Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

E85 for a 11.5/1 ls1 hotrod build....yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
What is with all these low compression builds wanting to run e85? Do you just like throwing money out the window? You’re gonna get horrible gas mileage, no real power gains - except now you get to pay even more for gas and you have to drive way out of your way to get it.

This isn’t a mustang, a 2-valve head doesn’t flow anywhere near enough, you’re not gonna see **** for gains with 11.5:1. If you can’t build your engine with some real CR like 13-15:1, don’t even bother. You people watch way too many YouTube videos. Pick up a Hot Rod magazine or something.
He did say "Building an Autocross 70Camaro" So I don't think miles per gallon is a priority besides it's the same mileage per dollar/ It's all over my city and many others. If he has easy access to it then why not. He will see some gains in torque and HP 11.5:1 is not exactly low compression and he said he can get 91 not 93 so ethanol would be a better option. Ethanol has shown to improve midrange torque even at lower compression ratio's and cools the intake charge. I still see no reason not to go with E85. Since I blew your cost so much more theory out of the water what other reason is there not to run it?
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
What is with all these low compression builds wanting to run e85? Do you just like throwing money out the window? You’re gonna get horrible gas mileage, no real power gains - except now you get to pay even more for gas and you have to drive way out of your way to get it.

This isn’t a mustang, a 2-valve head doesn’t flow anywhere near enough, you’re not gonna see **** for gains with 11.5:1. If you can’t build your engine with some real CR like 13-15:1, don’t even bother. You people watch way too many YouTube videos. Pick up a Hot Rod magazine or something.
People here don't like you.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Wow Joe. Here we gotta put up with guys like him that contribute very little, and guys like you are here helping a bunch, yet you're the one who's STILL restricted. Where's the justice?
Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default E-Fuels WITH Mercury & Nitric Acid ADDED

Hi ALL, I LOVE "E" fuels.

NEVER ADD Mercury AND Nitric ACID TO THIS TYPE OF FUEL as a power adder !
I BEG YALL to be Car=full.

Lance
Old 09-02-2018, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

With 11.5ish to 1 ….
If it was steel heads, alky may be needed depending on the rest of the combo and how driven.
Aluminum heads, I think 91-93 will be fine depending on the rest of the combo and how driven.

And while we're on the subject...…...The higher octane fuels are for resistance to knock (ie: burn slower). You take your daily driver that runs 87 pump **** and fill it up with 112 (or better) it will NOT run faster. Just an FYI for those that think otherwise.

FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE
Old 09-02-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
With 11.5ish to 1 ….
If it was steel heads, alky may be needed depending on the rest of the combo and how driven.
Aluminum heads, I think 91-93 will be fine depending on the rest of the combo and how driven.

And while we're on the subject...…...The higher octane fuels are for resistance to knock (ie: burn slower). You take your daily driver that runs 87 pump **** and fill it up with 112 (or better) it will NOT run faster. Just an FYI for those that think otherwise.

FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE
That article is a gasoline to gasoline comparison on a stock engine not gasoline to Ethanol on a modified engine.
There are other benefits besides the octane rating. Yes he can probably run 93 and possible 91 with no problem, But with 11.5:1 compression he should see a slight power increase and be safer as far as the tune is concerned. If he keeps the fuel consistent he should also benefit from the cooling effects of ethanol while running the **** out of it on the autocross course.

Hell I'd switch just so I didn't have to smell unleaded gasoline fumes in my garage E85 smells much better.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
That article is a gasoline to gasoline comparison on a stock engine not gasoline to Ethanol on a modified engine.
There are other benefits besides the octane rating. Yes he can probably run 93 and possible 91 with no problem, But with 11.5:1 compression he should see a slight power increase and be safer as far as the tune is concerned. If he keeps the fuel consistent he should also benefit from the cooling effects of ethanol while running the **** out of it on the autocross course.

