Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Fuel Pump/Regulator Advice

Old 05-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pump/Regulator Advice

Running a carb'd 5.3 in 2002 Camaro.

#1. Anyone using the stock type in tank fuel pump with a regulator?

#2. Is there an in tank pump that has carb friendly fuel pressure?

Car will not be street driven, it is being set up for footbrake/bracket drag racing.
Slow stuff, targeting mid to low 12's.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Pumps don't make pressure, only volume. Pressure is determined by restriction.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:38 AM
Teching In

Yes, I understand that.

I was hoping to get some input from someone running a regulator.
Return type or not?

Maybe there is a drop in pump with internal regulation that is carb friendly
Old 05-14-2020, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

When it comes to fuel delivery and control of the delivery Aeromotive comes to mind. How much power this thing gonna be making?
Old 05-14-2020, 08:42 AM
Teching In

450 at flywheel
Old 05-14-2020, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

But your going carburetor so you wont be needing the fuel pressure that fuel injection requires correct? If so then you may be able to get away with the stock pump but you'd want to do away with the FPR on the pump assembly, keep your fuel filter and feed line but do away with the return on the tee block and install you an adjustable FPR up closer to the engine and re-run a new return line.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

https://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/11202/10002/-1

Old 02-10-2021, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this back up. Does regulating a pump with pressure for a F.I. down to around 6 wear out the pump faster? Thanks
Old 02-23-2021, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think not if you have a good feed and return line diameter and no restrictions in the lines. Like too small of a fitting or a necked down return hose.
The pump will pump what it was designed for. Let the regulator sap off 6.5 LBS. and then return the rest. The only thing you'll waste is the voltage to run the pump or maybe aerate some of the fuel in the tank. Keep the pickup away from the return line in the tank.
As long as the pump has a easy push back to the tank you are golden. Deadhead that pump and you'll let the smoke out right quick.
I return line all my Carburetor setups even when using a Carb designed pump. The pumps just last longer this way.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hyper57
I think not if you have a good feed and return line diameter and no restrictions in the lines. Like too small of a fitting or a necked down return hose.
The pump will pump what it was designed for. Let the regulator sap off 6.5 LBS. and then return the rest. The only thing you'll waste is the voltage to run the pump or maybe aerate some of the fuel in the tank. Keep the pickup away from the return line in the tank.
As long as the pump has a easy push back to the tank you are golden. Deadhead that pump and you'll let the smoke out right quick.
I return line all my Carburetor setups even when using a Carb designed pump. The pumps just last longer this way.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2021, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've read people have worn out the in-tank EFI pump when stepping down to a carb psi. Aeromotive makes a dual step EFI to carb dual regulator https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/ef...ure-regulator/

I bought a Mallory higher pressure efi bypass reg and will use a deadhead holley that I already have.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOT77
I've read people have worn out the in-tank EFI pump when stepping down to a carb psi. Aeromotive makes a dual step EFI to carb dual regulator https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/ef...ure-regulator/

I bought a Mallory higher pressure efi bypass reg and will use a deadhead holley that I already have.
I tried to use the stock style pump with the aeromotive dual regulator for my setup, but it didn't work for me. I played with the regulator and tried several different bypass pressures and never could get a consistent pressure out to the carb. Sometimes the gauge would read 6-7 psi, sometimes 8-9 and sometimes 3-4 and the float level reflected this.

In my opinion the best way to do the carb conversion is to weld a sump in the tank, run new lines, high gph/low psi inline pump with a lower psi regulator. I'm working on doing this to mine now. I'll let you know how it works

If you still want to go with the in tank pump and regulator I have a practically new aeromotive 13220. lol

Old 07-22-2021, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I run an in tank pump I believe from holley, it's rated for Carb and EFI use. I'll dig through my info and see if I can find a part #. It was easy to modify into my 95 hanger. Seeing as most pumps are about the same size and configuration it should be easy enough to retrofit into a different year car as well. I ran my own feed off the feed from the sending unit, capped the stock return and then used a bulkhead at the top of the tank to run my return back to. Mallory carburetor return style regulator and it held dead steady at whatever I set it to.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by biketopia
I run an in tank pump I believe from holley, it's rated for Carb and EFI use. I'll dig through my info and see if I can find a part #. It was easy to modify into my 95 hanger. Seeing as most pumps are about the same size and configuration it should be easy enough to retrofit into a different year car as well. I ran my own feed off the feed from the sending unit, capped the stock return and then used a bulkhead at the top of the tank to run my return back to. Mallory carburetor return style regulator and it held dead steady at whatever I set it to.
Good info. What’s the gph rating on the Holley pump?
Old 07-23-2021, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJW
Good info. What’s the gph rating on the Holley pump?
dug through old pictures and found when I installed it, this is the pump I'm running on my 95 with the 427, https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/19-369. I ran the stock EFI pump and stock feed and return when I had a warmed over 350 in it, with the same Mallory 4309 regulator. I did the 520hp 427 and ran all braded line and a new return and installed that pump while I was in there. It now runs the Holley snipper flawlessly as well. I just removed the carb regulator and plumbed the feed and return into the sniper.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Here’s how I did my fuel system. It’s a little overkill, but is working great so far. 1/2” npt outlet on the bottom of the tank to -10an all the way through pump and to the regulator. Went with 2 -6an lines out from the reg to the carb,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump/Regulator Advice