Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Holley intake manifold won't seal

Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I like some of holleys products. Just not that thing. I'd rather pay a bit more for the eddy stuff that is tried and true with the exception of the intake cracking around the outside of the o ring on the older original intakes.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And once again, are they the correct o-rings for the intake, or does it use OEM type ?

pictures would be helpful

It shouldnt be difficult to figure out.
Yes, the O-rings come with the manifold.

The groove in the intake is very small (3/32 in), much smaller of a groove than a regular LS manifold that uses the rubber seals. and it will only accept that particular 0-ring which is included when you buy the manifold.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

The Edelbrock intake had a history of cracking when cut to accept GM o rings, so they must have tried to solve it by making a smaller groove.
Mine cracked orig, I contacted them, but they never responded, so I welded them up. GM o rings are expensive, but I had the orange ones (Felpro?) tend to kind of melt on me.
I just used gaskets and no problems after that.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by forcd ind
The Edelbrock intake had a history of cracking when cut to accept GM o rings, so they must have tried to solve it by making a smaller groove.
Mine cracked orig, I contacted them, but they never responded, so I welded them up. GM o rings are expensive, but I had the orange ones (Felpro?) tend to kind of melt on me.
I just used gaskets and no problems after that.
The Holley one uses actual 3/32 o-rings. At least those rubber (orange seals ) are somewhat thick. I put a paper gasket on it and now it runs fine.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 AM
9 Second Club

well I guess I'm going to check my Holley intake also. I have a small surge too lol
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
well I guess I'm going to check my Holley intake also. I have a small surge too lol
If you have the one that uses the small black O-rings as opposed to the factory seals I would definitely check. Spray brake fluid at all the intake runners where they meet the head. If it does leak, I used the felpro 1312-3 paper gaskets and now It seals just fine.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Casting defect ? Not to add insult to injury but this is why I bought an edelbrock intake instead of an overseas holley . I've read about situations like yours . Best of luck hope you get it figured out .
Old 04-28-2017, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

I just received my new Holley LS3 and looks a lot better then my old one, same style just newer. I had the Puck installed so didn't want down time. I don't see hardly any casting flash like my older one, it's a lot smoother inside and now they milled a small angle on top of the port for clearance. I had to use a small grinder/file to do the old one as it hit the top lip of the cylinder head. Plus I bought it to clear my stock hood, the Edelbrock would not.
But to be safe I did use the felpro gasket 1222-2
Old 04-28-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

The supplied O-rings work fine. Used them in our Procharged LS2 with a Mid-Rise EFI intake (dual quad style lower) at 12psi.

The problem is you milled the heads .015" and didn't have the intake angle milled to match. Therefore you created enough of a total variance to achieve the leaks.

I will agree that Holley had some casting issues out of the box with their early releases, I spent 2+ days porting and shaping my Mid-Rise intake to create even CSAs in each runner.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
The supplied O-rings work fine. Used them in our Procharged LS2 with a Mid-Rise EFI intake (dual quad style lower) at 12psi.

The problem is you milled the heads .015" and didn't have the intake angle milled to match. Therefore you created enough of a total variance to achieve the leaks.

I will agree that Holley had some casting issues out of the box with their early releases, I spent 2+ days porting and shaping my Mid-Rise intake to create even CSAs in each runner.
My heads were milled .044 and I don't have a sealing problem with the Holley intake.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Yeah, .015 is nothing. I took the manifold to my machine shop and they verified it was slightly warped. I put a felpro 1312 paper gasket on it and it seals good. Plus, I believe the EFI manifolds use a different gasket. At least the EFI one I have on the shelf in my garage does, but it might be an old style.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the Holley 300-137 mid rise single plane efi version on my car..... I haven't had any sealing problem and it was really clean inside(no bad casting flash problems at all), and trust me I am a picky MFer..... I bough it probably a little over a year ago.....
Old 05-07-2017, 07:49 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Everything I have seen, the edelbrock stuff has a cleaner casting inside.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley intake manifold won't seal