Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

friend of mine needs some help with his 92 z28 motor wise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default friend of mine needs some help with his 92 z28 motor wise

Long story short he blew the 305tpi motor in it. He wanted to go bigger so he bought a normal 350 crate motor. He was told by the guy doing the work everything from the 305 motor can go on the new motor. Well they put everything on turned the key and it cranks but has no fuel pressure or spark at all. Now buddy told me they took out a aftermarket security system in it and im trying to find out if they did that before or after they couldnt get it running. If they did it before then they messed something up. If they didnt i was wondering what type of things would make it turn over but not start? Guy doing the work said he needs a new key but i find that hard to believe its that. He also has infl rset light and a ses light on it.

Trying to help my buddy out cause he put all his money into getting this thing to work and he doesnt have anymore :/
Old 07-25-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like they missed a sensor. I doubt he needs a new key. Did they put the tuned port heads on the crate engine? TPI heads are different from SBC heads. I don't know if it would keep the engine from running but it's a place to start. Also this may seem elementry, but it's important to make sure the distributor is set correctly and not 180* off. Also double check that all electrical connections have been plugged in. It does have the Pass Key system on it but if it started prior to the engine change then it wouldn't cause the engine to not fire. Also check the fuel pressure in the fuel rails, I have seen fuel pressure regulators go bad after being messed with. Hopefully they can find the problem without him spending too much more money, I know what it's like trying to fix your toy on a budget. GL