LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Carbureted LSX Forum (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum-172/)
-   -   E85 for a 11.5/1 ls1 hotrod build....yes or no? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum/1905559-e85-11-5-1-ls1-hotrod-build-yes-no.html)

ZeroTraction 08-29-2018 01:48 AM

E85 for a 11.5/1 ls1 hotrod build....yes or no?

Building a autocross 70 Camaro and thinking e85.. good or bad idea?

John_C 08-29-2018 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroTraction (Post 19957770)

Only issue I see is pump E85 is inconsistent in % Ethanol so you'll need a flex fuel sensor to run it.

And the % Ethanol also effects octane.

Most pumps read 51% minimum and up to 85% Ethanol, but I've never had any over 78% and I've seen it as low a as the 60% range after being on E85 a full year.

So if it pumped, let say, 60% Alky, then what is the actual octane?

That's what you need to find out.

I really don't know the answer to that question, though.

Maybe someone more educated on Ethanol % vs Octane can answer that for you.

HCI2000SS 08-29-2018 03:50 AM

It depends. Are you able to run max timing on pump gas?

ZeroTraction 08-29-2018 08:20 AM

Ls1 short block 83k miles, AFR 205cc milled 60cc for 11.5/1 compression with .040" head gaskets, biggest cam I can run without fly cutting....about a 227/236, 615"lift 113. Dual plane or single plane not sure yet, long tube headers and full 2.5" exhaust. 6010 MSD box. In Idaho 91octane is the highest at the pump so I'd have to run conservative on the timing to keep things safe. If I was to run e85 I'm hoping I could add more timing and gain better performance. What would be needed to run e85 other then a bigger carburetor? New fuel lines(no rubber). what fuel pump?

KILLERARMY 08-29-2018 05:06 PM

If you do decide to go E85,I would get this E85 tester from Quick Fuel Technology. Like John C mention,E85 can vary high and low octane.By getting this tester from Quick Fuel,you would know the octane level.I was told some (Pro & Con) about E85. The (Pro) about E85, Is that your performance on ride will be off the chart (Great Performance). The (Con) about E85,If the weather is cold below a certain temp in the winter. The E85 will turn into gel and also be hard to start the car. If you let your ride sit for like a months or 2,it would also turn into gel and be hard to start again.

gametech 08-31-2018 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroTraction (Post 19957770)

E85 would be a waste of money and give erratic performance due to the various levels of ethanol. At only 11/1, you would be far better off just using pump 93. If you eventually use some FI, we have a different discussion.

AINT SKEERED 08-31-2018 06:33 AM

Yep better off getting a cam that will allow pump gas

ZeroTraction 08-31-2018 09:05 AM

So what cam would you recommend for 91 pump gas?

ZeroTraction 08-31-2018 09:13 AM

Please share how you came you came up with 11/1 compression. Factory pistons .005-.0010 out of the hole 60cc heads .040 gaskets factory bore.

AINT SKEERED 08-31-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroTraction (Post 19959255)
Please share how you came you came up with 11/1 compression. Factory pistons .005-.0010 out of the hole 60cc heads .040 gaskets factory bore.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...a31fca3ed4.jpg

AINT SKEERED 08-31-2018 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroTraction (Post 19959252)
So what cam would you recommend for 91 pump gas?

I'd call Geoff Skinner at eps and see what he recommended.

ZeroTraction 08-31-2018 01:23 PM

Thank you yes that's how I got the 11.5/1 also. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wrong on compression.
I contacted cam motion and they are the ones that speced me a 227-236 .615 113+2 and said that about the best I could do without PTV problems. I'd love to get it down to a 110 even if I need to go lower on duration but not sure yet. I'll try contacting other cam companies and pick there brain!

ZeroTraction 08-31-2018 01:27 PM

I have talked to two different guys local that run e85 on boosted Evo imports and they say even at 60% alky on the e85 that the octane will be greater the 91. So my thought is I should get better performance with more timing no matter what vs pump 91. The question is how much and is it worth the cost in the carburetor. I guess if I didn't like e85 really all I need to do is change the carb and go to 91 then retune timing tables with the MSD 6010 correct??

AINT SKEERED 08-31-2018 05:57 PM

If octane holds you back then by all means go e85 or even buy a can of torco for each fill up. Bump up to 95 or so octane.
cam motion is good as well.

AINT SKEERED 08-31-2018 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ZeroTraction (Post 19959442)
I have talked to two different guys local that run e85 on boosted Evo imports and they say even at 60% alky on the e85 that the octane will be greater the 91. So my thought is I should get better performance with more timing no matter what vs pump 91. The question is how much and is it worth the cost in the carburetor. I guess if I didn't like e85 really all I need to do is change the carb and go to 91 then retune timing tables with the MSD 6010 correct??

yeah just keep an eye on the percentage as your stoich will change

LLLosingit 08-31-2018 08:29 PM

Way to much misinformation in this thread!

Originally Posted by KILLERARMY (Post 19958292)
The (Con) about E85,If the weather is cold below a certain temp in the winter. The E85 will turn into gel and also be hard to start the car. If you let your ride sit for like a months or 2,it would also turn into gel and be hard to start again.

