Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

2015 SpeedMullet updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2015 SpeedMullet updates

With winter in full swing here in MD, I figured I'd take the time to share a bit of what I'm doing to prepare for the 2015 season. I would like to report that I'm finally buying a real carburetor for the car, but that just isn't on the horizon so for now, "ol reliable" as I've dubbed it, will stay on the car. However, there are other things on the car that need to be addressed, in hopes to get that single digit pass.

The list for this winter isn't super big, but there are some pricey bits in the list that are keeping the length of the list short:
-New clutch; Monster LT1-S (twin disc organic)
-New brakes front and rear with a manual conversion
-Pro gears for the rearend, including 35 spline pinion
-Billet slip yoke and pinion yoke. manual transmissions are tough on parts. in the driveline, it's best just to go with the biggest, baddest ones you can afford from the get go to prevent major carnage

My brakes have been on the agenda to update to a proper system for some time now. I kept pushing it back as a result of some other part that needed replaced or updated for function of the car. I started by pulling the ls1 front brake conversion off and selling it to a local enthusiast:

I weighed that setup. it's 50lbs per side!

I also took out the old master/booster combo:

I didn't weigh that, but I wish I had. I can guess this combo was around 12-14lbs though

Parts started rolling in, and it was like Christmas had been extended:

Also, I ordered this linelock setup from Jegs. The idea is to keep the master, linelock, and prop valve contained in one unit, so it is only a couple of bolts and a couple of lines from coming off the car in 1 piece.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1728508

of course the prebent line they sent me doesn't fit with the way the firewall and clutch master is positioned, so i had to make my own lines to the line lock. I mounted the prop valve to the inside of the line lock bracket to complete it

I still need to run the lines from the line lock and prop valve to the brakes. That will come soon.

Next order of business was to get the strange brakes fitted. This starts by taking a stock spindle and cutting it up. This picture doesn't show all of the grinding I did for fitment, but gives the overall idea.

I had to do a mock up assembly to get a weight of the new setup:

The new setup weighs 26.5lbs. That's a weight savings of 47lbs!! of rotational, unsprung weight right over the front axle centerline. very stoaked!

Here is how the car sits right now. I need to pack the bearings and such before I install the brakes for good. Those aren't new struts, they're just painted lakewoods. No funds for new struts, lol!

Additional goodies finding their way into the car this winter

New rear brakes and the driveshaft stuff will be on the way in a bit. I need to sell myself on the street corners some more to get that stuff paid for, lol! A big thanks to PA Racing, Monster Clutches, Jersey Shore Synthetics (Amsoil) and Tick Performance for providing some outstanding products and their support in my quest for that elusive 9.99
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rotation weight will make a diff on et's , I sure need to do that to my mustang.. Its easy to do the little cost stuff,, but when the real high dollar stuff comes into play hard to spend the cash on them.

I have PA racing k member in my mustang, I really like it, I got a chrome moly one.. its super light with the a arms think it was like 24#s total

It wont be long till them 9's are yours.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbum
With winter in full swing here in MD, I figured I'd take the time to share a bit of what I'm doing to prepare for the 2015 season. I would like to report that I'm finally buying a real carburetor for the car, but that just isn't on the horizon so for now, "ol reliable" as I've dubbed it, will stay on the car. However, there are other things on the car that need to be addressed, in hopes to get that single digit pass.

The list for this winter isn't super big, but there are some pricey bits in the list that are keeping the length of the list short:
-New clutch; Monster LT1-S (twin disc organic)
-New brakes front and rear with a manual conversion
-Pro gears for the rearend, including 35 spline pinion
-Billet slip yoke and pinion yoke. manual transmissions are tough on parts. in the driveline, it's best just to go with the biggest, baddest ones you can afford from the get go to prevent major carnage

My brakes have been on the agenda to update to a proper system for some time now. I kept pushing it back as a result of some other part that needed replaced or updated for function of the car. I started by pulling the ls1 front brake conversion off and selling it to a local enthusiast:

I weighed that setup. it's 50lbs per side!

I also took out the old master/booster combo:

I didn't weigh that, but I wish I had. I can guess this combo was around 12-14lbs though

Parts started rolling in, and it was like Christmas had been extended:

Also, I ordered this linelock setup from Jegs. The idea is to keep the master, linelock, and prop valve contained in one unit, so it is only a couple of bolts and a couple of lines from coming off the car in 1 piece.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1728508

of course the prebent line they sent me doesn't fit with the way the firewall and clutch master is positioned, so i had to make my own lines to the line lock. I mounted the prop valve to the inside of the line lock bracket to complete it

I still need to run the lines from the line lock and prop valve to the brakes. That will come soon.

Next order of business was to get the strange brakes fitted. This starts by taking a stock spindle and cutting it up. This picture doesn't show all of the grinding I did for fitment, but gives the overall idea.

