Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1997 to 1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro, RS, Z28 *DON'T QUOTE PICS!!!*

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1997 to 1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro, RS, Z28 *DON'T QUOTE PICS!!!*

Oh man... it's funny how something so trivial can just really **** a person off.

I was trying to find a nice pic of the very rare '97-'98 Bright Purple Metallic color, and all google would really pull up is 1) my 1 picture already uploaded to flickr, 2) my 4th generation Camaro history topic on CamaroZ28.com, 3) posts by the girl on here who seems to be the only person in the world who owns one of these Camaros (seriously! Why haven't many enthusiasts snatched these up over the years?!) and 4) a bunch of BPM Firebird/Formula/Trans Am stuff. In other words, NOTHING I was looking for.

So let me just tell you, that I have just helped the internet be a better place a few minutes ago, because I uploaded more than a dozen of the best pics I have saved over the years of this rare and beautiful color.

I'm also going to say everything I can about this color, so some accurate info is actually on the internet about it! Not many people on ls1tech know me for being a huge 4th gen nerd, but a lot of people on CamaroZ28.com know me for it.

Summary:
Bright purple metallic
used 1997-1998
paint code 88
1,364 total Camaros made in this color
Rarest 4th gen Camaro color dependent on body style ('97 was the old body style, '98 the new). 883 made in '97 and 481 made in '98. Approximately 104 '98s in this color were Z28s (some records show 109 as shown below, but numbers aren't 100% reliable no matter what because of worldwide sales), no SSes for either year.

And let me break it down further...

1997:
-809 were coupes and 74 were convertibles, totaling 883
-TWO Camaro Z28s with the 1LE package came in this color, both were 6-speeds
-SIXTEEN B4C police package Camaros came in this color, all were automatics

-Chevy either didn't keep records of how many Z28s and such they made prior to 1998, or I simply don't have that information.

1998:
-431 were coupes and 50 were convertibles, totaling 481
-ZERO Camaro Z28s with the 1LE package came in this color
-ZERO B4C police package Camaros came in this color
-THIRTY FOUR came with the Y3F Sport Appearance Package (in other words, 34 total V6 Camaros AND Z28 Camaros in this color came with what we all call RS ground effects and spoiler add-on. RS was not available in 1998. The Y3F package was more than just ground effects for the V6 Camaros. It was P235/55R16 tires, 16" aluminum 5 spoke wheels, and then the ground effects and spoiler add-on. The Z28s already came with those wheels, so for them, it was just ground effects and spoiler add-on.)
-Of the 431 coupes, 95 were Z28s
-Of the 50 convertibles, 14 were Z28s
-This makes a total of 109 Z28s
-ZERO SSes were this color

Anybody who can provide further information or pictures, please do! Please keep in mind that this topic is not about the much more common (yet still rare these days) Dark Purple Metallic or Purple Pearl Metallic colors shown below, so please do not post pics of cars in such colors. If you're not sure; Dark Purple Metallic is more red-purple, while the rare Bright Purple Metallic is more blue-purple.

Bright Purple Metallic 97-98:

Dark Purple Metallic 95-96:

Purple Pearl Metallic 93-94:

The pics I just uploaded will be in my next post...

1 of only 2 1LE Camaro Z28s to be made in Bright Purple Metallic in 1997, last known owner was named Joe Shovel

Obviously a very rare export Camaro made in this color. Even rarer in that it is a Z28!

A '97 Camaro RS in this color. I didn't upload a picture of the front, because it was missing the front ground effect piece.

Another '97 RS in this color, this time a convertible

A regular V6 Camaro in this color

I'm not familiar enough with the 3800 Series II V6 to even be able to tell if that's what is shoved inside this engine bay, but if so, here's a sadly very dirty engine bay picture:

Now... the good stuff. The '97 Z28:

Get ready to drop your teeth...

'98 Z28, pictures saved from... well... it should be obvious. This car is long gone. I saved these pictures probably 5 years ago.

And that's basically all the good pics I have. I checked autotrader and some other "for sale" sites today, and there aren't any good pics on there, muchless many in this color.

If you can provide high res pictures of a mint condition '97 or '98 Camaro in this color, please let me know or post here!!!

