aluminum GEN lV and has #799 heads (same as 243's). Luckily it was a 24X reluctor engine and since my friend wanted cable TB, we used an earlier 2002 intake set up and the 2002 wiring harness and PCM. I just got done lengthening the wiring harness so he could put the PCM behind the seat in his '51 Ford pick up. (big job!) I had already reworked the harness to stand alone from the instructions on www.lt1swap and we had already had it running. Should be going again in a couple days. Good luck on your S-10, whichever way you decide to go.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Default It been a long time

I wanted to thank you for the information,now that its complete,It was well worth saveing for,I included a couple pictures and a link to my YT video.,https://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.p...ictureid=83652,http://youtu.be/zmd4ok37_Lw
Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Teching In

that's a wicked nasty sounding S-10. Very nice. What cam and exhaust?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Teching In

It has a Thumpr cam (Comp Cams)It is the smallest of the 3 Part#54-600-11.
It has 2.5 mendrel bent pipes,2 original series 2 chamberd flowmasters,Personaly i like them at idle only,the super 44s sound alot better on LS engines.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Question parts?

that thing sounds sweet! what valley tray do you have? also what ignition are you using? I have a 08 5.3 lmg that im putting in my camaro, I to am going with that cam, same intake, 750 holley? and the same ignition as you i think, is there any suprises i should know about before i put all the parts on? what carb are you running? thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I looked quickly but is the LMG a displacement on demand iron engine? I used a LS2 valley cover,My carb is a 750 Holley Ultra Double pumper,close out of the box,My ignition box is MSD 6LS-2(6012),Dont buy a intake MSD package im told there not capable to use software(laptop)buy them seperate,It will come with pills,I used the one closest to my cam for start up,and used it for arround 200 miles,was very easy.
As for surprises.Your actually working on a LS2 based engine rather than LS1 based,if it is a displacement on demand engine.You will have to change some internals.If it is go to LS2 forums,check out DOD Delete threads.I got 90% of a parts list with part #s there.
Is the LMG a DOD engine?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S-10 money pit
I looked quickly but is the LMG a displacement on demand iron engine? I used a LS2 valley cover,My carb is a 750 Holley Ultra Double pumper,close out of the box,My ignition box is MSD 6LS-2(6012),Dont buy a intake MSD package im told there not capable to use software(laptop)buy them seperate,It will come with pills,I used the one closest to my cam for start up,and used it for arround 200 miles,was very easy.
As for surprises.Your actually working on a LS2 based engine rather than LS1 based,if it is a displacement on demand engine.You will have to change some internals.If it is go to LS2 forums,check out DOD Delete threads.I got 90% of a parts list with part #s there.
Is the LMG a DOD engine?
I just looked farther,and your engine different than mine,Your engine may have Varrible valve timeing,Im not shure how that works
Old 02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 70texasnova
that's a wicked nasty sounding S-10. Very nice. What cam and exhaust?
It doesnt run too bad,I just purchased caltracs,not for traction,but for safety.Durring a hard pull my leafsprings were rapping up so bad even at speeds of 85+ when letting off the fuel my rear tires were leaving the road.Funny after the slightly swaying pull all the way,the after effects are more scaryLol!.Havent got to try the Caltracs out yet.cant wait till spring.

Quick Reply: carb on a 5.3 DOD engine,is it possible?