I had to do a mock up assembly to get a weight of the new setup:

The new setup weighs 26.5lbs. That's a weight savings of 47lbs!! of rotational, unsprung weight right over the front axle centerline. very stoaked!

Here is how the car sits right now. I need to pack the bearings and such before I install the brakes for good. Those aren't new struts, they're just painted lakewoods. No funds for new struts, lol!

Additional goodies finding their way into the car this winter

New rear brakes and the driveshaft stuff will be on the way in a bit. I need to sell myself on the street corners some more to get that stuff paid for, lol! A big thanks to PA Racing, Monster Clutches, Jersey Shore Synthetics (Amsoil) and Tick Performance for providing some outstanding products and their support in my quest for that elusive 9.99
Thanks for the kind words on the clutch! I'm gunnin for you brother, good luck!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I do love UPS Christmas! LOL

That is a tidy master cylinder setup. Is that from Strange?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the master is a strange master, 1.125" bore for 4 wheel 4-piston drag brakes. it is sold as a kit by PA Racing and includes the master, pushrod with rod end, and the aluminum plate that bolts to the firewall.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Old School Heavy

Droppin' a little weight is always good. Being able to stop at the end is good too. LOL
Old 01-14-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

yup. i intend to be an additional 35lbs less in the driver's seat by april. i dropped over 60lbs last year. also taking crash bars out of the doors and doing some speed holes.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Old School Heavy

yup. i intend to be an additional 35lbs less in the driver's seat by april. i dropped over 60lbs last year. also taking crash bars out of the doors and doing some speed holes.
Wow. Great job Matt. "Weight to go"
Old 01-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are your rear brakes getting the same race calipers or are you leaving those alone, you have some different pedal feel with the manual set up, looks good
Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Matt....better look at some wheelie bars or front limiters soon
As close as you are to your 9.XX goal....the weight you already lost should get you there.

Curious on the brake proportioning valve adjuster. I have one on the shelf and since I'm still running the 4-wheel drum valve (but with front discs) and had an issue at the Wawa where a front wheel locked up but thought it was wet/oil on the ground
Now, when I went to tighten the pinion nut and had my Daughter hold the brakes, I could turn the pinion (with her standing on the peddle and both feet)....So I think I may need to add it (easier than a new prop valve).

What you think ?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

it won't hurt doug. my guess is you'd replace the existing prop valve all together. the other thing would be to double check that the rear self adjusters are moving the shoes out.

weightman, the car is already fitted with some aerospace components rear drag brakes, albeit very wore out units. i will be replacing them with the matching strange brakes.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

A little further progress last night. I got the bearings packed. Trying out the Amsoil Dominator grease. It's got almost a light peanut butter color to it (the filter on the picture makes it look pale green). It almost has the same consistency as well. Technically an NLGI 2 grease, it promises all sorts of ability to lubricate and hold up to heat real well and is supposed to be used on bearings and chassis components. it's my first time using it, but i will say the wheel spins very freely even after letting it go, it will coast a bit. I also spent a bit of time centering the caliper, so that i don't get any uneven wear on the pads or any parasitic loss due to the rotor dragging.

i been waiting a long time to be able to run no center cap and see a pretty hub like this poking through

If anyone needs pictures of anything on these brakes, feel free to ask. i'm sure i'll have the wheels on and off a hundred more times, and with good quality cell phone pictures now, documenting otherwise "unseen" parts of this stuff is easy.

depending on baby arrival, i may be running the hardlines this weekend
Old 01-15-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

So, are you pretty much taking it off the street completely?!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by toxic99
So, are you pretty much taking it off the street completely?!
fun trips to cruise-ins, get-togethers, ice-cream, etc are about all this car has done for the last 6 years anyway, so this will remain it's duties. but with racing in a points race, i really can't justify much more street time due to not wanting to tear the car up.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The weight reduction and reduction in rotating mass should make a world of difference Matt.

9.99 are there for the taking!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

fun trips to cruise-ins, get-togethers, ice-cream, etc are about all this car has done for the last 6 years anyway, so this will remain it's duties. but with racing in a points race, i really can't justify much more street time due to not wanting to tear the car up.
Gotcha...Im like you though, so close to 9.9x that im looking into some upgrades to get me there too, on motor. When I first built mine and got it on the road, I was just hoping for 10.99. I ran a 10.35@129 week before Christmas.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't stop looking at these things, they're so dang pretty, lol. hardlines coming this weekend, time permitting

Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Getting to the high dollar RACECAR stuff! Lol

Looking fantastic though Matt. You are the only one to pull off that front end pre 85 Iroc and pre 87 RS front end.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another piece to the puzzle showed up today.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Old School Heavy

Damn. Never thought I could get excited about a lug nut. Those look great.

Quick Reply: 2015 SpeedMullet updates