LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Carbureted LSX Forum (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum-172/)
-   -   MSD 6014 No Start Problem (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum/1900242-msd-6014-no-start-problem.html)

racer442olds 06-11-2018 07:35 AM

MSD 6014 No Start Problem

Having issues with no spark. Looks like everything is working in MSD View except its showing a cam sensor fault. I just finished up re wiring the car with a K&R Kit and everything looks correct. Any ideas? The car doesn't even try to fire just cranks and cranks.

Doug G 06-11-2018 07:53 PM

Some of us have found you need to have a boost box or jumpers from a running can to help the first fire up by spinning it faster and no voltage drop....Worth a try ?

racer442olds 06-12-2018 07:00 AM

Ill try that, I put in a new cam sensor and re did my grounds all with the same results. I do see the voltage drop to 8.5 to 9 Volts while cranking.

Pop N Wood 06-12-2018 03:33 PM

Are the plugs firing? Can you pull a plug wire, stick in a an old plug and hold it to the block when cranking?

Do you see an RPM reading on the lap top when cranking?

Where are you drawing power to the box from? Seems like a pretty good voltage drop but I guess that could be due to the overall starter draw. Some guys run the old ignition coil wire to the box which just doesn't work. Hopefully some sort of relay to the fuse box.

Aside from that try a shot of starter fluid in the carb.

racer442olds 06-12-2018 03:36 PM

No RPM reading on the lap top. I will check a plug. I tried wiring it directly to battery and originally on the ignition post on the relay board.

Pop N Wood 06-13-2018 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by racer442olds (Post 19913236)
No RPM reading on the lap top..

You gotta fix that. Everything else is secondary.

Try pulling all the plugs so it will turn over faster. See if that generates an RPM signal

racer442olds 06-13-2018 08:25 AM

I put the battery charger on it last night. It spins over fast. But still isnt showing RPM on the laptop but does show it on my tachometer. Still doesnt want to even try to fire

Pop N Wood 06-13-2018 05:08 PM

With no RPM signal into the box it won't fire.

Where are you drawing the signal from for your tach?

racer442olds 06-13-2018 05:26 PM

140-200 rpm reading while cranking

OkieDave 07-26-2018 02:57 PM

Similar problem with two 6010 boxes

My 6010 box quit firing. It Sparks one side of motor when there are no plugs screwed in, won't spark at all with plugs in. I just finished pulling out the crank to make sure the reluctor didn't slip. It didn't. Needless to say I've checked everything I can think of. Had the same problem three yr ago and never did figure it out but I took that boat apart and put the parts in a box. This year I put together a different boat and used those parts and they were fine. Same motor, box, harness sensors etc. Now it quit too. Back then, I could put any of the parts i.e. box, harness,etc, on one boat and it fire right up but other boat no fire no matter what combination of parts. Now I'm back to nothing on one of them except it fires one bank as long as there's no compression.

racer442olds 07-26-2018 03:03 PM

I ended up having severed a few wires in the harness and didnt know it.

uraloser2me2 07-27-2018 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by racer442olds (Post 19912384)
Having issues with no spark. Looks like everything is working in MSD View except its showing a cam sensor fault. I just finished up re wiring the car with a K&R Kit and everything looks correct. Any ideas? The car doesn't even try to fire just cranks and cranks.

Front or rear cam sensor?

OkieDave 07-27-2018 05:49 PM

Front

This one is front. 1X. I just tried the third one. Same result. No spark with compression, Sparks when plugs are out. MSD shows cam sensor code. MSD tech says not cranking fast enough. Cranking rpm 200 when plugs are out, doesn't read cranking rpm with plugs in. Tried two starters, 3 batteries. Even tried a separate battery for ign and different one for starter.

uraloser2me2 07-27-2018 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by OkieDave (Post 19938286)
This one is front. 1X. I just tried the third one. Same result. No spark with compression, Sparks when plugs are out. MSD shows cam sensor code. MSD tech says not cranking fast enough. Cranking rpm 200 when plugs are out, doesn't read cranking rpm with plugs in. Tried two starters, 3 batteries. Even tried a separate battery for ign and different one for starter.

1 Does MSD show cam code even when spark plugs are out?
2 Did you use the harness with 6014 only ore is the cam sensor wire extended?

I have seen issues with cam sensor wires being reversed on the front mount extension harnesses. My motor is 13.5 to 1 with a factory starter it will crank with a 6014.

On an LS1 harness the cam sensor is wired A Signal B Signal Ground C Voltage
On an LS2 harness the cam sensor is wired A Voltage B Signal Ground C Signal

You may just need to swap the 2 outside pins on the cam sensor wiring to get your signal correct.

OkieDave 07-29-2018 03:53 PM

It's a 6010 box. I have two of them. With harnesses. They both work on my other motor which is nearly identical i.e. 4.125 stroke in a 6.0 block with 243 heads. The Gen 4 block is the aluminum one and the cam sensor wires are switched. I have to switch them back if I put on the one w gen 3 block. The aluminum block is the one I'm having trouble with altho I had this problem about 3 yr ago with the other one. Back then, both boxes and harnesses would work on the aluminum motor but neither would work on the iron block motor. MSD says I'm not cranking fast enough but I don't know how to speed it up. The error code doesn't show when cranking without compression. It does show on the other one too but it starts and runs altho last trip it started acting up. Backfire and flames out both exhaust and carb and then started running.??? I'm afraid if I don't figure this out, I may not get another box to work either.

Pop N Wood 08-02-2018 06:03 PM

Sometimes MSD boxes have trouble reading the crank signals on certain motors. Used to be anything with a calais crank would be that way. The older boxes were notoriously bad, don't hear this complaint as much as in the early days.

The later GM starters are smaller and spin the motor faster. They use better magnets I think. An aftermarket unit will as well. Some guys have gone so far as to use a 16 V battery to start the motor.

Your best solution might be switching to a Daytona Sensors ignition. Maybe a 6014 works better, but if I were going through what you are I wouldn't want to give any more money to MSD.

OkieDave 08-03-2018 02:30 PM

Thanks for the response.

Yes, if Msd can only tell me I'm not using the box for what it's intended for, and I'm not cranking fast enough, I'm reluctant to give them anymore business. I'm baffled. Spark when no compression, no spark with compression. Box and harness work on my other boat with nearly identical motor. 3 cam censors and 3 crank sensors, nothing. Both starters fire the other motor easily. It ran all last year and early this year. Always hard to start tho. Maybe I'll try a Daytona sensors box and harness?

TTur1996 08-04-2018 04:24 AM

[QUOTE=OkieDave;19942602 Box and harness work on my other boat with nearly identical motor.

If the box works on your other boat fine. I would have to say its not your box. Sounds to me that you have a bad ground. A dedicated ground needs to be run from your battery to one of the heads with a jumper going to the other head. Ground the box on the head at the spot the dedicated ground comes to. The coils pick up their ground from the heads and sometimes when using thread sealant on the head studs or bolts it keeps it from grounding right. This is per MSD.

Pop N Wood 08-04-2018 09:08 AM

He gets a crank signal when he pulls the plugs. That doesn't change the grounding. Unfortunately the MSD boxes seem more sensitive to the reluctor alignment than other brands

https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...l#post19847337

OkieDave 08-04-2018 01:37 PM

Extra grounds already added.

I added grounds to coil wiring harnesses a long time I, before the problem started.