Notices
Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Front cam sensor needed on LS gen3?

Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Default Front cam sensor needed on LS gen3?

Been having a coil firing problem on #1+ 6 with Daytona Sensors LS box. Tech says I might need to convert to front cam sensor cover because of aftermarket Comp Cam 600/610 238/242 @050. Anybody had this problem? Sending box and harness back to check before I change.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

IF the Comp cam has the sensor half-rings on the back of the cam, you should be OK with them.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Had SS trailblazer intake in Corvette and it worked fine but since I went to carb with Daytona Sensors LS box it dropped # 1 & 6 after running fine for 15 minutes, when restarted it never ran right again. Tried replacing crank sensor no difference.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get the Daytona Sensors box checked out. That's the only change?
You went from a fully functional injection system to a CARB????
Old 12-19-2018, 09:09 PM
Teching In

It was perfect till I went carb.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

A lot of people talking problems with cam sensors.

The cam sensor typically isn't needed once the motor is running, only to get it started. Unplug the thing altogether and half the time it will start fine and the other half it is 180 out and back fires when trying to start. I have no experience with the daytona box but the MSD is absolutely that way and the physic don't change.

The fact only 2 of the cylinders have issues tells me it is not the cam sensor.

Common approach on this sort of thing is swapping coils around and see if the problem moves.

Is this all the time of just intermittent?

Old 12-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Itís all the time. I just rechecked all the grounds. Then I took harness & box out to send back, it doesnít make any sense to me that from one start to the next it lost 2 coils and I did swap with no change. Took my Pro Systems 750 off and put an old one on before backfires popped power valve again, thanks for info I need all I can get Iím old school.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
A lot of people talking problems with cam sensors.

The cam sensor typically isn't needed once the motor is running, only to get it started. Unplug the thing altogether and half the time it will start fine and the other half it is 180 out and back fires when trying to start. I have no experience with the daytona box but the MSD is absolutely that way and the physic don't change.

The fact only 2 of the cylinders have issues tells me it is not the cam sensor.

Common approach on this sort of thing is swapping coils around and see if the problem moves.

Is this all the time of just intermittent?
That will be dependent on whatever control box/ecu is being used.

Strictly speaking it is not needed to recheck cam position...but most ecu's will continue to do so, and will not be happy if it isnt a valid signal. But you'd assume the control box would have some form of error reporting for this.

But generally cam sensors and most sensors are very reliable...so it is unlikely to be the source of the problem.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for info, I sent box & harness back today, I hope they find problem.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: