Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Removing Factory ECM for 5.3 Carb Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Factory ECM for 5.3 Carb Swap

Good evening all! I did some searching but couldn't find anything related. I have a few questions pertaining to the Carb setup.

1. Going from a TBI setup, I imagine you have to remove the ECM? I have an 89 Caprice with TBI.
2. And after removing the ecm, when you install the MSD 6010, the pink wire that ran to the HEI is what would be used for the ignition to key?
3. I'd like to do a quick confirmation of parts needed for swap. If I'm missing anything, please let me know. Retrofit Oil pan, Carb intake w/MSD 6010, Fuel pressure regulator set to about 5 1/2-7 psi. (I already have an electric fuel pump in tank), relay for fuel pump and wire it to the oil pressure switch to turn on the fuel pump, step adapter for my 700R4, I have the engine mount adapters, elongate the holes on the flexplate, steam vent (not sure where to route that) and of course a carb( i'll be going with a Holley Street Avenger 670.Oh, and for the TCC, that's automatically ran to the brake switch. I shouldn't have to make adjustments there? Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the info you guys have posted over the years. I've learned tons just by reading up, I think these are the last few questions I have. Thanks to all the vets out there!
Jeff Daniel
89 Chevy Caprice 4dr Daily Driver/Project
350 TBI W700R4
Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

1. Yes you can remove the old ECM. I have a 92 GMC Sierra that had a TBI and removed it when I did the swap. Can't imagine it would be much different with yours.

2. Yes this is the wire I used to power my MSD 6010.

3. I drilled and tapped the top of my water pump for my steam vent. What are you using for headers? You plan on putting a cam in? Sounds like a cool swap
Old 04-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
1. Yes you can remove the old ECM. I have a 92 GMC Sierra that had a TBI and removed it when I did the swap. Can't imagine it would be much different with yours.

2. Yes this is the wire I used to power my MSD 6010.

3. I drilled and tapped the top of my water pump for my steam vent. What are you using for headers? You plan on putting a cam in? Sounds like a cool swap
Hey brother! Thanks! Yeah I need to do more research on the headers. Need to make sure they will not run into the firewall. I've found several on eBay for the b body platform.

Quick Reply: Removing Factory ECM for 5.3 Carb Swap