Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

6010 no fire....please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not enough voltage to box when cranking is what I think or a weak starter have you tried connecting box directly to battery or another starter?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Ok.... ohm checked all wiring and it each wire is about .1 to .2 resistence. so thats good. starter turns the car over faster or as fast as my 99 suburban and my 02f150. I don't think my box is necessarily bad but i do think it is taking way more than what it should to get it give spark. With that being said i called MSD and i asked them about a firmware or update of anything for that box and they just told me they would replace it with a new one. YEAH!! so all i can say is i was very please with the tech support of msd and all of you. ounce i get my new box i will let you know if it works. should be in a week
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope so man, hate when small things hold you back on a project.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Teching In

SO i am back.....and same problem. i got a new box and harness from MSD and it still has no spark unless i crank it without the plug in it and then it has spark. i called MSD and they said to put a washer behind the crank pos censor and try it. i haven't yet...that just sound not right to me. anyways they also said that it could be the reluctor wheel with missing teeth. Has anyone have any answer or suggestion. i looked that reluctor wheel and it seem ok and intact like it should be. the only and only thing i can think of is to change the crank and cam pos censor. i don't know what else to do.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by michael37
SO i am back.....and same problem. i got a new box and harness from MSD and it still has no spark unless i crank it without the plug in it and then it has spark. i called MSD and they said to put a washer behind the crank pos censor and try it. i haven't yet...that just sound not right to me. anyways they also said that it could be the reluctor wheel with missing teeth. Has anyone have any answer or suggestion. i looked that reluctor wheel and it seem ok and intact like it should be. the only and only thing i can think of is to change the crank and cam pos censor. i don't know what else to do.
Can you be more specific about this "plug"?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

sorry....i ment plugs. or sparkplugs.

with the spark plugs out and the compression gone it has spark
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Plugs out = higher cranking speed. With the plugs in you're prolly below the threshold RPM for generating a signal. Can you try two batteries in parallel?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like possibly poor grounding. Your voltage is slightly low also. Have you checked for a bad cell in the battery. If it fires with the plugs out then there is no need to space out the crank position sensor as it is picking up fine. You simply arent turning the motor over fast enough with the pl ugs in.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think it is power or grounding. 10.6 volts when cranking sounds pretty good to me. I guess you could try hooking the box to second battery, maybe with a battery charger hooked up, to just to rule out anything with power to the box.

But if you don't have an RPM signal then it simply isn't going to start.

Some years ago guys with Callies cranks were having an impossible time getting an RPM signal in the MSD boxes. So it could be the crank. But haven't heard that one in some years.

IDK, At this point I would try a new crank sensor. Did you get a new harness with that replacement box? Any chance something is loose or bad there?

Maybe a weak starter? Is there anyway to tell what RPM it turns during crank?

By the way, the ignition doesn't need the cam sensor to produce a spark. The box will have a 50-50 chance of starting just fine with the cam sensor completely disconnected. So save a buck or two and don't bother with that right now.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Doesn't the software show cranking RPM's? It's been awhile since I've had mine hooked up...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep. Mine does.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He said in the very first post he doesn't get an RPM reading with the plugs in, and then later says it does with them out.

Yet people kept talking about grounds.

Also just noticed he tried a new crank sensor too.

So the box can't see a crank signal unless the motor is cranking faster. I guess the question to answer now is whether the car is cranking too slow or if there is something seriously wrong with the reluctor.

This one sucks. I would say try borrowing a known good starter but you shouldn't have to go that route. Even with a weak battery the car should start.

What is the cranking RPM with the plugs out? Did anyone mess with the reluctor wheel?

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 02-19-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

put a 16v battery in, and I will bet my *** it will fire.

6010 has a minimum RPM it must see before it allows the box to fire - I think it is 250rpm.

If youre not getting signal with the plugs in, its because the engine compression is slowing down the cranking RPM below the threshold the MSD box needs to see. Pull the plugs, no compression load on the starter, engine spins over faster, and you get spark and RPM signal from the MSD.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

very interesting. try paralleling the batteries to double the power, should help and will be an easier experiment
Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed?

Did this ever get resolved? I have similar issue. No spark. I try box on another vehicle and its good. Same w wiring harness. No spark. New crank sensor. New coils. New can sensor. No spark.

Quick Reply: 6010 no fire....please help!