Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Anyone tried a carb intake and dist on a ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shawn thanks for the quick reply. as far as I my project goes this is the
most-hardest-difficult-overwhelming-frustrading-aging accelerator decision I have to make,,, carb FI carb FI I know the cost and pros/cons just can decide
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i switched from a carb setup. I havent finished my EFI setup yet as i work 70 some hours a week but i switched because i wanted that "set it and forget it" tuning option. I did notice slight differences during the temperature changes in performance with the carb as well as an intermitent WOT stumble and such i just couldnt seem to tune out. After a summer of running the setup i decided that EFI was the way to go. EFI is by far a more costly option but will save you time in the tuning and give you the most fuel efficient and consistent power option.

i spent alot on my EFI setup in comparison to my carb setup. Probably about $1500 more when you include the tuning software and such. I also had a dual wideband O2 setup when tuning my carb setup and got it as humanly close as possible and i just felt i could get it even closer with EFI and lose no HP at all while getting an few mpg increase. I got about 20mpg with the setup in my sig. 525hp or so.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know which intake is taller; the Victor Jr or GM Performance intake? I would like to keep the stock, flat hood on my 70 camaro and I am trying to figure out which intake will give me the best chance of doing that but I can't find the height of the GM intake (according to Summit, the VJ is 6.07")

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Victor Jr is taller. I would use an Edelbrock Performer RPM with a dropped low profile breather. Better street torque and performance with good top end power. Should work good for you.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Use the edeldbrock performer and cut down the divider to make it more of a 1.5 plane intake, helped extend the peak HP and torque band. A good compromise.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

I'm using the Edlebrock Performer (dual plane) on my 79 with the stock hood. Use a Demon 650 double pumper and a K&N 2" air cleaner... rubs slightly, but it fits.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Update: I am now getting an LS1 with 35k miles on it for a price I could not pass up. We will be pulling it from my cousin's friend's Z28 on Saturday and I have a question regarding the AC. On 2nd gen swaps the AC hits on the k-member so requires either knotching the k-member or relocating the AC. Either way, will I be able to use the stock compressor or will I have to get an aftermarket one regardless?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Great info here!!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, i hope to get the carb tuned so that everything is perfect with the 6010 setup, the answers i find i will post here to help those that do not like the slight stumble issues.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sheephead
psia/absolute is 14.7 at see level. psig/gage is 0 at see level.

Gage pressure(psig)+atmosheric pressure(14.7)=Absolute pressure(psia)

So 5 psia is lower than 14.7 atmospheric pressure making it neg pressure.
5psia=18 inches of vac.on psig
It,s alot like converting Fahrenheit to celsius
I hope this helps and don,t confuse you more
Is the carb setup smog legal or race app only
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

If i have the OEM map sensor, i can connect it to the carb, for have a good reading ? connect whit the booster break hose? I have a 6012 msd box, whit a 6.0L + L92 head and GMPP carb L92 intake. Let me know... I have the MAP sensor wiring, but i did not connect it for the moment. motor run good, but have not the good timing. I'm better to connect the MAP sensor, and go whit the # 4-5 or 6 pre-programed curve, or i'm better to transfert a new timing curve whit my PC ? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Default Here's one,motor plates,Pacesetter LSX G Body

Should be running here in a couple of weeks,LSX(CID INFO COMING SOON)Motor Plate,Mid Plate,950 HP Carb,Front Mount Dist,Pacesetter headers,MSD 7AL ignition,and Mezeire electric cooling.we are expecting this thing to run really well NA with L92 heads and intake.

PST sent me a custom Chromoly driveshaft in one of the pics,stance is a little fucked up because full weight is not in the car.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I have seen the ls1 conversion on horsepower tv, on spike. Looks to be fairly straight forward you can go the the episode online and watch it. The went to pace performance,and gmpp for most of the conversion parts. You have to run a ford distributor is mounted in the front cover provided by gmpp. Its funny but when it was done the motor at a glance fould have you think it was a ford...lol
Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Will leave some people scratching their heads for sure.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Its not hard to do the conversion andit will make it easier with out needing allthe wires and the new fuel system you will have to put in play so if your not up for allthat its the way to go the cost would have me look atthe edelbrock set up and keep the coil packs..
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay here I go

I have had and driven plenty cars with some power under the hood, built motors and all that. Now I'm tired of paying out the pocket or dealing with shops.

I wanted to do a lsx swap but keep all the efi stuff. Since i decided to try and tackle on most of the work myself(be my first time building and getting real dirty with drive train) with hopefully the help of some other people I now want to run a carb setup on either a lq4/lq9.

These motors are still pretty high around my area, and I just want something new anyways with zero miles on it, something fresh to start with. There is not one local shop I trust to rebuild a lsx block for me and I can buy a brand new one cheaper anyways.

I see lq4 going for $2300 new and lq9 going for a few hundered more.

This is all going into a b-body caprice, car will probably weaigh over 4,500 after music goes in if not more.

I have a 10bolt 8.5in rear in the back yard thats getting re-built, new axles/gears/posi etc.

Complete suspension getting re-done, adjustable upper and lower rear control arms, new upper and lower a-arms, shocks/spring all of that etc.
Aluminum drive shaft, pulling the stock tank and putting in a custom aluminum tank with a sump, and electric fuel pump, and an Champion 3 row aluminum radiator. Long tube headers, full 3in exhaust and x pipe with cutouts. Using truck Acc brackets and keep the A/C. Shaving the fire wall and will be installing vintage air unit under the dash. Using a Dakota digital dash so a lot of pod gauges wont be needed.

lq4- I want to bump up the compression a bit. Going to use a set of worked l92 heads new springs/rockers etc. Putting on a cts oil pan, nice sized cam, ported oil pump, victor Jr intake, not sure which carb yet.

Or if I go.

lq9- Not sure what kinda route I will go with as far as heads and cam, everything else just like the lq4 I will do the same, oil pan/oil pump/intake/etc.

Going with a built 700r4, stall? not sure how big yet.

Looking to put down 450 or more RWHP

Gas mileage, whats that? Cali smog, whats that? None of that concerns me..

Looking to put down some nice numbers with a heavy *** car , this car will probably only be driven on the weekend mostly only.

Any suggestions motor wise? as in Which carb/heads cam? Anyone else making this much power to the wheels with a carb setup. Help me get there folks.

BTW, have absolutely no rear experience wiring up a motor or anything. Installing a stereo sure no problem I can do that, but will wiring up the motor be a real challenge?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Performer RPM vs Victor Jr. vs LS6 manifold on dyno

A dyno test by one of the corvette magazines comparing the Edelbrock Performer RPM and Victor Jr. to the LS6 manifold.
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...o_testing.html
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
A dyno test by one of the corvette magazines comparing the Edelbrock Performer RPM and Victor Jr. to the LS6 manifold.
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...o_testing.html
the carb intakes didn't seem to do too bad considering the cam seemed more efi oriented. the funniest part was the ls6 manifold outperforming the ls2. nice to see a comparison done though.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default ls on alcohol

have a ? for yall. going to build a 65 chevy II drag only car. running a 6.0 carb. with 6010 box, victor jr. intake. would like to put my rons alcohol terminator set up on this motor. has anyone seen it done defore[ls motor on alcohol]
Old 08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Anyone have problems with the 6010 and boost? will the combo work?

Quick Reply: Anyone tried a carb intake and dist on a ls1?