Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Alternator wiring made easy.. Save yourself a headache!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator wiring made easy.. Save yourself a headache!

Why is this so difficult for everyone?!?! Everywhere I look and people are scratching their heads or scrambling to radio shack for a resistor when you can just use what you have!

Heres what I did.. its free and bullshitless.. I used the stock 105 Delphi Alternator from a 1999 Blazer...Make sure you have the pigtail and plug which consists of 1 wire and 1 plug..

Wire the main lug to the battery with 6 or 8 gauge wire and simply connect your pig tail 1 wire to the 1 wire that leads to the little white plug on your old Delco 60amper...

Look closely at my image..

Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Do you know the part number for the little breather you have?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Beeterolds
Why is this so difficult for everyone?!?! Everywhere I look and people are scratching their heads or scrambling to radio shack for a resistor when you can just use what you have!

Heres what I did.. its free and bullshitless.. I used the stock 105 Delphi Alternator from a 1999 Blazer...Make sure you have the pigtail and plug which consists of 1 wire and 1 plug..

Wire the main lug to the battery with 6 or 8 gauge wire and simply connect your pig tail 1 wire to the 1 wire that leads to the little white plug on your old Delco 60amper...

Look closely at my image..
Sounds simple, unfortunately "The General" used numerous internal wiring schemes that make it a bit more difficult that what you're proposing...
Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That is pretty much what I do, use the stock alternator in the newer truck bracket.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Sounds simple, unfortunately "The General" used numerous internal wiring schemes that make it a bit more difficult that what you're proposing...
Im not proposing anything sir.. I'm showing everyone what works.. If you own a vehicle that used the old style Delco Alternator that utilized the little white plug all ya do is cut the wire from the dash and simply splice it into the single "trigger" wire going into the alternator.. Viola! Its so ridiculously easy I was honestly questioning myself about how to wire the alternator before I completed everything.. I was looking at the plug and thinking to myself.. Theres no way its this easy.. Im waiting to stumble into an issue.. I guess not!

Later on when GM changed alternator designs thats where things get tricky until I stumbled upon this simple setup..
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 72ls1
That I dont remember.. Autozone and Advance auto sell them for like 10 bucks.. thats where I bought mine
Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
That is pretty much what I do, use the stock alternator in the newer truck bracket.
It can't get any easier!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The trick to what you are doing requires getting the right alternator. Only certain ones need some resistance in the voltage sensing line. Get the wrong one and your solution will burn it up. Switch to a true one wire alternator or say a denso alternator and the problem goes away also.

I think the only reason people have problems is wiring scares most guys. None of the solutions are really difficult.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The trick to what you are doing requires getting the right alternator. Only certain ones need some resistance in the voltage sensing line. Get the wrong one and your solution will burn it up. Switch to a true one wire alternator or say a denso alternator and the problem goes away also.

I think the only reason people have problems is wiring scares most guys. None of the solutions are really difficult.
Your absolutely right.. I was looking at a complete 4.8 in the junkyard today.. its alternator had 3 leads coming out of the plug.... yet the Blazer/S10 Delphi 105amp has only 1 lead.. hmmm.. Get an alt. out of a Blazer I guess. problem solved!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your absolutely right.. I was looking at a complete 4.8 in the junkyard today.. its alternator had 3 leads coming out of the plug.... yet the Blazer/S10 Delphi 105amp has only 1 lead.. hmmm.. Get an alt. out of a Blazer I guess. problem solved!
I don't know if that actually solves it. Some of the 1 wire pigtails needs some resistance in the line while others don't. somebody once posted a list of which was which. I figure the save way is to just always wire it through a resistance.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 72ls1
They have them for the valve covers too. I took the filter in the pic out and used a K&N, wasnt much on the filter media of the one that came with it...

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...-Breather.aspx

So far the s10 alts, camaro alts, etc all fit the stock truck bracket. Just gotta remove one of the small bushings up top. They make a heavy duty 200 amp alt for the 99 police tahoes that fits too.

Just a quick ebay search

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-H...cb2f46&vxp=mtr

Last edited by snook; 07-29-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I don't know if that actually solves it. Some of the 1 wire pigtails needs some resistance in the line while others don't. somebody once posted a list of which was which. I figure the save way is to just always wire it through a resistance.
Well, Im just going to conclude in my situation that the 30yr old wiring and dash light provided enough resistance for what I was doing.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, Im just going to conclude in my situation that the 30yr old wiring and dash light provided enough resistance for what I was doing.
Yup, your solution worked for your situation. Now you know, there are many other "situations" out there that require different "solutions".
Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not proposing anything sir.. I'm showing everyone what works.. If you own a vehicle that used the old style Delco Alternator that utilized the little white plug all ya do is cut the wire from the dash and simply splice it into the single "trigger" wire going into the alternator.. Viola! Its so ridiculously easy I was honestly questioning myself about how to wire the alternator before I completed everything.. I was looking at the plug and thinking to myself.. Theres no way its this easy.. Im waiting to stumble into an issue.. I guess not!

Later on when GM changed alternator designs thats where things get tricky until I stumbled upon this simple setup..
This is the problem most have, not everyone has that setup or wiring setup. For me, I had the external reg old pos alt factory on my 67 camaro. The resistor setup was easy to do and im not affraid of wiring so. I almost went Zone's route and got a 3rd gen alt but the resistor was cheap and easy. I could have easily used the dummy light as well.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Default 68 firebird conversion

so if i get this right,the 2007 corvette alt i am using on my lq4 with a single wire coming out of the pigtail can be wired to the single wire that goes to the idiot light on the dash,,,or am I the idiot??? so much easier with breakers,,,,just trip it untill you get it right ,,lol
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the 1 wore 87-92 camaro v8 alternator or 88-94 gmc/silverado v8 alternators in the LS brackets, doesn't take much to make it work.

Quick Reply: Alternator wiring made easy.. Save yourself a headache!