Hell I'd switch just so I didn't have to smell unleaded gasoline fumes in my garage E85 smells much better.
Agree, may be safer tune (more timing and fuel) Vs the pump ****....But that was just an 91/93 Vs 112+....yes, not Ethanol.

I can't say where a local alky pump might be here
Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I hate how much bs there is about e85. If you've never run it keep your mouth shut. If you had you wouldn't be here talking negative about it because the pros highly out weigh the cons.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Pretty sure that wasn't towards me, always willing to listen.

List all these pros over cons, please....inform me, like to know more.
Pump E85, 11.5:1 or less compression, naturally asperated.
Pro...…………………..................................….. .Con
Higher octane............................................ ...less MPG per gal.
costs less per gal.........................................hard to find
cooling effect of Alky....................................fuel system changes
More ?
https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy...ison-test.html

Decent read for your DD/bolt-on only/cam swap type vehicle.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of the e85 being better for tuning. From what i have read 91 octane on a 11.5+ compression will take a spot on tune to run safe. I don't really want to sell my AFR heads just to run pump 91 fuel. Plus the idea of running e85 sounds fun....id love to turn up trimming and poor the fuel to it. I'm not worried about fuel cost as this is a smiles per gallon hotrod that's only drove to car shows, summer nights, hot dates (with my wife) and autocross events. I'd rather be off on the tune and still be safe vs runnibg the line on 91 and burn something up with a bad tune. The only negative I can see is the guys that say if it sits it gels and clogs up carbs.....also that it collects water like a sponge. Idaho is very dry tho and the e85 guys i have talked to local seem to love it without issues.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

228R from TSP.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
Pretty sure that wasn't towards me, always willing to listen.
It wasn't
Old 11-02-2018, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been running E85 carbed now for over 2 years, only thing I’ll add is I use the Lucas additive for E85. Works great, just took my fuel bowls off to change jets and looks great inside. I use E85 so I don’t use a stand-alone tank for nitrous now. I did pick up hp on the engine Dyno, compared to 93.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
I hate how much bs there is about e85. If you've never run it keep your mouth shut. If you had you wouldn't be here talking negative about it because the pros highly out weigh the cons.
The E85 around here varies between non existent and inconsistent. As a race fuel it would be great if we could get the same blend for more than one tank at a time. As anything other than a race fuel it is an environmental and fiscal catastrophe. The pros only outweigh the cons if you use it solely for racing and don't care about any of the political or financial considerations. Even then it is only better if you live somewhere with a steady consistent supply.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroTraction
Building a autocross 70 Camaro and thinking e85.. good or bad idea?
I made the switch. 12/1 forged nitrous drag car. 9.5 in 1/4. I will never go back to race gas or pump gas.
I have never seen pump e85 vary from e98 where I get it, and I test every fill. Do it!!!!!
Old 11-06-2018, 05:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, lot of conflicting information.

Doesn't help with guys start thumping their chests and getting all emotional about it.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

We tried it. Got a custom built carb. It ran good, motor stayed cool. The only thing was we were always chasing our tail on the tune. Couldn't figure out what was causing it till I read an article about the fuel gelling up. I pulled the float bowls to discover there was some clear jelly in there. Really didn't notice it during jet changes prolly cuz we weren't looking for anything like that due to I had never seen it before. Sprayed it with carb cleaner and it melted right off. Cleaned the metering blocks too. We were running a 14.5:1 motor. After seeing this I checked the fuel filter and found nothing. Checked the tank and found nothing either. So what we found was after every outing we would pull the bowls and blocks and clean them. Then the AFR's stayed solid. You could see in the log that the motor would begin to lean out if you didn't. Not sure if I would have put vacuum caps on the vents of the carb during sitting if that would have stopped it or not. Even read where some would run the bowls down at the end of the day and pour some race fuel down the vents to keep this from happening. We went back to race gas. Motor stays just as cool. I have a lot of friends that run it fuel injected and seem to not have any problems that I know of. If we go that route we may try it again.