Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Cooling question on a new 1st build

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling question on a new 1st build

I'm putting together an LC9 to be mounted in a mid-engine location in a 65 Corvair, replacing an iron 350. In order to save a little room on the front of the engine I'm going to run a remote water pump (Mezeire). It has a single incoming port and dual outputs. The outs will plumb to the inlet ports on the heads and the outlet ports on the heads will plumb to a "y" block. My local GM Service manager commented that this engine uses the thermostat on the water inlet side, (must be in the stock water pump) so my question is where/how to locate/mount a thermostat in this setup. I'm running a front mounted radiator with dual fans.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have a remote water pump. But I do have an electric waterpump that is mounted to my LS on the front of the engine in the stock location and I do not use a thermostat at all. I have a coupler that connects two radiator hoses together. This couple has an inside diameter of 1" which must act as enough of a "restriction" to the coolant flow because I can drive my car around anywhere for as long as I want and I have never had any issues with it overheating or even running hot. I also have an aluminum radiator with a single black magic fan (puller)mounted to it.

I am not 100% sure about it, but I have heard that you usually dont want to run a thermostat when using an electric pump due to the pressure build up that is put on the electric motor while the stat is closed. Maybe someone else can chime in that has had such a setup.

Last edited by LQ4BU; 09-20-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:45 AM
Teching In

I thought I clicked post before but maybe it didn't work.

I have a remote pump setup on my ls1. I use a davies craig pump and controller. You can buy them on ebay without the pump. It basically acts as a thermostat. It comes with a temp sensor and a bunch of signal wires to control the pump and thermo fans. The thing I like about it is it runs the fans and pumps for a set amount of time when the motor is switched off.

Have a look on ebay for davies craig pump controller. I have the old version that's just a box with a few led lights but they now use an lcd display.

Much better idea than just running the pump and fans all the time from switched power.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shnoog
I thought I clicked post before but maybe it didn't work.

I have a remote pump setup on my ls1. I use a davies craig pump and controller. You can buy them on ebay without the pump. It basically acts as a thermostat. It comes with a temp sensor and a bunch of signal wires to control the pump and thermo fans. The thing I like about it is it runs the fans and pumps for a set amount of time when the motor is switched off.

Have a look on ebay for davies craig pump controller. I have the old version that's just a box with a few led lights but they now use an lcd display.

Much better idea than just running the pump and fans all the time from switched power.
Thanks. I looked at that setup before. I'll check out the controller.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Teching In

OK. After some time to get everything up and running here's my take on the Davies Craig setup.
I'm using their controller only on a 5.3L. I have an inlet and an outlet plumbed to each head, two lines running from a remote Meziere pump and 2 lines running back to a "y" fitting then 1 1/2" lines to and from the radiator. The controller modulates the water pump (only runs it as needed) with temperature sensor in the left cylinder head and the desired operating temperature is controlled by a digital box. No thermostat. So far it's working great. My cooling fans (dual pullers on a 3 core radiator) rarely come on. There is an after run effect with the water pump after you shut down but seldom runs more than 2 minutes. Very pleased with the setup.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

What kit you running ?
Fan controller looks nice, and if it works as well as it looks.......Thinking about just the fans controller.

Last edited by Doug G; 10-04-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Doug G
I'm using the controller that does the water pump and the fans. Works good.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:41 AM
10 Second Club

I see the one that does the fan (1) and WP, but not seeing a fans (2) and WP.

But another quick question if you know.
Does it hold its settings if the power is disconnected ? I ask because mine sits for a while at times and I use the battery disconnect as a safety.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Teching In

It runs an independent power supply that I'm guessing is memory. I also use a master battery cutoff and it sets for quite a while. I am using a BIG Optima marine deep cycle battery an haven't had any problems.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

OK, thanks.

Awaiting a reply from them.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Just ordered the DC 0444 controller.

Not going to mess with the pump...
Old 10-21-2017, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

All hooked up, idled for 30-45 mins in the driveway, fans cycled on/off as needed/programed.

Now for a "test drive" ...all went great, no over heating, no issues, and was kind of cool to hear them cycle at a stop sign or red light and watch the temp drop too.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Cooling question on a new 1st build