Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Msd cam sensor fault on my 5.3

Old 05-04-2017, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't have the same color wires across each other on the coils. Driver and passenger.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
You can't have the same color wires across each other on the coils. Driver and passenger.
i fixed it, it was the cam sensor i dont know what happen but i put old old one back in and it ran like a champ i guess new sensor was faulty, im getting my money back lol
Old 05-05-2017, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

great to hear, would have answered more detail but I was kinda driving lol
Old 05-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTur1996
I'm not sure if this is your problem. But a friend of mine's car was doing the same thing. No Power, and would not put down any times. When it would hit 6000 rpm it would break up slightly. Otherwise it seamed to run and sound pretty good. Come to find out that he had both coil harnesses flipped over backwards. How in the heck could it run with every plug firing at the wrong time? And seem to run fairly well, other than no power. You would think it would have been popping and banging bad. Just something simple to check.
What harnesses are you talking about? The ones that hook from the box to the harnesses or are you talking about from the harness plug to the individual coil packs? (Like left cool bank on right side and right coil bank on left side. Is there any difference on how they are wired? Cause I know I never took them apart just unhooked them and sat them off to the side and then put them back on. Could it be I got them flipped?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know the outer wires are swapped on the cam sensors for the 24x and 58x reluctors. I wonder how the 6014 box handles that?

I know on my 58x LS2 the 6012 box was wired with the same cam sensor connector as the 24x cam sensor and the GM extension harness swapped the wires. When I removed the extension harness I had to make sure the wires were swapped properly (the pins on the cam sensor are clearly marked) and switch to the smaller metric pack plug from the end of the extension harness.

Does the 6014 box provide some sort of adapter depending on which motor it is hooked to?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 AM
9 Second Club

on my new 6014 box on the cam sensor I did the same thing, repinned and swapped out one of the connectors.
Bignbadbelair yes you might have one of them flipped, the plugs on the coil. they are color coded. both sides are the same colors but they cannot be the same colors across each other. like pass and driver coils from across cannot have the same color wires. that's what I did by mistake. All day fighting it and my friend comes over and 2 minutes BINGO he says flip your harness on one side lol vroom
Old 05-06-2017, 09:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You know the outer wires are swapped on the cam sensors for the 24x and 58x reluctors. I wonder how the 6014 box handles that?

Does the 6014 box provide some sort of adapter depending on which motor it is hooked to?
The 6014 comes with 2 different harnesses for cam and crank sensors. 1 is for 24x crank with rear cam sensor, and the other is for 58x crank and front-mounted cam sensor. You just plug the one you need into the main harness. If you run 24x and a front cam sensor you probably have would have to repin the cam sensor plug.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bignbadbelair
What harnesses are you talking about? The ones that hook from the box to the harnesses or are you talking about from the harness plug to the individual coil packs? (Like left cool bank on right side and right coil bank on left side. Is there any difference on how they are wired? Cause I know I never took them apart just unhooked them and sat them off to the side and then put them back on. Could it be I got them flipped?
Like Bowtiedford already stated. The harnesses that plug directly into the coils. They both are identical. There is only one wire that is a different color in each plug. One end starts with a purple wire. That is number one.(Drivers side) The other end is red and goes to seven. On The passenger side. The red wire goes to number 2 and the purple goes to number 8. The 2 plugs in between will lay out accordingly. If you only have one side flipped it will pop and backfire. But if they are both flipped, it will start and run normal, will have low power, but will only break up slightly at 6000 rpm. Otherwise seem normal.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:29 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by uraloser2me2
The 6014 comes with 2 different harnesses for cam and crank sensors. 1 is for 24x crank with rear cam sensor, and the other is for 58x crank and front-mounted cam sensor. You just plug the one you need into the main harness. If you run 24x and a front cam sensor you probably have would have to repin the cam sensor plug.
MSD verified that you can run the 24x with a 4x cam up front, just use the correct sensor. Unless the tech was lying.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
MSD verified that you can run the 24x with a 4x cam up front, just use the correct sensor. Unless the tech was lying.
I am sure you can, but in my experience it is not always plug and play with either brand of box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Msd cam sensor fault on my 5.3