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fuel-Te.../dp/B007ZJ749O

It will not be that hard to start if he runs e70 and where in the hell did you come up with it turning to gel and be hard to start again in cold weather?
You do realize alcohol doesn't freeze right? And that windshield washer fluid has high alcohol content so it doesn't freeze...so why would his fuel turn to goo??? I run E70-E85 in my fuel cell all year and drive it when the roads are clean ( No snow or salt) It fires up even below zero, I just have to let it run a few minutes to get some temperature in the engine before I drive away. I fill the fuel cell in the fall and don't drive it enough to use the 19 gallons the cell holds so the same fuel sits for months and guess what....it runs like a champ!

Originally Posted by gametech (Post 19959183)
E85 would be a waste of money and give erratic performance due to the various levels of ethanol. At only 11/1, you would be far better off just using pump 93. If you eventually use some FI, we have a different discussion.

As stated above E60 and up has roughly the same anti-knock ability as E85 so it should really be that noticeable other than running slightly rich with the lower Ethanol content. If you think about it for a minute....when the air is cool the engine will want more fuel anyway so running slightly rich is not a bad thing when using a carb in the winter, Unlike injection that will adjust the tune itself as the air gets colder a carb has to be jetted up to compensate for the better air...so less ethanol and more gasoline is still going in the right direction in the winter as long as you don't run below E60 or so.
A person also has the option of buying E98 and adding it to E70 to bring the Ethanol content up. Ethanol has been proven to make more torque and power and run cleaner in an engine that has a compression ratio high enough to make use of the extra octane.

Most stations in the Midwest go from summer blend (E85) To winter blend (E70) So tune to E85 in warm weather and the worst that can happen is the car runs a little rich if you can't find e85 right away. You can always back the timing off a little if you are worried about detonation until you get better fuel in the tank. The only downside I've found with Ethanol is finding it on longer road trips.

LLLosingit 08-31-2018 08:36 PM

I also want add that I run 10lbs of boost in a mostly stock 9.6:1 LY6 (just LS9 cam and long tubes)

gametech 09-01-2018 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by LLLosingit (Post 19959646)
Way to much misinformation in this thread!

It will not be that hard to start if he runs e70 and where in the hell did you come up with it turning to gel and be hard to start again in cold weather?
You do realize alcohol doesn't freeze right? And that windshield washer fluid has high alcohol content so it doesn't freeze...so why would his fuel turn to goo??? I run E70-E85 in my fuel cell all year and drive it when the roads are clean ( No snow or salt) It fires up even below zero, I just have to let it run a few minutes to get some temperature in the engine before I drive away. I fill the fuel cell in the fall and don't drive it enough to use the 19 gallons the cell holds so the same fuel sits for months and guess what....it runs like a champ!

As stated above E60 and up has roughly the same anti-knock ability as E85 so it should really be that noticeable other than running slightly rich with the lower Ethanol content. If you think about it for a minute....when the air is cool the engine will want more fuel anyway so running slightly rich is not a bad thing when using a carb in the winter, Unlike injection that will adjust the tune itself as the air gets colder a carb has to be jetted up to compensate for the better air...so less ethanol and more gasoline is still going in the right direction in the winter as long as you don't run below E60 or so.
A person also has the option of buying E98 and adding it to E70 to bring the Ethanol content up. Ethanol has been proven to make more torque and power and run cleaner in an engine that has a compression ratio high enough to make use of the extra octane.

Most stations in the Midwest go from summer blend (E85) To winter blend (E70) So tune to E85 in warm weather and the worst that can happen is the car runs a little rich if you can't find e85 right away. You can always back the timing off a little if you are worried about detonation until you get better fuel in the tank. The only downside I've found with Ethanol is finding it on longer road trips.

And exactly what part of my post did you feel was misinformation? Changing AFR by a significant amount will change performance, so it would be erratic. E85 is more expensive to run than pump gasoline due to far worse MPG. I know that he could gain power strictly due to the high oxygen content of ethanol fuels, but would that really make a big difference for an autocross car? Isn't the repeatability of consistently making the same power on each tank of gas a benefit? As for timing, an 11.5/1 motor on 93 probably won't be timing limited. Since he later said 91 octane, that may be a different story.

AINT SKEERED 09-01-2018 06:10 AM

Actually 30% more fuel but shout 30%cheaper at the pump. I'd say a wash or close enough.
I'd run it if we had more pumps local to me. We have 1 15 miles from my house and 2 that are 50 miles away

8.Lug 09-01-2018 01:15 PM

What is with all these low compression builds wanting to run e85? Do you just like throwing money out the window? You’re gonna get horrible gas mileage, no real power gains - except now you get to pay even more for gas and you have to drive way out of your way to get it.

This isn’t a mustang, a 2-valve head doesn’t flow anywhere near enough, you’re not gonna see shit for gains with 11.5:1. If you can’t build your engine with some real CR like 13-15:1, don’t even bother. You people watch way too many YouTube videos. Pick up a Hot Rod magazine or something.