Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Msd 6014, losing power to coils after startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd 6014, losing power to coils after startup

So I figured out the problem with the cam sensor and got to where I can get the engine to start. But now it is starting, running a few seconds then dying. Has plenty of fuel pressure. Just acts like you kill it.

Read about VATs but i am not using the factory ECM. I have the box wired up like diagram with a 30 amp relay with a keyed 12v and a fused battery connection. Grounds are good, I think.. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by NtxS10Ls; 09-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Launching!

First things first. Ground the MSD box directly to the battery and see what happens. Also, how do you know you are losing power to the coils? Also, fuel pressure is great and all, but what is the carb doing? For example, if your idle mixture screws are closed the car won't run
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Teching In

After a few seconds it just falls in its face and dies. Haven't checked idle screws, haven't got to mess with the carb yet due to motor not running. I jumped motor ground where my coils are at to same side of frame the battery is grounded in rear.

Gotta wait ant till tomorrow to try anything else out. Broke bendix on starter when it kicked back on backfire. Box was changed to ls2 setting.....
Old 09-11-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hooking an inductive timing light to one of the coil wires will tell you if you are losing spark. Pulling the air cleaner and watching the accel squirters while you pump the throttle will tell you if you are running out of fuel.

The ls2 setting just changes the signal sent to the coils. Probably doesn't affect much.

You have a 6014 box which data logs input voltage. That will tell you without question if you have a voltage problem. But since it is starting stop screwing with grounds and start looking somewhere else. Dying under load or full RPM is something else, but petering out at idle probably isn't voltage. If you just can't let it go than check the voltage reading in the data logs.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Teching In

We had it at 4K rpm and it would just die. I was watching the data screen an would see a voltage drop. Not a complete loss of voltage but a drop. I am still new to the ls swap world and it's all a learning experience!!
Old 06-16-2018, 02:14 PM

Default The Same issue

I am having the very same issue right now@?@??@@??&?&,& I just can’t get it to stay running???? Any help would be...well better than me shooting this thing??
Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Try putting a test light on the power wire feeding the relay to see if it goes out at the time of shutdown. If it does could be a bad ignition switch with a intermittent problem. If it doesn't go out then put the test light on the wire feeding the box off the relay. If it goes out there it could be a bad relay. I always bring a dedicated ground straight to the back of one head with a jumper to the other head. Ground the box at the spot where the dedicated ground hooks to the first head. Main power wire from the box should go straight to the battery. All Per MSD. Otherwise I Would say you may have a bad box. I'm not a fan of relays. Seen too many problems with them. More connections in the line, more chances for a problem. All our stuff is hooked directly to 20amp switches with lights and 20amp fuses. The lights are an easy visual to tell you there is power on the load side. The fuel pump, water pump, and each fan only draw ten amps each, the Brake and Shifter only 15amps each. No need for relays. The box draws even less. The only things we have relays on are nitrous related because of high amperage draw or because they are electronically activated.

Last edited by TTur1996; 06-17-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that the MSD box instructions tell you to wire the positive wire directly to the battery but If you run the power wire from the MSD box directly to the battery doesn’t that mean the box will stay on all the time? How is the box supposed to shut off when you turn the ignition switch off?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Is there another wire that hooks to SWITCHED power to activate/shut off the box? Like a relay?
Old 06-16-2019, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The box just has a single power lead to be connected to "switched 12v". Seems to me you need to tie the power into both the purple wire off the starter (for cranking power) and the ignition wire ( for running power). Replace the cloth wire out of the firewall with a 12 gauge stranded wire is one way. I guess another option is to use a switch for on/off which is simpler. Any other methods?

Quick Reply: Msd 6014, losing power to coils after startup