Daytona Sensors or MSD 6014 - LS1TECH

Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

View Poll Results: Daytona Sensors or MSD 6014?
MSD 6014 8 57.14%
Daytona Sensors 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Daytona Sensors or MSD 6014

Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
Teching In

Default Daytona Sensors or MSD 6014

Which is the better setup?

I will soon be purchasing one or the other for a bracket car that I'm building. I've never used either one so I'm trying to make an informed decision. I'm not worried too much about the cost difference, I just want to get the system that is the most reliable.
HuggerWU8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
11 Second Club

No hands-on with Daytona box, but from what I've seen, they have a better track record (no bad boxes that I've heard of) and better a support team IF there is an issue.
By looking at Daytona, it does "look" a little bit harder to program....but again, no hands-on.

IF my MSD goes belly up....I will be getting a Daytona box.
Doug G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #3
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerWU8 View Post
I'm not worried too much about the cost difference, I just want to get the system that is the most reliable.
I was worried about the cost difference, but still went with the daytona. Haven't had a single problem with it. Make sure you also order the usb adapter to program it, as the heaviest pre-programmed advance curve only puts in 25* total timing.
Greg.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 AM   #4
TECH Junkie

Been running an MSD for close to 10 years now. It does everything I need it to, haven't had a single issue with it.

The 6014 box is a considerable improvement over the original box. They added a number of different features. Some of the new features like individual cylinder timing are beyond my needs.

Price wise the MSD is a better deal. Daytona systems has the USB as an option, no idea why, you need that to better tune the box.

Not sure what to say about reliability. You will see more posts complaining about the MSD box, but it has been around longer and I'm guessing in much greater numbers so some of that is to be expected. The early MSD boxes had some issues reading certain crank sensors but they seem to have fixed that.

I would buy another MSD.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 03-17-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Pop N Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Launching!

I have been using a MSD 6010 for the last 2 years on my Carb blow through turbo setup. I haven't had any issues with mine but I know quite a few people who have.. The 6014 is big improvement over the 6010. I am now using the Daytona Sensors box and I must say the car runs a lot crisper. The software is extremely easy to use and the tech support is awesome. I'm lucky to live in Daytona so I know the tech guy very well.

Ive been to the shop and have personally seen the equipment used to assemble the boxes which is beyond stellar. I have not heard or seen anyone with a Daytona box failure yet. One big issue with the 6010 vs the Daytona box is at higher rpms the msd scatters timing really bad and can retard itself up to 5 or more degrees. The Daytona box is within .25 degrees of whatever it is commanded, all the way through. I don't know if the new 6014 box has had this issue addressed or not. Ive also been told that there should be some really nice new updates on the Daytona box to address ignition launch delays and other super cool software changes. Honestly, its really down to the features that suit you and how much you value tech support when tuning. Ive had some really poor support from MSD and nothing but excellent support from Dennis at Daytona Sensors Tech. Hope this helps!
Serioussn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
Teching In

Thanks to everyone that replied. Looks like I'm leaning towards the Daytona Sensors system.
HuggerWU8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
9 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggerWU8 View Post

I will soon be purchasing one or the other for a bracket car that I'm building. I've never used either one so I'm trying to make an informed decision. I'm not worried too much about the cost difference, I just want to get the system that is the most reliable.

I have had both. The Daytona Box is a reliable unit, but it's software is less user friendly and only has live data. The 6014 fixes a lot of the 6010's problems. The 6014 has no minimum cranking rpm, comes with the harness for both 24x and 58x crank and the harness is also higher quality than the 6010. The 6014 adds datalogging, on board 2 bar map sensor, launch retard, and the ability to store more than 1 custom tune (which you can change between without a computer). The nitrous retard also adds ramp rates and delays to the retard feature. The usb auto detects which comm port the usb is on, It also needs no adapter cables or extra interfaces, and the live data is in the same program as the tuning software. The MSD software will also run on a windows 10 tablet. I have had the 6014 for 6 months and had zero issues with the box or the software. I can't comment on the tech help as I have not needed any. At the end of the day either box will get the job done. If you think you will need help at the track at midnight I would buy the Daytona Box. If not the MSD is cheaper and has more features.
uraloser2me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Launching!

Well said Glenn!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
Launching!

I have had both. Mine is in a boat so things like Map sensor and ICT dont matter to me.

That said, my MSD 6012 failed on me and left me stranded.

I bought a Daytona box to replace it.

Couple things i have noticed

The MSD has a form of diagnostics... I had a bad cam sensor on the dyno. Couldnt get it to start. After double checking everything we tried a MSD box and the MSD Graph View came up instantly with a cam sensor failure. Replaced the cam sensor and the daytona box fired it off instantly.

Tuning with the Daytona isnt harder just different. Takes a second to get used to.

Verifying timing with a pointer and a mark on my balancer on the dyno. The Daytona was dead on nuts. He told me the MSD's are usually off a degree or two
steves86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves86ta View Post
I have had both. Mine is in a boat so things like Map sensor and ICT dont matter to me.

That said, my MSD 6012 failed on me and left me stranded.

I bought a Daytona box to replace it.

