Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Holley LS3/L92 Dual Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluethunder364
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that this could end up with little or no benefit. Forgot to mention the 4.10 gears and my set-up spins to 7000+ rpm without a wimper.I think the new found low end torque will be nice on the street, but could be a problem at the track. I run 1.60 Ft times now (not great) with my GMPP single plane and current set-up. I am still on the fence and if the price comes in @$259.00 I may give it s try anyway. Only one way to find out
Would love to see a back to back comparison.... at the track!

Bruce
Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL at snook. O.B. couldn't have said it better himself.

Can't wait to see some other guys results with the Chinese intake. At 400.00+ for a start-up cost. I think someone overestimated the market for crappy finished, extremely tall Chinese intakes with dominator bases.

Look for one soon in a Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine.

I want to try a victor on Freddie. And the Datsun in my avatar is getting a LY6. I may go with the dual plane if I don't go EFI. Square ports and short is the order. I don't want a hood scoop.

Either way neither are available.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The stunningman
LOL at snook. O.B. couldn't have said it better himself.

Can't wait to see some other guys results with the Chinese intake. At 400.00+ for a start-up cost. I think someone overestimated the market for crappy finished, extremely tall Chinese intakes with dominator bases.

Look for one soon in a Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine.

I want to try a victor on Freddie. And the Datsun in my avatar is getting a LY6. I may go with the dual plane if I don't go EFI. Square ports and short is the order. I don't want a hood scoop.

Either way neither are available.
Some more of horrys news lol
http://www.superchevy.com/hotnews/13..._new_ls_parts/

Last edited by snook; 01-13-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by snook
Chinese intakes are made much faster than american ones lol. You rike single or dual prane? Raughing out roud
Rue R Corwect. U mus be a vewwy rise man, Snrook son !
Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
Got a few of these on order!
Mike , Whats the ETA on this . I want a 300-130 !
Old 02-05-2014, 06:43 AM
FormerVendor

Still waiting to see. I have a good sized order im waiting on of these, no firm ETA yet.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I feel like returning my rpm and buy the dual plane Holley for my LQ9.. If its true about the ports being constant
Old 02-09-2014, 07:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

I'm very excited about these new intakes!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would something like this work well with the ez efi 2.0 tbi setup im lookin at?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 89gmcs15
Would something like this work well with the ez efi 2.0 tbi setup im lookin at?
Im running the original Fast EZ with the GMPP dual plane. Works very well! Im envious of you getting the 2.0. If it had been out 2 years ago, I would have gone that route , for sure!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newschool72
Im running the original Fast EZ with the GMPP dual plane. Works very well! Im envious of you getting the 2.0. If it had been out 2 years ago, I would have gone that route , for sure!
I might go this route. Ill keep mine and try both and see if theres a difference at the track then keep the best one. My power was showing it was starting to peak at about 6900 rpm but they couldnt go higher, the tires were vibrating on the dyno too much. Will this handle 7k+ rpm?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might go this route. Ill keep mine and try both and see if theres a difference at the track then keep the best one. My power was showing it was starting to peak at about 6900 rpm but they couldnt go higher, the tires were vibrating on the dyno too much. Will this handle 7k+ rpm?
How may cubes are you running? LS3 heads? With small cubes and the big heads, the dual works great to 7K. Probably higher, but my MSD is set for a 7k limit. My cam is very small too, so Im all done by then. The hand held that comes with the Fast unit is very informative ,once you figure out what its saying. According to my display, I am at max fuel consumption at 6700rpms, so my 7K shift point is too high for best power. Not to mention, it only drops back to 5200 on the 1-2 shift. What all that means is, the fast has taught me , my shift points need to be about 300rpms lower. That will keep me from loosing acceleration , reving past my max HP (max fuel consumption) and should drop me back into the meat of my TQ band on the shift. Lots of power in my combo to be had in the high 4000rpm range. Sio shift at 6700, drop back to 4800-4900 in second and let the TQ pull me through. I would just have to drive to the track and guess if I didnt have that info from the Fast setup.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is a stock cube lq9. Stock ls3 heads with a untouched victor jr. The cam is larger (234/250, .621/.629 112+4) but my converter is lowish (3200-3400) I made good flat torque on the dyno from about 3200 to 6400 so maybe this single plane would be ok. It started to peak at 6900 but I run it out to 7100 with my msd set at 7200. I expected this cam to pull higher like 7400 but something is holding it back. Or im just expectin too much from all these factory parts haha. Im excited to get the fast and fire it up. Im puttin it right on and firing it up in the cold for a test right when I get it lol. I got a 8 point cage goin in in 2 weeks so it will be gone for a weekend... hopefully my w2's show up soon so I can get these parts
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is a stock cube lq9. Stock ls3 heads with a untouched victor jr. The cam is larger (234/250, .621/.629 112+4) but my converter is lowish (3200-3400) I made good flat torque on the dyno from about 3200 to 6400 so maybe this single plane would be ok. It started to peak at 6900 but I run it out to 7100 with my msd set at 7200. I expected this cam to pull higher like 7400 but something is holding it back. Or im just expectin too much from all these factory parts haha. Im excited to get the fast and fire it up. Im puttin it right on and firing it up in the cold for a test right when I get it lol. I got a 8 point cage goin in in 2 weeks so it will be gone for a weekend... hopefully my w2's show up soon so I can get these parts
Just remember, its not magic! The system will only do what the engine is capable of. If the engine needs a 12.2 AFR to idle because of the compression, cam overlap, and intake, don't command a 14.8 idle AFR because it cant make it happen. It will let you know if it doesn't like it by idle surging. Its going to try and give you what you ask, but if the engine wont do it, the Fast cant. In other words, listen to what the engine wants and tell the fast to give it. You will love the setup, if you follow that simple plan. It took me a year to figure that out, LOL.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by newschool72
The hand held that comes with the Fast unit is very informative ,once you figure out what its saying. According to my display, I am at max fuel consumption at 6700rpms, so my 7K shift point is too high for best power. Not to mention, it only drops back to 5200 on the 1-2 shift. What all that means is, the fast has taught me , my shift points need to be about 300rpms lower. That will keep me from loosing acceleration , reving past my max HP (max fuel consumption) and should drop me back into the meat of my TQ band on the shift. Lots of power in my combo to be had in the high 4000rpm range. Sio shift at 6700, drop back to 4800-4900 in second and let the TQ pull me through.
If the correlated on between your max fuel consumption and your peak power is indeed accurate, I think you will find that the timers at the track will disagree with your strategy of shifting at peak horsepower.

