Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Adjust timing to get traction??

Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjust timing to get traction??

I was talking with a friend of mine about adjusting the timing on my ls6... Right now the car will not hook up in 1st or 2nd. He was saying that we could slow timing at lower rpms and that would help with getting traction.

Now, is this a good idea?

My whole thing is trying to get the car max potential on street tires... No slicks yet. Any input? Ideas?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That will also slow you in 3rd and 4th gear.

You could always lift your right foot a bit.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
That will also slow you in 3rd and 4th gear.

You could always lift your right foot a bit.
right right, but if im above 3000 rpm the rest of the way does it matter?

N yea I should learn to let off... I have not driven the car as much as I would like, but I still feel that I should be able to make this car hook. Does lowering timing seem like a solution?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this a manual Trans? Suspension should be the main concern. Tune it for traction. If you have a auto with a big converter it will fry tired no matter what.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

To begin to make this work you need an ignition controller/box that has some kind of switched retard function. The MSD boxes usually have this as a 'nitrous retard'. Hook this up to a swithc and you can knock 10 degrees (or more ?) off your ign curve at will. That will affect torque.
I have tinkered with this using a switch that is activated in 1st gear, to activate the retard. 1st gear being where you usually have the most traction problems. Having it active only in 1st leaves the full power curve intact once you shift to higher gears.
You have to adjust the amount of retard to use the most of the available traction, which of course varies from you average street to the fully-prepped starting line at the dragstrip.
It would need lots of tinkering to get it to work as good as a well practiced right foot.

Last edited by gjestico; 09-26-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My setup is probably extremely different, but YES using timing retards to control traction is the norm.

Im running a MSD 7531 box on my car, it has a function to pull timing based off time, since I am using a transbrake, that is the activation for the retard. It holds the retard amount for X time, and ramps the timing back in over X time.

Taking power out of your car at the launch is exactly what many racers do. Im not sure how possible it is to do with the 6010 box.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:12 AM
In-Zane Moderator

It is a simple wire that you add 12 v to and it pulls the amount of timing you program it to do so. But it is on or off, no time it amount on the fly.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

So this is possible huh? I had never heard of it... But then again im no expert racer. I know the wires you all are talkin bout hooking up. Dont have them intsalled with the 6010 setup right now. The car is a manual, and kinda fun when trying to get it to hook up, but not so much when Im actually trying to be serious and win something. I will be at the strip next week and will post some results. Also dyno tuning this weekend. Will post info soon
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The 6010 box is not as sophisticated as other MSD boxes in this respect. Like 12secZ mentions, The 7-series race boxes have much more sophisticated programs to alter timing for better traction at/after launch. Things Like 'slew rate' limiting etc. If I recall, one of the MSD systems was banned from NHRA Pro class use as it was starting to work pretty good at controlling spin.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gjestico
The 6010 box is not as sophisticated as other MSD boxes in this respect. Like 12secZ mentions, The 7-series race boxes have much more sophisticated programs to alter timing for better traction at/after launch. Things Like 'slew rate' limiting etc. If I recall, one of the MSD systems was banned from NHRA Pro class use as it was starting to work pretty good at controlling spin.
Slew rate is used as a type of traction control.... it monitors rate of RPM increase versus time, if RPM's raise faster than "normal" (indication of tire spin) it can be programmed to pull timing.

What i dont see the 6010 able to do is ramp the timing back in, it is a straight timing retard that pulls X degrees while activated. Not a great way to control spin
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Exactly. I do think it can be used if you found the happy place it liked to work. Just on the button then off.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

what tire are you running?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjust timing to get traction??