Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carburated LS1 PCV System/ Catch Can Setup Pressure Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburated LS1 PCV System/ Catch Can Setup Pressure Problems

I have a stock LS1 Carburated with the Edelbrock/ MSD Kit. My valley tray does not have a breather like other later LS motors. I need to set up a PCV system for it but not sure whats the best way to. I don't want pressure problems and start blowing seals or have the motor running like trash. I also have a catch can with an optional breather that can be plugged. What is the best way to route this? With no PCV set up I noticed when I would pull the oil dip stick it was sucking it in. How I have it set up now is the 2 passenger side ports are plugged. Intake vacuum is going to one inlet of the catch can, and the PCV is going to the other inlet. I noticed when I have the breather on the catch can the idle would raise. When I plug the breather the idle would lower.

Ports and vacuum options:
Pass side valve cover has 2 bent vent tubes.
driver side has the pcv
intake has a vacuum port near the rear of the carb
carburetor has a vacuum port
VMS catch can has an inlet and outlet with an option to run a breather or plug it closed.
no valley tray vents or vacuums.

thanks
Old 02-08-2015, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I ran 1 line from each valve cover to a air/oil separator and added a filter to the oil cap.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Teching In

A person had advised me to run it like this. It would require me to buy a vented ls6 tray. This would also have a catch can with no vent. In the system. (My catch can has a vent option). What do you think about this?

Thanks

Last edited by Slowjammin; 02-08-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Some have made a vent for the lifter valley, some have used the factory vented ones....it's a 50/50 shot on how much oil gets into your can. Some say it's a lot ?
With the mixed reviews, I elected to not use the lifter valley cover vent. (mine doesn't have either).

I did have a pressure issue where I made a pass at the track.
About at the 1/8th smoke was rolling out of the car. Pressure pushed the dip stick out to where it hit the hood and sprayed oil everywhere....not fun on shutdown
Lucky nothing bad happened besides some clean up. (motor might of had 100-200 miles on it max) NO blown seals (it was ice cream )

Last edited by Doug G; 02-08-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Teching In

My dipstick is being sucked in! Wtf

Right now I have the the pcv and the intake vacuum port going to the can. The can does not have the breather attached, the two ports on the passenger valve cover are plugged and no breather on the oil filler neck.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Here's what works for me

The right hand side gets clean air from inside the air filter. That is the long aluminum tubing with the brass coupling. The catch can gets dirty air from the valley cover and the left hand vent (Y-shaped hose fitting). The curved aluminum return line goes to the vacuum port on the manifold.

The catch can is from Elite Engineering. Here's what that looks like (early photo)

Haven't tried pulling the dip stick while the motor is running but a vacuum inside the crankcase is better than positive pressure. Nothing in my system is directly vented to the atmosphere. This works well - after an autocross event I have maybe a quarter inch of oil in the catch can.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use one breathe...Good inform..
Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I set up mine with a breather on driver side, bought an oil cap thats a breather as well for passnger side, and ran a hose from ls6 valley cover to carb vacum port, no catch can yet, I hope it works.

Quick Reply: Carburated LS1 PCV System/ Catch Can Setup Pressure Problems