Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb 5.3 what head gaskets for added compression

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carb 5.3 what head gaskets for added compression

Hey guys I just picked up a 2000 5.3 to build for my 72 nova project. I’d like to make as much power as I can, drivability is not an issue. I am trying to keep the bottom end stock as well as the heads (for now) and gain power by adding compression with a thinner head gasket. What gasket thickness do you guys recommend and also, since I didn’t buy a cam yet. What is the biggest cam I can run without running Into PTV clearance issues with the thinner head gasket. I only bought a few parts for the engine so far, I am trying to do as much research as I can before I purchase any more parts.

Thanks, I know it is a somewhat generic question haha.

My other option is buying stock replacement gaskets and calling it a day.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

You're not going to gain much compression with thinner head gaskets. Just mill the heads to the desired ratio, keeping in mind the cam you wish to use.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

With any decent cam, you're not going to mill much if any without fly-cutting and make big power.
You may be better off with just getting a decent cam and looking into a power adder later down the road ?