Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb and Intake Manifold - Best options for stock LS1 that will be upgraded later

Old 02-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb and Intake Manifold - Best options for stock LS1 that will be upgraded later

Hey guys,

I've been using this forum as a source of knowledge for a while now, but never really got to post anything.

I have finally decided that I'll try the carburetor route for the car I'm currently building. The car is a Mazda RX8 that will be a dedicated track day/drift car. It will be stripped down to the max, so pretty light. I will be running an LS1/T56 combo out of a 2001 WS6.

I'm pretty torn about the intake and carburetor choice. My idea is to install the engine in stock form for now and later add a cam, a mild porting job on my 241s and high compression pistons. It would be ok if it had to use race gas only, since it's a dedicated track car.

I looked at the Edelbrock Dual Quad kit. That kit looks so cool, but with two 500CFM carbs, I think it will be too much. Since mid range and throttle response is very important to me, I was considering getting an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold and a 650/750CFM carb. I've been looking at the Speed Demon 650 and Mighty Demon 750 Annular DP. But there's also this kit that looks pretty attractive for the money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221415636666?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Bottom line is: I want something I can use now on my stock engine and still be able to use later, after the engine has been refreshed and upgraded. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Pic of the current state:

Old 02-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

If mid-range is the name of the game for your application (2500-5500 RPM), get the Performer RPM and a Quick Fuel Mechanical Secondary 750 cfm carburetor.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If mid-range is the name of the game for your application (2500-5500 RPM), get the Performer RPM and a Quick Fuel Mechanical Secondary 750 cfm carburetor.
Thanks for the reply man. So basically, the kit I mentioned above but with a mechanical secondary. Makes sense, especially considering that is a light weight, manual transmission, low geared car. Mid range is important, but I would like to rev it up to 6300 rpm or so. Do you think that a dual plane intake would get in the way later , with the addition of cam and higher compression?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Old School Heavy

No. Not as long as the intended RPM range does not change.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks man. I know this is a somewhat polemic subject, but I was thinking about running E85 for my high compression project instead of race gas. I know E85 is not as consistent but is readily available and cheap here in Minnesota. Do you have or have heard of anybody with experience with this carb?

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...fm-ms-e85.html
Old 02-15-2015, 06:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to question the performer for a light weight track only high compression drift car with dreams of race gas.

You might want to at least narrow in on the cam tire and gearing you will ultimately go to before setting on a manifold. Not a big expense to upgrade later but I can tell you from first hand experience the single planes are a very good match for a stock cam, lightweight jap car with limited tire.

By the way, from what I have read that dual quad set up has some pretty good throttle response. It isn't a tall tunnel ram but rather a split dual plane type set up. Since drifting is 99% showmanship that might be a crowd pleaser.

One other thing you may want to consider is hood clearance. The single plane GMPP manifold is the shortest carb manifold made. Your hood looks to have a pretty good slope. You will want your motor as far back and down as possible
Old 02-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Have to question the performer for a light weight track only high compression drift car with dreams of race gas.

You might want to at least narrow in on the cam tire and gearing you will ultimately go to before setting on a manifold. Not a big expense to upgrade later but I can tell you from first hand experience the single planes are a very good match for a stock cam, lightweight jap car with limited tire.

By the way, from what I have read that dual quad set up has some pretty good throttle response. It isn't a tall tunnel ram but rather a split dual plane type set up. Since drifting is 99% showmanship that might be a crowd pleaser.

One other thing you may want to consider is hood clearance. The single plane GMPP manifold is the shortest carb manifold made. Your hood looks to have a pretty good slope. You will want your motor as far back and down as possible
The car will be running very low gears (4.44 or 4.30:1), tire size is about 26". Crisp throttle response is very important, but I'd like to be able to rev the engine to 6300~6500+rpm. I don't intend on using too much cam, it would be something like an Edelbrock 2216. I probably should wait a little longer and get the cam and supporting parts before I finish the swap, much easier while the engine is out. I thought of either getting high compression pistons or milling my heads and going E85 since I'm buying a new carburetor. But I'm unsure if the performance gains of using E85 is worth the trouble.

You're right about drifting being about looks, but to me function is just as important as form. I'm afraid of buying dual quads and having a tuning nightmare after I start making changes to my setup. The engine is sitting as close to the firewall and as low as I can get it without cutting the crossmember.

I appreciate your input guys, and Steve, your Single Plane/Carbureted sticky is amazing!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by iizuka
I appreciate your input guys, and Steve, your Single Plane/Carbureted sticky is amazing!
I am glad it is appreciated. I have quite a few hours into that thread.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I am glad it is appreciated. I have quite a few hours into that thread.
A complement is the least I can do. After reading it, I feel like I owe you money!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Ended up ordering a Holley 300-132. I got a good deal and the claim is that they are good for the 2500~7000rpm range. Considering that my other drift car is a 2L I-6 Turbo that is completely torqueless, I guess an LS will feel extremely torquey no matter what.

Now I need to decide on a carb. I think I'm gonna stick with gas instead of E85 and I'm leaning towards the Quick Fuel BD-750. That black finish looks so good and promises 6% lower fuel temperatures. Not sure if I should get a Q-Series or an SS with a choke. There's also the annular vs downleg deal... Then they say carb is the easy route. Injection is way simpler, haha!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb and Intake Manifold - Best options for stock LS1 that will be upgraded later