If you aren't a member of ls1tech.com and you're reading this, email me at speedbbb at aol.com, just make sure to write it like a regular email address.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you wanting stock looking pics, or can they be modded like my sig? what are you collecting pics for?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I prefer stock looking, but your car looks pretty good! Could you send me some really great high res photos? I prefer ones where the nose and rear aren't cut off in the pics.

I have a website I haven't worked on lately, but hope to get updated with more information in the future. You can check it out here:
http://brangeta.googlepages.com

I started making it last year, because the internet really doesn't have a great wealth of information about 4th gen history on it anymore. www.camarosource.ca is just about the best there is, but the site owner doesn't seem to update it currently, and he doesn't cover a few things I have info and pics on.

On my site, I plan on featuring some of the famous 4th gen Camaro show cars that many people have forgotten over the past 10 years (Camaro Casanova's comes to mind)... more production related information similar to what I have in this topic... information and pictures about rare aftermarket Camaros people just don't talk about anymore (Mecham Z29R, LG Motorsports ZR28, Callaway C8, Callaway SuperNatural Camaros, Hendrick Motorsports SS, etc.)... rare legitimate bodykits for the Camaro (Razzi 2000, Kobel Predator, etc.)... and more.

It's just a matter of organizing everything I have, cross-referencing materials so I can ensure some accuracy, and writing up the articles and uploading the pictures. For certain things, I don't have enough pictures. The Bright Purple Metallic Camaros are one of those, because I really don't think I have as good of pictures as I would like. And as they get older and older, and rarer and rarer, getting pictures of low mileage ones in great condition gets less and less likely.

To make an example, I really studied Callaway C8s for several years collecting pictures, information, talking to owners, etc. and I have probably the most accurate information available outside of information Reeves Callaway has. I have tons of pictures, but am always looking for more.

Some of the even rarer Camaros that never got as much press are even harder to cover. A great example would be the Cor-camaro. There were a series of these made by GM to test the C5 Corvette powertrain and fuel system. They are '97 Camaros basically on top of the C5 chassis, so they have a shorter wheel base, fender flares on the rear, etc. And I have very little information about them, and about 3 pictures... I could really use some help with that one...
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love this color.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting idea you have going, Brangeta. Good luck!

Personally, I'd love to see a forum dedicated to Camaros that is similar to the Corvette Forum (without all the uptight people). If I knew more about making a website, it would be something I'd undertake.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 PM

i recently bought a '98 camaro is this color, sadly it was in a front end collision before i got it and has a red hood and two black fenders. I love the orginal color and am going to have it repainted soon. Anyone know where I can buy the paint? I did not know that this color was so limited edition - i feel kind of special.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go through your Chevy dealership to get the paint, or through a very good paint/body shop that can order it. PPG sources the paint I believe, and the GM paint code is 88. I'd really like to see pictures of your car when you get it repainted, so make sure to post some in this topic!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

Default Purple 4th Generation Camaros

I was at a local cruise (2nd annual) with my car club and I saw a 1997 Bright Purple Metallic Hardtop Z28 go by. It was the Telegraph Cruise here in Michigan. That was a beautiful camaro. I would of had the owner pull into the lot but I saw it at the last second.

I know someone who is actually selling a 1998 Bright Purple Metallic T-Top A4 Z28 if you would like me to get you pictures. Only 26k miles on it too!

Brangeta, I know you are signed up on my F-Body Car Clubs website. I will have to see what you need because we have some rare 4th generation F-Bodies in the Club. 2002 Hot Rod Magazine Camaro (Daytona Yellow) They also own they GTZ Camaro, A couple of F-1 Camaros, one is T-Top and one Convertible, a few HOSS's, A few Lingenfelter WS6's, a couple BBM Camaros, a 97 LT4 Camaro SS and a couple handfuls of LT1 WS6's & SS's.

Let me know if your interested in any of them.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlpDave
I was at a local cruise (2nd annual) with my car club and I saw a 1997 Bright Purple Metallic Hardtop Z28 go by. It was the Telegraph Cruise here in Michigan. That was a beautiful camaro. I would of had the owner pull into the lot but I saw it at the last second.

