Notices
Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Can bad reluctor wheel cause Coil to not fire?

Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Default Can bad reluctor wheel cause Coil to not fire?

Have Ď99 5.7 LS1 with carb and Daytona Sensor LS box. Had had box checked twice & still have #1 coil that will not fire. Told to try extra grounds and did that but same problem. Got 12.6 volts at battery constant, 12.4 at ignition with 14+ with car running. Switched coil positions twice and whole coil pack with no change. Ready to try MSD 6014 and move on. Just thinking could bad tooth on reluctor wheel cause coil to not have signal?
Old 04-04-2019, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

Has to be a bad connection in the harness then, if a known working coil didn't work either. Make sure none of the terminals didn't push out of any of the plugs. Or bent a pin in one. Can't see it being anything else. You did make sure there is no spark with the wire off the plug or another plug out of the motor grounded right? If you didn't make sure there is compression on that cylinder. Try a different plug wire too if you haven't already.

Last edited by TTur1996; 04-04-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Checked for compression, bent pin or loose connection havenít found any. Tried multiple coils and grounde plug but no fire. Coil wire switched with same no fire to #1. Called Tech line all day, will try again today, Thanks
Old 04-04-2019, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

I really doubt its the reluctor. Could be the box. Had a 6012 burn up last year at the starting line. Thought something shorted out. Searched every inch of wiring and found nothing wrong. Went and got the 6014. Much better box for sure. May be what you will have to do. I have heard of some people sending their box to MSD and they sent them a new box at no charge. Since they don't make the 6010 or 6012 anymore they were sent the 6014 to replace. Might be worth a shot. I should have at least tried myself but didn't think of it at the time and it got tossed.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Going to talk to tech again tomorrow just for kicks and then order 6014. Itís getting nice out so gotta get my ride going.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: