Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Any carb guys running E85?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any carb guys running E85?

Just curious if any guys here are running a E85 carbed and how you like it. I'm doing mine soon.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Fuel ran good. Didn't run it enough, and got sick of cleaning the carb. Went back to race fuel.

Last edited by TTur1996; 10-23-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Launching!

I am running it. The benefits are great but maintence is annoying. Ive had a few issues pretty much only due to running the E85 for performance you cant beat it if your not able to run race gas.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:08 PM
9 Second Club

I bought a Pro systems carb speced to my engine combo. I'm doing it for a safer tune while running nitrous.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Patrick does nice carbs so you should be good. just remember your fuel jetting will be a lot different when using E85 vs other fuels.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:47 PM
9 Second Club

yes on the jets lol I haven't used 100 jets ever I think .
Old 10-29-2016, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
Just curious if any guys here are running a E85 carbed and how you like it. I'm doing mine soon.

I have a nitrous 5.3 running a holley e85 xp 750. So far I have had no issues, but I always add Lucas Ethanol Treatment to it.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

thanks I'll look into the Lucas stuff
Old 10-30-2016, 05:32 AM
10 Second Club

thanks I'll look into the Lucas stuff
Old 10-30-2016, 06:21 AM
9 Second Club

I could also put that in my boat, good.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tried the Lucas. Didn't do anything to stop the gelling. If your car sits for more that a couple days. It will gel in the float bowls. Just be diligent about cleaning the bowls and metering blocks and you will be fine. We cleaned ours at the end of every outing, just to be sure. Once it gels, it will eventually get into the circuits and lean your tune out. You won't believe the corrosion that occurs and how fast. We ended up not spraying with it. Was too worried about gelling in the fuel solenoids, and leaning them out. Never had any gel in fuel tank or filters. Just the carb. Not sure why. Also you will get a black gooey stuff inside your intake, all the way to the heads that surely can't be good. Not trying to scare you off. Just want you to understand the maintenance that is involved with E85. Hopefully you will at least check periodically so you don't burn your motor up like a few friends of mine did from not checking. Best of Luck.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:43 AM
9 Second Club

that's interesting, I know about 6 guys who run it also but all are FI. Never heard of it gelling, but they probably drive theirs more often. I know they all said to check the fuel blends when I buy it. Now I know a gallon in my standalone would sit for a while.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:47 AM
8 Second Club

Been running it for about 8 months with a Pro Systems carb and no problems. The car sits for a couple of weeks or more before I refill since it's not my DD.
I have a procedure for shutting it down if I don't plan to drive it for a week or more.
Pull one screw from each float bowl and drain, refill with regular gas through the vent tube with a syringe bottle. I put a cap on the fuel tank vent to prevent humidity and I store the car with at least 3/4 tank of fuel.
My shop is in Florida, not air conditioned, hot and humid and so far no problems. Because it's difficult to get I always keep about 20 gallons on hand in plastic race fuel jugs and the Lucas additive, no problems gelling.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran e85 for ages in my race car, never had any gel or corrosion issues
Old 11-01-2016, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sctrance
Been running it for about 8 months with a Pro Systems carb and no problems. The car sits for a couple of weeks or more before I refill since it's not my DD.
I have a procedure for shutting it down if I don't plan to drive it for a week or more.
Pull one screw from each float bowl and drain, refill with regular gas through the vent tube with a syringe bottle. I put a cap on the fuel tank vent to prevent humidity and I store the car with at least 3/4 tank of fuel.
My shop is in Florida, not air conditioned, hot and humid and so far no problems. Because it's difficult to get I always keep about 20 gallons on hand in plastic race fuel jugs and the Lucas additive, no problems gelling.
One of my friends tried that as well. Still gelled. He had a pro systems carb as well. It had nothing to do with any brand of carb. Pull your bowls and you will plainly see what I mean. It looks like clear jelly.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

that's interesting, I know about 6 guys who run it also but all are FI. Never heard of it gelling, but they probably drive theirs more often. I know they all said to check the fuel blends when I buy it. Now I know a gallon in my standalone would sit for a while.
I know several guys that run it with EFI as well. They all went back to Race fuel. Injecters are expensive. The problem is when it sits. If it's a daily you won't see it. You will see what I mean. I didn't say this stuff to try to start any type of argument. I just wanted you to be aware of what I found. I hope everything works out good for you. Its just been my and about twenty other guys experience. Best of Luck.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

well I guess I'll see the results. I did check a shop that specializes in E85 today and he told me that maybe the blend is off is why it's gelling. He checks the blend every time at the shop. he keeps 55 gallon drums of it. He also said that sometimes you get a 70 blend which maybe could gel?? he said. I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 AM
8 Second Club

The take away here is E85 certainly is not easy or as trouble free as race fuel, I don't think anyone would argue that but with the proper system design and some maintenance precautions and a reliable fuel source it can be very successful. You just have to weigh the inconveniences vs. the benefits and decide if it is right for you.

It is more difficult to maintain with a carb setup due to the increased exposure to humid air though the carb vents and I will be soon changing to EFI using E85 compatible injectors and other carefully select parts.
But the main reason for going EFI is to get better control of the fuel curve. Not knocking the carb but my car is very dual purpose , it was built for Drag Week type events and I want to be able to optimize both the street and race tunes.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I guess I'll see the results. I did check a shop that specializes in E85 today and he told me that maybe the blend is off is why it's gelling. He checks the blend every time at the shop. he keeps 55 gallon drums of it. He also said that sometimes you get a 70 blend which maybe could gel?? he said. I'll keep an eye on it.
We never ran any pump E85. We live close to the Ignite Racing fuel refinery. They sell directly to the public. Their mixtures are exact. They are rated #1. Every inch of our fuel system was purchased for the use of E85. Several of my friends on the other hand did use pump E85. Even our carb builder that only builds E85 carbs, nothing else said Ignite was the best. I'm not knocking the fuel at all. It ran great. And was very reasonable to buy. And if you are willing to do the maintenance it will work great. We have a very expensive motor and are not willing to take a chance of a fuel leaning out the carb and burning it up. Before we started cleaning out the carb after every outing. It was like chasing our tail with the tune. After cleaning, it ran dead nuts every time. Carb cleaner cleans it without any problem. Squirt a shot thru every orface. Then blow them out with air. It will work perfect for you every time. Just a suggestion. Best of Luck to you guys.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

not carbed, but been running E85 in my Turbo LS car for years sits and have had no issues, love the stuff in boosted applications !

Quick Reply: Any carb guys running E85?