Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb 6.0 and having issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb 6.0 and having issues

I’ve done several Ls swaps. Mostly fuel injected. But I got into a Ls swap with a carb in a nova. Now I’m having issues.

Motor or is a 6.0 with a torquer v2 cam. Victor jr with 850 holly double pumper. Has 5.3 heads with bigger intake valves. Stock bottom end. Msd wires new ngk tr55s v grooved plugs. Heat sink coils. PAC springs.

Has the Edelbrock msd box with the pills. Has pill 6 in it. I double checked connections.

So so I went to start cranked forever and never started. Check grounds and 12v to box. It was cranking slow. So I went to a bigger battery. Cranked a while then began to hit a little out the exhaust. Then blew fire ball out carb. Tried a few more some pops out the exhaust. Then it start idled but not running on all 8. Maybe 4 cylinders. Tried to rev to keep running but dies. I’ve tried unplugging the map.

Any my suggestions where to start. I’m going to swap coil packs tonight from a running motor. I’ve search but it seems everyone has suggestions on the msd you can tune with lap top. I would have bought that but customer had intake and box already. Any advice would be great.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly? **** can the Eddy box and buy a 6014.

Not what you want to hear but tuning with the laptop will be worth the investment.

To help with what you have know that unplugging the MAP sensor puts in full vacuum advance. Combined with the #6 pill that is going to be a lot of advance. Also not sure if your manifold is like this but some of the eddy manifolds have a bolt hole for mounting the box that turns into a vacuum leak if it isn't used.

I would start with one of lower number pills. They are generally more conservative timing wise.

If the cam sensor is bad, that can cause backfiring. Cam sensor isn't needed once the motor is running, only to get is started right.

Beyond that it is just basic mechanics. Check wiring, pull each plug wire and see if you get a nice hot spark, check for vac leaks, check carb for leaks, blockages, etc. Sounds like you know that drill though.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Check your coil harnesses. The ones that are plugged directly into the coils. Make sure one is not flipped over backwards. They lay out the opposite way of each other. Happens all the time. Then break the bad news to that guy and have him go buy a 6014 like Pop told you. Sucks but you really need to so you can get it dialed in right. But it should run with what you have. Don't forget to check your grounds as well. Each head should be grounded.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I will preface this and say I am still in the MSD 6010 learning curve but I have to agree with " Pop N Wood" that the #6 Pill is way to big. I had similar issue's with a #3 pill and I removed it and now I can lean in the window and crank the car and it starts without me touching the gas pedal.