Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

New MSD ignition controller. Yes, NEW

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgillen91
looking at the instruction manual, the connectors for each bank of the coils has its own separate ground, which is different from the older boxes. I wasn't aware msd had a harness issue. Or is it just ugly looking that the problem is.
ugly yes, and they had issues with the terminals. They would drop left or right bank coils causing you to have a 4cyl not a v8
Old 08-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mr.Nitrous
ugly yes, and they had issues with the terminals. They would drop left or right bank coils causing you to have a 4cyl not a v8
So it's a harness issue? Have the same problem and thought about switching to Daytona because of that.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Mr. Nitrous a built in window switch for nitrous would be a nice feature for the new designed box.....if you haven't added it already!
Thanks
Old 08-20-2016, 03:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PT Nova
So it's a harness issue? Have the same problem and thought about switching to Daytona because of that.
I had the same issue (bloody chinese harnesses ) . The female earth terminal on one bank of coils wasnt properly closed and the male terminal was wobbling round inside .
i tryed allsorts looking for the problem and out of frustration started pokeing at stuff as the motor sat there idling . soon as i touched the plug it dropped the coils eezy fix though and its never missed a beat or had any issuses since.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys do realize he sells the Daytona box?

Pretty bad form, bashing another vendor on the forums.

Oh and by the way

this one
Old 08-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Teching In

mrnitrous seems too be a good guy with a good product .
msd sell a hell of a lot of theres too , and if they work fine why post here ?.
I think the odds of getting a crap harness would be about equall.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You guys do realize he sells the Daytona box?

Pretty bad form, bashing another vendor on the forums.

Oh and by the way

this one
Not bashing another company, Stating the simple facts. And as far as the link you posted, One bad harness will happen from time to time. Which I also stated I would give the customer a new harness and said customer liked the product better then his msd unit. Where is a product rep from MSD at on here to help you? Or give you tech advice after hours or weekends ?? Like I said stating the facts.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Not bashing another company, Stating the simple facts. And as far as the link you posted, One bad harness will happen from time to time. Which I also stated I would give the customer a new harness and said customer liked the product better then his msd unit. Where is a product rep from MSD at on here to help you? Or give you tech advice after hours or weekends ?? Like I said stating the facts.
you're doing it again.

Perhaps you should register as a vendor and become and official site sponsor. Play by the rules and properly support the site for a change.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

We should all be thanking Mr.Nitrous and Daytona sensors for providing the LS world with a better box than what was available previously.

I would bet money if they wouldn't have come out with the Smart Spark our only options would still be the 6010 and 6012.....

I do not know the forum/site rules but again we should all be thankful that someone from the company is on here to see what we are requesting and providing feed back/interacting with us.

I also don't see anything wrong with the facts he stated.

Thanks Mr.Nitrous/Daytona Sensors!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Unfortunately they aren't facts. MSD has no more of a harness issue than the Daytona box. Both products seem to have a quality control issue, but that is to be expected to a certain extent when companies try to mass produce consumer products while minimizing costs. Something people need to keep in mind.

I have no issues with someone putting their product in a good light and like you I am thankful there are multiple vendors. I bought an LS2 crate motor without realizing at the time I bought it no one made an ignition box for it. Fortunately my swap took so long that MSD did by the time I was ready for it. Good to suck sometimes.

Look at the guy from Speartech. Very well respected on this forum and the only thing I have ever read from him is positive and helpful comments. He does things the right way, never speaks ill of anyone, is always helpful and lets his product speak for itself.

I actually like reading Mr Nirtous posts. He is obviously a knowledgably guy and is quite helpful. Exactly the type of member that makes people want to come back to a forum like this

But him talking crap about MSD gives him all the credibility of a used car salesman. And now look what is happening, people firing back knocking his product.

Good work.

The only thing I know about the Daytona box is what I read here. The guys who are using it sure love it and that is enough testimonial for me. Must work fine.

I've had the MSD box on my swap for 10 years now. It does everything I want and I've had zero issues with it. By my guess 99% of the guys on here don't need and won't use 3D timing curves or individual cylinder timing.

As for looks, old farts like me look under the hood, see the round air cleaner, holley DP and a bright and shinny MSD box and think this is the car I could never afford back in high school. Daytona Sensors must be targeting guys like me, other wise they wouldn't have made the USB optional (WTF is with that?) and put all those fragile looking PCB mounted trim pots on top allowing guys to tune without a lap top. Not to mention only a Neanderthal goes carb in the first place.

I also like the way MSD put the connector on a the end of a pigtail. I hope Daytona didn't mount those exposed connectors directly to the PCB. Seems mechanically fragile. But again, I have never seen one in person.

I wish both vendors would go Bluetooth/wifi and include a smart phone app (with appropriate encryption to prevent the guy in the lane next to you from hacking your ignition). Have to wonder if the a wifi dongle in the MSD USB port will give me what I want.

But like any successful used car salesman I can see where any vendor could get nervous when someone comes out with an more capable product for significantly less money. Fortunately I'm not in the market for an ignition controller. I honestly have been thinking about making my own.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Hell, I know I hope this new ignition works as well for me as the 6010 and 6012 have. They have been flawless and the main reason I go carbed is to keep cost down.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the 6014 running . Cam/crank jumper harnesses are mis labeled. Pretty easy to figure out. Other than that all good!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Are you going to be using the data logging features and ign. ramp feature?
Let us know how it works out.
Good luck
Old 08-29-2016, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Petey-Pop-383
Are you going to be using the data logging features and ign. ramp feature?
Let us know how it works out.
Good luck
Yes I am using datalogging off of trans brake release. Yes I used the time based ramp. It works perfect. I am using it on a 440 ci nitrous motor with a single stage plate. Run 8.5 tire heads up with. Ended up qualifying #2 and losing in final round with it first time out. You can bring up 2 logs from 2 differnet passes and compare. Pretty nice. Takes the guess work out of the ignition ramp. I've used 6010 box for years. This is easier to tune when your traction limited
Old 08-29-2016, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I am using datalogging off of trans brake release. Yes I used the time based ramp. It works perfect. I am using it on a 440 ci nitrous motor with a single stage plate. Run 8.5 tire heads up with. Ended up qualifying #2 and losing in final round with it first time out. You can bring up 2 logs from 2 differnet passes and compare. Pretty nice. Takes the guess work out of the ignition ramp. I've used 6010 box for years. This is easier to tune when your traction limited
Old 08-29-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

What all will you be data logging? I would like to see a screenshot of your logs as I am interested in the data logging feature. Thanks and I bet that motor is a beast! How much nitrous are you spraying?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
What all will you be data logging? I would like to see a screenshot of your logs as I am interested in the data logging feature. Thanks and I bet that motor is a beast! How much nitrous are you spraying?

Anywhere from .082 jet (240 hp) to a .110 (400hp)
Old 08-29-2016, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Man that's nice. Can you hook up an external wideband to log?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by baronsmith98
Man that's nice. Can you hook up an external wideband to log?
I use a fast Wideband unit. Don't think you can hook a o2 sensor into any msd software

Quick Reply: New MSD ignition controller. Yes, NEW