Last edited by speedtigger; 02-10-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If the correlated on between your max fuel consumption and your peak power is indeed accurate, I think you will find that the timers at the track will disagree with your strategy of shifting at peak horsepower.
When Tim speced the cam out, we talked about shift points and peaks etc..I asked where he thought the cam would peak out and he said it could be all over at 6k, but that the heads may carry the cam higher. My next question was, so shift at 6500 to get into the next gear at a good RPM. His comment was, that with the tight LSA and the mid range TQ it should make, there would be no reason to push the RPMs out, because it would fall right into the meat of the TQ curve without pushing the rpms up higher. That is what the car feels like. On my 2nd pass on my last trip to the track, I shifted into 3rd at 6500 vrs 7000 on all the other gear changes on both passes. There was a definite surge forward on that gear change that didn't happen on the others. The pass was quicker also, but I had done a little better on getting the car off the line on that pass too. Its worth a try when I go back as Im sure that dinky cam isn't still making power at 7K. I guess we will see,
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

It will really depend on where your rear wheel peak power is actually at, and how quickly your power curve drops off after peak. If your HP drops off a cliff just after peak power, then a quick shift will be beneficial. If your power carrries past the peak nicely, then you will go faster by shifting 200 to 300 RPM or more past the peak.

It is all about average horsepower. Your car drops from 7000 to 5200 on the shifts. That means that you want the highest average horsepower you can get in that 1800 RPM window. For an exercise, you could take a dyno sheet and draw a horizontal line under the power peak that had an 1800 Rpm range. Your goal is to get as much area in that contained area as possible for that 1800 RPM range. You will quickly notice that how broad your power curve is and how quickly your power drops off after peak will determine where that horizontal line will intersect your horsepower curve.

Ignore the whole torque thing. It is not an effective number compared to HP under the curve for determining shift points. It is a very useful number for designing a torque converter, but not for shift points.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
It will really depend on where your rear wheel peak power is actually at, and how quickly your power curve drops off after peak. If your HP drops off a cliff just after peak power, then a quick shift will be beneficial. If your power carrries past the peak nicely, then you will go faster by shifting 200 to 300 RPM or more past the peak.

It is all about average horsepower. Your car drops from 7000 to 5200 on the shifts. That means that you want the highest average horsepower you can get in that 1800 RPM window. For an exercise, you could take a dyno sheet and draw a horizontal line under the power peak that had an 1800 Rpm range. Your goal is to get as much area in that contained area as possible for that 1800 RPM range. You will quickly notice that how broad your power curve is and how quickly your power drops off after peak will determine where that horizontal line will intersect your horsepower curve.

Ignore the whole torque thing. It is not an effective number compared to HP under the curve for determining shift points. It is a very useful number for designing a torque converter, but not for shift points.
Ive always had an issue with over reving a combo, IF I watch the tach. Its just a brain fart I cant seem to shake. This is why I seldom look at the tach and drive by ear. Ive gotten in the habit of tach watching on this car, because Im tinkering with all the cool junk the Fast handheld is giving me and learning how it all works together. The car doesn't drop off a lot by 7k, but it is on the way down. Its at the point where Im telling myself, better get a gear, then it hits the limiter. Up to about 6700-6800 its ***** out accelerating . I will experiment some at the next outing to see how much its nosing over at 7k, by shifting at 6700. I will let the time slip make the call. It seldom lies, LOL.
Now back to the subject at hand. Sorry about the jack, 364.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the pointers! I will end up using the victor jr right away this year nd see how it acts. But for a whole 250 extra I can try the holley. I will postthe results this summer for sure!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I just ordered the 300-130 direct from Holley yesterday, got the shipping notice Today . I will get it on Monday. Then I will port it and polish it inside and out. It's winter time got nothing much better to do , so I might as well make it purty.

Also ordered the MSD bok and a few other parts from Mike at SKSpeed, got the notice that it was packed and shipped within a few Hours. Impressive these Guys don't **** around , and the price was great ! Stan

Quick Reply: Holley LS3/L92 Dual Plane