Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Please post how you did your PCV setup.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please post how you did your PCV setup.

Looking for pictures and info on how you guys are running the pcv on your carb setups.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I just ran to an air/oil separator from both valve covers.

Please post how you did your PCV setup.-airaid.jpg
Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive actually been looking into the exact same problem, and Im leaning towards just venting each valve cover to an oil catch can vented to the atmosphere....open to other suggestions though.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

I am not saying this is the only way, or the best way, but it seems pretty simple and effective. There seems to be many different opinions on which way is right or wrong. But from what I have read IF you are going to do it, you need the LS6 Valley cover with the integrated PCV built in. Supposedly just connecting the vacuum to one of the valve covers (like the old small block chevy) is not effective and doesnt really do anything. Whether thats true or not I dont know.

Diagram pulled from https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...32-ok-pcv.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html

Last edited by LQ4BU; 09-15-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine going to dual catch cans with breathers...I want to add a port at the valley cover also.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

PCV mounted in rear driver side valve cover grommet. 90 deg fitting from PCV valve to hose. Hose to catch can. Filtered brake booster one way valve in catch can that allows it to vent under pressure & seal during vacuum. Hose from catch can to vacuum PCV port on intake. Filter/breather in oil cap. Clean air enters passenger side head, travels through crank case & out driver side PCV valve.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

so in a basic, un-boosted, daily driver 6.0L, can you get away with just running both valve covers to a catch can that vents to the atmosphere, or do you really need to run the valley cover PCV? I understand the point of the system in an OE application where you can't vent anything to the atmosphere, but is it necessary in a very mild application such as mine?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run the ls6 valley cover and run it to a vacuum behind the carb like in post # 9 . I do not run a catch can . I put a small filter on both valve covers for air intake . I can not see to where I have lost any oil or so small amount I can not detect it . What this does is pull air thru the head on both sides down thru the crank case and up thru the valley area where there is very little oil suspended to pull out . Unlike the valve covers where there is oil flying around everywhere . If you pull vacuum out from valve covers you will loose a lot of oil . My valley cover has the integrated pvc and filter in it so no need add a pcv valve .This also gives a good uniform crankcase ventilation from both sides . I am very happy with this set up . It works well for me .
Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
so in a basic, un-boosted, daily driver 6.0L, can you get away with just running both valve covers to a catch can that vents to the atmosphere, or do you really need to run the valley cover PCV? I understand the point of the system in an OE application where you can't vent anything to the atmosphere, but is it necessary in a very mild application such as mine?

Thanks for the help!
I would think ANY vacuum hooked up and drawing gases through the engine is better than none. Everyone has their own setup and ideas. Some setups work better than others, some will siphon more oil than others, but I would think the LS6 valley cover is probably the most effective. Just depends on how far you want to go with it.

Theres also many users that simply put the mini cone shaped air filters on the valve cover tube allowing open air venting with no vacuum, and they've reported no issues with years of use.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have a part number for the cover youre using?

Thanks

Originally Posted by homemade87
I run the ls6 valley cover and run it to a vacuum behind the carb like in post # 9 . I do not run a catch can . I put a small filter on both valve covers for air intake . I can not see to where I have lost any oil or so small amount I can not detect it . What this does is pull air thru the head on both sides down thru the crank case and up thru the valley area where there is very little oil suspended to pull out . Unlike the valve covers where there is oil flying around everywhere . If you pull vacuum out from valve covers you will loose a lot of oil . My valley cover has the integrated pvc and filter in it so no need add a pcv valve .This also gives a good uniform crankcase ventilation from both sides . I am very happy with this set up . It works well for me .
Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4BU
I am not saying this is the only way, or the best way, but it seems pretty simple and effective. There seems to be many different opinions on which way is right or wrong. But from what I have read IF you are going to do it, you need the LS6 Valley cover with the integrated PCV built in. Supposedly just connecting the vacuum to one of the valve covers (like the old small block chevy) is not effective and doesnt really do anything. Whether thats true or not I dont know.

Diagram pulled from https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...32-ok-pcv.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html

this is how I rolled.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Do you have a part number for the cover youre using?

Thanks
The cover I used was a 12577927. It has the internal pcv system . Also has the knock sensor holes . The ls2,3,7 cover is a different part # 12599296 (has no knock sensor holes ) . There is some that came out earlier that has to have an external pcv valve added . Do a google seach on ls6 valley cover , there will be a ton of info to see which one you need .

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18 Here is a how to that may help some of you on the ls1

Last edited by homemade87; 09-16-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks! in another post, I found that 12577927 is the 2004+ LS6 valley cover with internal PCV....Summit sells it for 100 bucks
Old 09-18-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is like TxSilverado and LQ4BU show in their diagram. Except I am using a 3/8" fuel filter instead of running a hose to the aircleaner.

BUT think I am going to modify mine to delete the extra PCV valve. The LS6 valley cover already has one. I didn't know that at the time I first did it.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ls6 valley cover with hose to back of carb. Then line from each valve cover to breather tank. Works like a champ
Attached Thumbnails Please post how you did your PCV setup.-20150916_221713.jpg  
Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

so what did you guys use to block the knock sensor mounting holes in the LS6 valley cover?
Old 10-04-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

This is the one we use. They have three styles, for however you want to hook it up.
Attached Thumbnails Please post how you did your PCV setup.-black-seriesr_pdf.png  
Old 10-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Launching!

so what did you guys use to block the knock sensor mounting holes in the LS6 valley cover?
Flynavy , If you are having to buy one and are not using the center knock get the one that has no holes . It is the ls2 cover , It does the same as Ls6 cover . Ls2 uses the side knock sensers so no need for valey holes . If you already have the ls6 and are not using the center knock and converting to a side knock just clip the wire flush to the oem plug . It is under the FI intake and cant see it . My carb set up I used the ls2 cover with no knock holes .
Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TTur1996
This is the one we use. They have three styles, for however you want to hook it up.
You can look them up on the Net under Mighty Mouse Solutions.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by homemade87
Flynavy , If you are having to buy one and are not using the center knock get the one that has no holes . It is the ls2 cover , It does the same as Ls6 cover . Ls2 uses the side knock sensers so no need for valey holes . If you already have the ls6 and are not using the center knock and converting to a side knock just clip the wire flush to the oem plug . It is under the FI intake and cant see it . My carb set up I used the ls2 cover with no knock holes .
Hmmmm....well Ive got an LS6 valley cover, with the holes, and an Edelbrock valley cover with no holes or PCV valve. It does have a bung that can be drilled out and a PCV valve added, so I may try to take the PCV assembly off the LS6 valley cover and use it on the Edelbrock cover.....we'll see

Quick Reply: Please post how you did your PCV setup.