Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Help on the LQ4 build!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on the LQ4 build!!

So I picked up a 190K mile lq4 awhile back for $300, and it didn't have the fuel injection setup with it, so I decided to go the carb'd route since FI is too spendy and there's not many places to go get a tune on a fuel injected car where I'm at.

I got the victor jr intake and msd 6010 ignition system. I am still not sure which cam I want to go with, Can't decide between the Lingenfelter Gt2-3 or the Texas speed torquer v3. Anyone prefer one over the other? Also this will be a street car that will very seldom see track days.

Got the bores checked by a machine shop and they just need a hone to clean them up, crank is good just needs to be polished. Going to replace all the bearings, piston rings, might replace pistons and rods (I heard the rods were the weakest link in the LS6s).

This is my first LS build and was looking for some advice on the build- what to check, what to replace, etc.

Plans are to run NA for awhile with stock parts, and then go a supercharged route with eventual upgrades to heads, internals, etc.

Also, does anyone have a similar build with HP/TQ numbers? Thanks!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Teching In

I am also open to other Cam options if you guys have any recommendations!
Old 09-25-2015, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have an LQ4. I removed the 317 heads and installed stock 799 heads which raised my compression to about 10.1 I got a custom cam made for my application.

When you swap the cam get good lifters, pushrods, and at least do a trunion upgrade on your rocker arms if you keep the stock ones, they are another weak link.

I installed my LQ4 bone stock in my car, added headers, carb, and vic jr intake. It went 11.80's. Installed the custom cam the following year and its down to 11.23 so far.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

LQ4/LS3 combo here....also recommend a custom cam, LS7 lifters (I think they all are now ?)
Old 09-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

If you could share more about the vehicle the engine is going in, it would be helpful.
What is the car?
Intended use?
Rear Gear?
Transmission?
If automatic, what stall converter?
What driving characteristics do you want?
How do you want it to idle? smooth? Muscle car? Hot Rod? etc.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If you could share more about the vehicle the engine is going in, it would be helpful.
What is the car?
Intended use?
Rear Gear?
Transmission?
If automatic, what stall converter?
What driving characteristics do you want?
How do you want it to idle? smooth? Muscle car? Hot Rod? etc.
The engine is going into a '91 Camaro, and the intended use was mentioned in the beginning, it will be a street car, that will rarely see track days (there's not very many tracks around where I live). I will be tracking down a tremec 6-speed for the swap and eventually I will be going a supercharged route. I am pretty flexible about the characteristics of it, as long as its not too peaky and the idle isn't too choppy. Something middle of the line would probably work pretty well since the engine stock already makes decent torque, I'm just hoping to pick up a bit more power on the big end

Quick Reply: Help on the LQ4 build!!