Fitech install goodbye carb. - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Fitech install goodbye carb.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

Funny this thread just popped back up. My buddy with the FiTech just found out his fuel gauge is off....lol
Said he knew he was low, tried to make it to the gas station from where he was, left a light fairly hard, heard a pop, car cut off (no stumble), no re-start....call of shame to his wife to bring the gas can.....
Old 09-05-2017, 04:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikes87ss View Post
I just installed a Mean Street throttle body fuel injection unit on my 87 Monte Carlo SS.I had an 08 6.2 with a 850 Quickfuel carb,thunder racing cam,GM open plenum intake,turbo 400,3600 stall,9" with 3:70 gears.Carb just got to be a pain instantly filling garage with fumes and I just got tired smelling of the fumes.I already have GrandNational tank,pump and sending unit.I installed a 255lph pump and ran a return from throttle body to a Y at my corvette regulator.3 wires to hook up and coolant sensor and o2 sensor.Few questions to answer on little dashboard computer and it was running.The best thing I've done to this car to make it a pleasure to drive
i put the Holley sniper on my 6.0 . So far so good just needs learn time now
Old 09-09-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

most people would treat their cards like a FI . Put it on and drive it. Most wouldn't go through the hassle to tune it. Throttlebody FI has its place. ( retrofits )
Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
Funny this thread just popped back up. My buddy with the FiTech just found out his fuel gauge is off....lol
Said he knew he was low, tried to make it to the gas station from where he was, left a light fairly hard, heard a pop, car cut off (no stumble), no re-start....call of shame to his wife to bring the gas can.....

Doug, how long has he been running it and how does he like it? I'm considering buying one myself. I'm mainly interested because the same unit could work on any engine with a carbureted intake.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

He's not the greatest tuner, and I can say I'm a little jealous of him being able to just reach in the window to turn the key and it fires right up.... regardless of temp outside.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. I've done some more reading of people's experiences and can't find anything really negative about the actual injection system. There's some complaints about the fuel side that are mostly heat related, but most complaints I've read about the injection unit has been due to user error / lack of knowledge in programming. Also a few were from very early units that had hiccups but the company took care of them.

My biggest concern is possible (probable) lack of support or replacement parts 5 years or more down the road when things naturally wear out.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1961ba427 View Post
Thank you. I've done some more reading of people's experiences and can't find anything really negative about the actual injection system. There's some complaints about the fuel side that are mostly heat related, but most complaints I've read about the injection unit has been due to user error / lack of knowledge in programming. Also a few were from very early units that had hiccups but the company took care of them.

My biggest concern is possible (probable) lack of support or replacement parts 5 years or more down the road when things naturally wear out.
Buy the Holley sniper Instead. It's what I have on my 243 headed lq4. It runs good and holds good afr .
Old 09-30-2017, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367 View Post
most people would treat their cards like a FI . Put it on and drive it. Most wouldn't go through the hassle to tune it. Throttlebody FI has its place. ( retrofits )

Originally Posted by 70ssclone View Post
Buy the Holley sniper Instead. It's what I have on my 243 headed lq4. It runs good and holds good afr .

This reply relates to all three of these posts in some way.

-We went Fitech after several GM EFI age related parts failures turned into constant troubleshooting. First swapped to carb, then Fitech.

-Fitech is NOT self tuning. It takes as much f'cking around w/ the tuner as it does mechanically swapping carb orifices to get it set even close...without ever getting to a correct setting.

-Recently sent Fitech a final request for help before pulling their unit, 15 months after purchase. Got no reply. Probably due to it being 3 months past warranty.

-Have run inot more than a handful of people of whom returned their Fitech EFI due to its' lack of performance.

For 1/4 WOT runs...it's probably tuneable. For any type of spirited on/off throttle driving w/ hard cornering, it's a POS.

If EFI is your choice, pay more & get something that works for every driving condition. Fitech isn't the answer.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1-450 View Post
This reply relates to all three of these posts in some way.

-We went Fitech after several GM EFI age related parts failures turned into constant troubleshooting. First swapped to carb, then Fitech.

-Fitech is NOT self tuning. It takes as much f'cking around w/ the tuner as it does mechanically swapping carb orifices to get it set even close...without ever getting to a correct setting.

-Recently sent Fitech a final request for help before pulling their unit, 15 months after purchase. Got no reply. Probably due to it being 3 months past warranty.

-Have run inot more than a handful of people of whom returned their Fitech EFI due to its' lack of performance.

For 1/4 WOT runs...it's probably tuneable. For any type of spirited on/off throttle driving w/ hard cornering, it's a POS.

If EFI is your choice, pay more & get something that works for every driving condition. Fitech isn't the answer.
I bought the sniper because I read all the bad things about the fitech.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 AM
10 Second Club

Doug, how long has he been running it and how does he like it? I'm considering buying one myself. I'm mainly interested because the same unit could work on any engine with a carbureted intake.
Sorry for the late reply

Anywho, he's had it about a year. Not driven a lot, so maybe 500-1000 miles on it ?
No track time.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Default fitech update

Ive put a couple hundred miles on my Monte Carlo SS w/Fitech 800 HP Meanstreet.I personally have not had any issues wth mine at all.The car runs great,will burn the tires off from a 20 mph roll till you get out of throttle.Ive joined a couple groups on Facebook relating to Fitech and tuning of,changing parameters on controller.I've heard good and bad about the system,but I'm happy with mine.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mikes87, did i understand you to say you are running a stock ls temp sender with you mean street ? Im running the 1200pa and have the common low temp reading (compared to autometer gauge) and i would like to know if the ls sensor worked right. Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 03:44 AM
Teching In

Default temp sending unit

I have it on the passenger side rear head coolant hole.I have my stock 305 temp. sending unit turned down to fit into front drivers side head.This goes to my stock gage and they are both pretty close to each other.