Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb choice and tuning for STOCK 5.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Carb choice and tuning for STOCK 5.3L?

I'm working on our old '78 Chevy truck that's been in the family, and after about 550,000 miles the old 350 is so long gone that it's not even funny. I picked up a stock 5.3L out of a 2003 Tahoe to give this old girl a new life. It's very bare bones, basic, and "work truck" like, so the 5.3L won't be getting any hotrod parts, and it will be backed by the original SM465 transmission. Low cost and just getting it back into service and reliable is the goal here. I have a Holley dual plane intake and an MSD 6014 to perform the conversion with, and now I'm looking for a carb.

I want something that is a good fit for the engine and won't require much tuning. I know ready-to-run and out-of-the-box are never true, but I'd like to get as close to bolt on and go as possible. I would like to stick with something in the Holley line. I have an older 4160 but it almost seems not worth the effort to rebuild anymore, especially since I'll have to convert the choke over.

Has anyone had good luck with a certain carb on their STOCK 5.3L?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm thinking a Holley 600 or 650 vacuum secondary would fit the bill.

Shouldn't need much tuning really...