Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My 2000SS M6 is tired. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2000SS M6 is tired. Thoughts?

I bought my SS w/40K and now it has 108K and is getting tired. A WRX blew me away a few days ago and it wasn't just by a little bit. He may have been super tweeked (a bit tweeked for certain) but he walked away from me so fast that I now hear every ping and believe that I'm driving a bus. The car is generally in great shape. Never any body damage and no mods except for brake upgrades. I have the typical high oil consumption but no more than I've always had. There is some piston slap until the engine reaches operating temp and I take it easy on the motor until it warms up. I need a plan. I suppose the first thing I should do is buy a new clutch. I can't see pulling the motor and not replacing the clutch. Should I pull and rebuild or should I buy a new motor? My main goal is durability with a desire to not get embarrassed by a Subaru. I'm thinking of a standard motor with maybe 50hp of NOS. Rebuild or new??? LS1, LS3, LS6??? I'm not even sure that an LS1 can be properly rebuilt. What do you do -- sleeve the cylinders? My expectation is that breathing a second life into this car is going to cost me about 7K. But I like the car and have maintained it completely by replacing everything that broke immediately and properly. Thoughts?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll probably get all kinds of opinions, and that's not bad. My advise is to price out an LS1 or LS6 long block from GMPP. You said you wanted reliability, they come with a warranty, but are cheaper that a complete engine. Then you can just transfer the remaining parts from the old engine. I would recommend an LS6 intake if you don't already have one.