Couple things i have noticed

The MSD has a form of diagnostics... I had a bad cam sensor on the dyno. Couldnt get it to start. After double checking everything we tried a MSD box and the MSD Graph View came up instantly with a cam sensor failure. Replaced the cam sensor and the daytona box fired it off instantly.

Tuning with the Daytona isnt harder just different. Takes a second to get used to.

Verifying timing with a pointer and a mark on my balancer on the dyno. The Daytona was dead on nuts. He told me the MSD's are usually off a degree or two
Did you check the timing like that with the MSD box? And was it a 6014. Because we checked our 6012 like that, and it was dead nuts also. You sure it wasn't the cam sensor in the first place? And you guys had to hook up the MSD box, to find out what was wrong with the motor? We were going to go to the Daytona box too. But after reading this whole thread. And hearing some of the features the MSD box has. Hum There are quite a few people who have complained about about the MSD boxes in the past. But from what I can see, 99% of them were either self inflicted, or due to another bad part. And it wasn't the Msd box. Also, do you have to buy everything to hook up the Daytona box separate? And if so, what would be the price for everything needed for a nitrous motor? Thanks in advance. Just trying to decide which one to go with.
TTur1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 AM   #11
Launching!

The 6010s were really hit or miss. Ive seen some dead out of the box, multiple ground issues, and also harness issues like crazy. Ive got over 200 hours on my box with no issues BUT I also re did my entire harness and the wiring in my car is all brand new new, relay everything and weather pack terminal everything. The 6014 seems to address alof of the early MSD issues but they also haven't been out very long to see whats failing on them as well. The Daytona box is a simple harness connection that us definitely way better quality. It has retards built into the box along with other nice features like Individual Cyl timing etc. Personally, I would Call Dennis at Daytona Sensors Tech and pick his brain with your questions. If you need the tech he is there to provide as its his job there. Its really a 50/50 deal now that the 6014 is out.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
TECH Enthusiast

I really like the fact that they are made in America. Your right, I will call Monday. I think you can add a data logger to it, But not sure. I really wish FAST would come up with a selectable ECU that u could switch between EFI or carburated. The options on the XFI are awesome. Seems like they could use a lot of it for carburated. Then you would be able to switch without having to completely rewire your car If you wanted to go EFI. Or vise a versa.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Ign-8

HI ALL, as a member of the DIS inventor team 60-2 (58x) I would ask to ADD my IGN-8 to the POLL.

This product has been proven in production BEFORE MSD AND Daytona EVEN sold DIS, years before.

So I ASK why not ?

Lance
Pantera EFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serioussn95 View Post
... along with other nice features like Individual Cyl timing etc...
That is one of the features that I know I would never use. I would bet 99% of us fall into that same category. But from what their brochures say the 6014 has that as well.

One of the things they added to the 6014 that I REALLY like is a low voltage monitor. I would bet over half of the problem posts on this site have been due to poor power.

I couldn't figure out why MSD added that selector switch at the top of the box when it is so easy to hook up a lap top. But I guess both guys try and cater to the user who doesn't want to use an external PC.

Programmable through a cell phone with a bluetooth, that is where they need to go next. Also make it no bigger than a coil pack and mount it right on the coil mounts. Simple two wire hookup, +12 and ground. That could cut the harness down to the two sensor lines, a vac line, the retard switch and a cable bridging left and right sides.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
TECH Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTur1996 View Post
I really wish FAST would come up with a selectable ECU that u could switch between EFI or carburated.
Guys on here have done that with the stock GM computer.

By the way a cam sensor can't affect the timing by just a couple of degrees. A bad cam sensor will either put timing where it belongs or 180 degrees out. You only need the cam sensor to get the car started, once it is running unplug it and nothing will happen.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
In-Zane Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera EFI View Post
HI ALL, as a member of the DIS inventor team 60-2 (58x) I would ask to ADD my IGN-8 to the POLL.

This product has been proven in production BEFORE MSD AND Daytona EVEN sold DIS, years before.

So I ASK why not ?

Lance
Hard to find details, pricing and a lot of hands on experience with your product.
ZONES89RS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #17
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=steves86ta;19565745]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post

By the way a cam sensor can't affect the timing by just a couple of degrees. A bad cam sensor will either put timing where it belongs or 180 degrees out. You only need the cam sensor to get the car started, once it is running unplug it and nothing will happen.

I realize that. He said his 6012 died and left him stranded. I just assumed he had shut it off and it would not restart. Then he bought a new Daytona box and it wouldn't start either. So they hooked up the MSD box and it told them what was wrong. Changed the cam sensor and then the Daytona box fired it right up. I don't know, maybe I read it wrong. Have a good day!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 AM   #18
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantera EFI View Post

So I ASK why not ?

Lance
I guess because I have never heard of it. And can't find any info on it. So I'm game. What is the web site so I Can check it out.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #19
Launching!

I checked the DIY autotune website and found nothing.... Can you provide a link pantera?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default PanteraEFI.com

Hi, thanks for the offer.

My site "PanteraEFI.COM"
GO to new products, scroll down to the bottom, then up.

The Part number is 99182.xxx

The "xxx" is for the fitted MAP 1,2,4,7 sensor.
The "xxx" is for coil type.

The software is the same as my EFI ECU-882C.

Lance
Pantera EFI is offline   Reply With Quote