I know someone who is actually selling a 1998 Bright Purple Metallic T-Top A4 Z28 if you would like me to get you pictures. Only 26k miles on it too!

Brangeta, I know you are signed up on my F-Body Car Clubs website. I will have to see what you need because we have some rare 4th generation F-Bodies in the Club. 2002 Hot Rod Magazine Camaro (Daytona Yellow) They also own they GTZ Camaro, A couple of F-1 Camaros, one is T-Top and one Convertible, a few HOSS's, A few Lingenfelter WS6's, a couple BBM Camaros, a 97 LT4 Camaro SS and a couple handfuls of LT1 WS6's & SS's.

Let me know if your interested in any of them.
SLPDave, I would ABSOLUTELY love it if you can get me pictures of the '98 with 26k miles! That's an offer I can't turn down! Keep an eye out for that '97 too!

(Short anecdote): I was in Las Vegas on vacation in the summer of 2007, and on the bridge from New York New York to MGM Grand and saw a '97 BPM Camaro, and I just about jumped out of my skin fuddling around trying to get my camera out of the case and turned on. I ended up missing it. It was absolutely gorgeous. Strangely one of the most memorable sights from the trip! (End of anecdote).

I know your club has some of the best Camaros in it, which is why I'm signed up. The F-1 Camaros particularly interest me, but only if they are visually original/stock. I won't be covering Firebirds to any great extent on my site (too difficult to keep up with the Camaros muchless the Firebirds), but I may have a VERY small section on them with only a few of the different special editions and aftermarket specials.

Some nice pictures of Glister's GTZ would be great, because most of the ones on my site are decent, but could be better. An engine shot as well as another interior shot or two would be awesome.

Information and pictures of the pre-'96 SS test cars would be really great if you ever found them. I'd be particularly interested in seeing the '93 Pace Car you guys used (I remember reading the interior was retained, but don't remember about the exterior) along with any other non-production color SSes. I think one was a '95 in medium quasar blue...? My memory is fuzzy about that stuff right now.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Brandon I will get you whatever I can. Nice to see someone wanting to keep track of the 4th generation camaro's history!

I will talk to the couple with the BPM Cmaro Z28 and get some good pictures!

I will see if our club member with the BBM Camaro Z28 has some nice pictures too! He has the gm ground effects kit on the car too!

I will talk to both owners of the F-1 Camaros and get info and pictures for you.

I believe I have some of the Glisters GTZ from over the years at the Club Events.

I will check on everything when I can.
Dave
Old 07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Dave, it was cool talking to you! It was a surprise too lol. "How did you get my phone number?" "OHHHHHH" LOL!

p.s. Was that your cell, or work number? You can answer that in PM if you want.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, that is a very dirty 3800, but I still love that color no matter what motor it is..
Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is that the way a 3800 normally looks in a Camaro fbodyrs96? Or do you think that car had an engine swap? Something about it doesn't look right to my untrained eye.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

other than my stock air box has been change it looks the same, just really dirty, now the 99-02 looks different because they have a straight throttle body.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, that much be why I didn't think it looked right--I'm more used to seeing the '99+ one, although I don't see them all that often. Thanks for the pics!

Last edited by Brangeta; 07-23-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's a DPM 93-97 body style (looks like a v6) Camaro (t-top)for sale up near Lewisville, TX off business 121 and Fish Hatchery Rd (near by) on the south side of the road.

they perviously had a DPM '95 Formula A4 coupe for sale there for months that just neded a little TLC. I checked out that car quite a few times. not sure if it ran, but had the SLP chome induction on it.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting. Have you seen a classified for it online anywhere?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Interesting. Have you seen a classified for it online anywhere?
i have not. i think the formula sold. its (camaro) just sitting there on the side of the road just east of the corner gas station at some pick a part car salvage...
Old 07-24-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does it have a really funny front ground effect on it?

That DPM Camaro is in Lewisville, that's why I ask. It wasn't for sale to my knowledge though, but if it's for sale now, I'd have to go check it out.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

There is a 98' V6 car on a lot by my work, but it has some really stupid pin-stripes on it... Car really sticks out, especially since you don't see them much.

Quick Reply: 1997 to 1998 Bright Purple Metallic Camaro, RS, Z28 *DON'T QUOTE PICS!!!*