Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Help with cooling fan problems!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cooling fan problems!!!!

for starters i drive a 01 z28 ...i was washing my car with it running to keep the ac cold..i get in the car its hot as heck in there.. i looked at the ac compressor it keeps spinning slowly then locking up..so i took off the belt..i figured guess i have no ac now..well car over heats throws engine codes..never had problems with the car ever with anything ever..60k miles on it..engine codes p0480 and 481 ..the cooling fans will not come on replaced all relays...is there something on the ac compressor that could of told my pcm to keep the fans off..i dont know what to do..car runs great at 190 degrees unless i stop moving 1 minute at idle needle visably rises quickly need help please..has anyone heard of or experienced this problem
Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try disconnecting the plug on the A/C compressor then turn the A/C on in the car.... No Cold air is gonna come out but it will trick the car into thinking the A/C is on and kick the fans on constantly... Your compressor probably burnt out, But i dont know why the fans wouldnt turn on regardless... Just leave the fan speed low so you dont have outside air blowing in your face.... Did you get any electronics wet while washing your car????
Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Teching In

unplugged the a/c and turned it on..let it heat up..no fans turned on..i dont think i got anything wet hood was closed..i just bought a 160 stat to help keep it cool around town..anyone think that will damage anything..?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 160 stat will not make it run cooler.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

the fan control relay can cause that problem with the fans not coming on, also the coolant temp sensor. not sure how that would affect the a/c compressor

Quick Reply: Help with cooling fan problems!!!!