Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Buying a used 98 ss camaro need help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used 98 ss camaro need help?

my friend is thinking about buying a 98 camaro ss with 88,000 mles on it excellent body condition inerior is excellent as well. as far as engine and other other things, is there any thing my friend should look at specifically? The car is going for $8,000 6 speed t tops ls1 engine. should he get it any pointers? thanks for all the help
Old 11-10-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 98 Z28 used back in May and it has higher mileage but visually was in pretty good condition. I looked for any leaks in the engine bay, underneath as best I could, (obviously asked the owner if it had any as well)... On the test drive I made sure it had good oil pressure and the engine ran at a good temperature, battery had good voltage, and since it was an A4 I had to make some near WOT runs to make sure the trans was grabbing good. Test the brakes, test the steering and suspension, listen for any odd noises.

Check the window motors, power seats if it has them, windshield wipers, all exterior lights, horn, AC, heat, stereo... These are all little things but if one or a couple need fixing then maybe he can get some dollars taken off the price.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

other than suspension squeak look for anything unordinary like chrrris said. Just listen for any loud ticking from the engine bay and make sure its clean. Also check like where the spare goes. Im told if F-bodys are in any sort of fender bender the panels will wrinkle and theres no way to get rid of them unless of course and entire quarter is cut and put back in
Old 11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

look in every nook and cranny of the car.. when i bought mine i lifted up the rug where i could, moved seats, look under back seats, look in trunk under rug... see if theres any water damage where there shouldnt be.

see if it has any rust underneath (if any) and that would bring the price down

cruise in the car slow/fast/braking slow/fast. try to do every movement to see if theres any problems.

go on the highway or somewhere you can drive over 45 and check every gear that it doesnt grind, try reverse...

radio, AC, heat, windows, power seats... etc

look closely at the paint for dents, chips etc

idk if all this is nessicary but when i bought my z28 i did all of this plus more to make sure it was clean

on my car i ended up finding the drivers side window motor would need replacing, tires were beat to hell (wouldnt hold air longer than a day), the radio had to be reset (i looked up online how to do it so that was easy) and a decent amount of rust on the rear underside... so all these things got me $$ off ... otherwise mine ended up being a sound car

-kyle
Old 11-11-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

88,000 miles you should'nt have many problems. As long as you don't here any ticking or knocking from the engine. your in great shape. IT"S A CHEVY. All that other stuff, window motor etc. Thats expected of Camaro's. I paid $5000.00 for a mint 98z28 with 75,000 miles. All stock, add $1500.00 for ss model, and add money for added mods. you can check all that other stuff but it should"nt stop him or you from buying the best car in the world. And as long as your not overheating (should"nt be a problem with 88,000 miles) buy the car. $7000-7500 sounds better. Good luck, John
Old 11-11-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnp94
88,000 miles you should'nt have many problems. As long as you don't here any ticking or knocking from the engine. your in great shape.
If you don't hear ticking from the engine (namely valvetrain) I would be suspicious..
Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

well i'd check for all these little things cuz you never know if the owner drove it into a big "puddle" you'd be surprised...

Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

or i came across this...

Quick Reply: Buying a used 98 ss camaro need help?