LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Carbureted LSX Forum (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum-172/)
-   -   Dreaded cam fault in 6014 (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum/1893897-dreaded-cam-fault-6014-a.html)

lsdrag 03-13-2018 08:06 PM

Dreaded cam fault in 6014

So need some help from all you guys/girls. 2nd year on my setup, ran great last year all the way thru October no problems. Lol hard to start, occasional backfire thru carb but no faults. Checked after every pass. So 1st race this year in feb. Pulled the car out checked everything, charged battery, cleared all data. No code. Got to the track, made a hit car slowed down 2 tenths. Made and pass, same thing, never trust first pass. Pulled data cam sensor fault. Ran all day came home installed new sensor, code fixed. Go to traxk, same thing. Called msd, checked all wiring, all checks good. Msd now says that if car starts ignore the code and keep racing. But why would it slow down so much if only cam fault.

please help with ideas

Pop N Wood 03-14-2018 06:52 AM

I can verify the cam sensor is only needed to get the car started right. I've disconnected them with the motor running and it keeps running.

There are obviously a million reasons why a car could slow 2 tenths. The cam sensor code might only be a distraction, but the worry beomes it is pointing out some other issue in the ignition.

By the way, what were your times?

lsdrag 03-14-2018 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood (Post 19853368)
I can verify the cam sensor is only needed to get the car started right. I've disconnected them with the motor running and it keeps running.

There are obviously a million reasons why a car could slow 2 tenths. The cam sensor code might only be a distraction, but the worry beomes it is pointing out some other issue in the ignition.

By the way, what were your times?

The car had been running 7.0s last year. Got going this year and best I got footbrake was 7.19. Tested all three wires at sensor and got 12v, ground, and voltage while starting. Have 2 sets of coils to play with. Heat sink round truck coils, and set triangle shaped coils, of an fbody I think.

Slick68 03-14-2018 08:23 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. What aggravates me the most is, my truck operated flawless for 4 1/2 years with the 6010! Switch to the 6014 and can't get it to work quite right!

ZONES89RS 03-15-2018 03:26 PM

I’m going to be going EFI myself. On the fence about selling all the carb stuff or what.

lsdrag 03-16-2018 03:10 PM

Update 3-16

So got car in shop today, and yes code still there. Rechecked all wires, pins, and checked ohms for sensor to box. All checked perfect, even checked pins for proper location. Silly I know but gotta check everything. Plugged laptop back in, mystery, no code. Fired up car let run 30 secs, code is back. Opened up a new msd box and changed msd box. Not harness, or sensors just the box. Car has been running for 30 mins and no codes. I'l update after the track this weekend.

Bowtiedford 03-18-2018 10:42 PM

I've had that dreaded code also, but cam sensor like its been stated is only for the start up. We also unplugged it and still ran with no issues. I would be checking other things too, Tires?

Slick68 03-19-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS (Post 19854501)
I’m going to be going EFI myself. On the fence about selling all the carb stuff or what.

Me too! I've started shopping around for different EFI setups.

lsdrag 03-19-2018 06:13 PM

Weekend update

Ok, went to track yesterday, and here' your info. Straight out the trailer, warmed up the car and all fluids, as normal. Went into the lanes when called and 1st hit off the trailer was 7.06. Pulled data, no codes. Made total of 9 passes at the track, slowest pass was 7.11, bracket racing, had to play at end. 7.03 was best pass of the day and still no cam fault code. Now with all that said here is where I'm at in my thought process. I have a custom grind in a not straight up position. I agree that a car will run with a cam fault, but in my case it made the tune slow down to 7.20s and up to 7.03 with same time in a different box.

Slick68 03-22-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by lsdrag (Post 19857526)
Ok, went to track yesterday, and here' your info. Straight out the trailer, warmed up the car and all fluids, as normal. Went into the lanes when called and 1st hit off the trailer was 7.06. Pulled data, no codes. Made total of 9 passes at the track, slowest pass was 7.11, bracket racing, had to play at end. 7.03 was best pass of the day and still no cam fault code. Now with all that said here is where I'm at in my thought process. I have a custom grind in a not straight up position. I agree that a car will run with a cam fault, but in my case it made the tune slow down to 7.20s and up to 7.03 with same time in a different box.

I'll probably send my box back to MSD to have it checked after this weekend.

lsdrag 03-22-2018 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Slick68 (Post 19859471)
I'll probably send my box back to MSD to have it checked after this weekend.

That' what I was gonna do, but when I called msd, I was informed that this is a sealed unit and they don' repair them. Seeing that it' fell filled it cost more to fix than a new one costs. So basically the msd 6014 is a throw away unit.
I hope you have better luck than I did.

Bowtiedford 03-22-2018 08:33 AM

Honestly don't think it's the box, I use to bracket race my car for over 20 years and 2 tents was sometimes the norm, depending on track prep, tires, and weather, especially weather. At my track, times are so dependent on what mood their in on prepping the track lol.

pantera_efi 03-23-2018 10:36 AM

6014 On Pot

HI ALL, the WORST thing one can due to a circuit board is to put it in a Box AND fill it with potting material as is done in the 6014.

The material expands/contracts with HEAT often pulling the SMD parts off the board solder contact areas.

I use a Boeing specification material coating, Urethane, that seals the board/components.

I have never had such a problem with my Ignition controllers/EFI controllers.

I would hope some here would "shop" my ECU-882C-LS for their needs ?

Lance